Anyone loading 458 Socom?

wayno945

Handloader
Jan 29, 2012
Hey guys, my Rock River upper just came in the other day. Is anyone loading this caliber? I have plenty of RL7 and H110 on hand as well as some 405 cast and 300 BT I would like to try. I'm also thinking of picking up some piledriver jrs to try. Feel free to share some pet loads if you got them :mrgreen:

If you give me some specs Wayne I can run QL for you on your powders. I think just about anything that works in the 45-70 will work fine in the SOCOM.

Thanks Scotty. Unfortunately my fl sizing die didn't want to cooperate this weekend. First starline case went into the die and hasn't come out. Ripped the rim off the case. Not a great start to the weekend.

Once you've got ammo in production (bummer about the die!) I'll be real interested in your results.

Seems like a modern, semi-auto, version of the old .45/70! I like!

Guy

wayno945":3uwiespz said:
Thanks Scotty. Unfortunately my fl sizing die didn't want to cooperate this weekend. First starline case went into the die and hasn't come out. Ripped the rim off the case. Not a great start to the weekend.
what dies ya got? your cases necked or just basic 50 cases?
RR

are they 458 formed cases or just basic 50 cal cases? I took an @$$ kicken of biblical proportions trying to form 458 from basics, cause in 1992 there was no 458 socom brass. I had 4DHT dies or something, never did I successfully get a case sized with those dies, bought a set of lees and bam, never missed a stitch.
RR

Back