Another good Range day with the Howa 6.5 CM

I have to say the 6.5 CM factory loads are pretty dang reliable! Don't know if it's just maybe got something to do with the cartridge or not. I've shot the 140 ELD match and the new Hornady black with the 140 HPBT match. And both loads hover around the 1/2" mark at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While shooting pistols this morning I decided to try a couple five shot groups this morning on the rifle range. Pretty happy with the results still!
dae029ad894b52e9f53b2621feeab347.jpg

Ya' have to like that. Terrible when you have a shooter on your hands. :mrgreen:

Looks like that Howa is getting it done for you. I have a Howa in a 22-250 that shoots great also.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Very happy with it. Would like to get another one. Maybe a standard barrel in 6.5x55 or 7mm08.

How is the trigger on your Howa? Mine is terrible. I will probably replace it with a timney.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I cut some coils off the spring in mine. It's 1 lb 10 oz right now. From the factory it was 3.5lbs. Just by using the adjustment screw I got it down to 2.8lbs. First rifle I've had with a two stage trigger, but it's growing on me.

Well back at the range today. Put the bottom metal back on instead of the detachable magazine. My 120 TTSX load wasn't doing as good as normal so I played with torque on action screws. 55 in lbs seems to be what it likes. The ones on 50 in lbs weren't to shabby either though. My target load with 120 HPBT matchking seemed to really like 50 in lbs though.
ca346f6b051250ea28debcac58633413.jpg
364d9dd3d127f3477fa9f1d3d33e6af0.jpg

Looks as if you have found the "magic" spot. It does give an individual serious satisfaction when things come together, and you've accomplished that.

Thanks guys just noticed I forgot to post a pick with the 120 matchking at 55 in lbs. so here it is, this was the last 5 shells I had of this load.
df8e80e5e1780c9a84035af70931812e.jpg

I've got some 120 GMX to try now with varget, and a fresh batch of 140 Gamekings to get set up with my new lot of RL16.

That particular load is definitely dialed in. You should have some encouraging results with both the GMX and Gameking bullets.

DrMike":1jzdafhp said:
That particular load is definitely dialed in. You should have some encouraging results with both the GMX and Gameking bullets.
Thanks DrMike! How do the GMX like to be seated in your opinion? I've never tried them before. They like a lot of jump like most bonded or mono bullets? Thinking about starting around .040" off the lands.

The GMX is not a copper bullet. In discussions with ballistic techs at Hornady and in my own experience, they can be loaded just as one would load a cup-and-core bullet. When I have loaded GMX bullets, I began at 0.010 inches off the lands. I did work up some loads that allowed a significant jump, but saw no advantage to doing so.

Ohh ok thanks DrMike I'll start at .010-.015" off the lands and go from there. How did you like the GMX performance on game? Just wondering if it's a little softer than the Barnes and minimum velocity for exspansion.

They do seem to expand more readily than do the Barnes. However, I have been able to get better accuracy from both Barnes TSX and E-Tips in a variety of cartridges.

Back