anyone have a secret brisket seasoning recipe?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Thinking to start using my own home made seasonings from scratch for now on when I smoke meats in the Traeger. I am smoking a 18 pound brisket tomorrow evening throughout the night until around noon the following day. Possibly a 15 to 17 hour cook or longer, depending on conditions and stall time. I googled some recipes for seasonings and I have a few listed.
Anyone have any home made brisket rub seasonings to share?

No secret. My brisket gets a rub consisting of equal parts Kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and garlic salt. I have used at times ancho pepper to inpart a bit more bite, but I can't see that it improves on the bark from the current rub. I've used mustard as a binder, but in recent years I use no binder. I prefer to use butcher paper rather than foil as it gives a crisper bark, which makes the burnt ends more tasty. Foil will make the meat somewhat more juicy, but it becomes a matter of preference. I let the brisket rest (after reaching 205 F to 210 F) for up to four hours in a cooler. I make a brisket sauce for those that wish to sauce their brisket after it is sliced and served. The name of the game for smoking is low and slow. I use a super smoker made from heavy gauge wire filled with wood pellets. Mine provides a heavy smoke for about 6 to 7 hours in addition to the smoke from my Traeger.

No secret. My brisket gets a rub consisting of equal parts Kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and garlic salt. I have used at times ancho pepper to inpart a bit more bite, but I can't see that it improves on the bark from the current rub. I've used mustard as a binder, but in recent years I use no binder. I prefer to use butcher paper rather than foil as it gives a crisper bark, which makes the burnt ends more tasty. Foil will make the meat somewhat more juicy, but it becomes a matter of preference. I let the brisket rest (after reaching 205 F to 210 F) for up to four hours in a cooler. I make a brisket sauce for those that wish to sauce their brisket after it is sliced and served. The name of the game for smoking is low and slow. I use a super smoker made from heavy gauge wire filled with wood pellets. Mine provides a heavy smoke for about 6 to 7 hours in addition to the smoke from my Traeger.
I do it similar to you, I still use peach paper. I used kosher salt, coarse black pepper, with some garlic and onion powder, a little cayenne pepper and some paprika and smoked paprika. I use a thin layer of mustard, not too much though. I did mine to 203 degrees internal, at 225 degrees . I never tried 4 hour rests, but I'll try it someday, just too hungry to wait that long that I did 2 hours at the most. I hear the longer the rest, the better. There is a Rudy's BBQ sauce where you buy it at the Rudy's BBQ joint, they come in mild or spicy flavors. I have that metal tube container that you can fill with pellets and light it up with a torch, but have not used it lately, the smoke along from the Traeger is fine for me.
Thanks for sharing the recipe guys.

Back