Almost a kaboom

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Finally had a Saturday off that wasnt freezing cold or crazy windy. Decided to head to the range to shoot my BLR in 308 and also my Ruger SBH Hunter in 45lc. I had a box and a half of some Double Tap .45lc 300 grain @ 1300 I wanted to blast since I have found a more accurate hunting load. I went to the 50 yard range first as it was less crowded. I shot several cylindar fulls with the Ruger then sent a few down range with the BLR to kill time while waiting for target check. At target check, I pulled my target then moved all my stuff to the 100 yard range to play with the BLR some more.

I shot a bunch off hand, different positions, just fun practicing with the BLR. Then I decided to see what the Ruger did off sandbags at 100 yards just for kicks. Loaded up 6, got the crosshairs on target, cocked the hammer, CLICK. Huh. Thats odd. Never had a bad primer on a Double Tap round before. Oh well. Cock the hammer, get on target, start to sqeeze... and then that little voice in my head says "just check everything out." Pulled the cylinder and a whole bunch of powder falls out. Can see unburnt powder in barrel just ahead of cylindar. Scrape out powder and there is a 300 gr bullet looking at me. I'm really really glad that I didnt drop the hammer for a second shot. The powder was all clumped up and brown. Must have gotten wet? I have had this ammo in my spare room/ammo room since I purchased it. Never got hot, cold, damp, etc.

stuck bullet.jpg

unburnt powder.jpg

Wow! That would get your attention! Good job that you checked before pulling the trigger.

Brian,

Wow, that was a close call buddy! Glad you let your instincts take charge.
Not sure what happened there other than the powder didn't ignite.

JD338

Yup. Called a "squib load" - and yes for some reason the powder didn't go. It's not all that uncommon, and you're right, the next shot after that one could have been disastrous.

Glad your common sense prevailed, keeping you from firing when you had a bullet lodged in the barrel!

Hard to say why that powder didn't go. My guess would be that there was some substance in that case that contaminated the powder. Case lube? Something... May never know, but now you've got a great photo to share!

Usually those can be tapped out real easily, using a wooden dowel.

Regards, Guy

I agree with Guy, that a squib load is not all that uncommon. I would guess the subject came up at every instructor course I attended. I don't have numbers but would guess a squib load was reported once a month. Putting that in perspective, I ordered 100,000 rounds of practice ammo a year, for just shy of 100 officer's.
I recall three instances during which a round was fired behind the squib. A Sig 9mm (226), two Glock 21s. No one was hurt and all three needed the barrels replaced.
The trick for us during training was stopping the action, as the officer began a failure to feed drill.

I always watch out for a pop with no recoil, but just a click? I don't know if I would have caught that one!

First time I fired a handgun I had a squib load.
You got lucky, and listened to your inner voice, so we don't have to call you Stumpy. Way to be on the lookout.

Vince

From the looks of the location of the bullet in the forcing cone that would have been a very messy situation and possibly life threatening. Its always best to check the barrel after a click and no bang. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Back