Are the VX-L Leupolds worth the money???

m1aggie01

Beginner
Sep 9, 2007
Guys,

I have never spent more than about $100 bucks on a scope and that was a refurbished Simmons 44 Mag when you could still get them. It has served its purpose and I have been happy with it. My problem is trying to decide if I really should spend $750 bucks on a scope for the type of hunting I am going to be doing the most.

I am about to purchase one of the new X-bolts in .280 Rem and want a nice scope to go with it.

I hunt mainly in the thick woods of East Texas with an occasional hunt in Southwest Texas. My shots would mostly be UNDER 250-300 yds and most probably no longer than 150 yds. Low light ability will be a must as East Texas deer show up right before the end of legal hunting time and the dense tree cover locks out light earlier than you folks in the Midwest might experience.

I have looked at the VX-L and really like the 50mm model with the new front objective on them. I have also looked at the Monarch and the Conquest and they all look about the same to me as far as clarity is concerned.

I am stuck and need some advice. To complicate things, I want to start reloading and I do have a Simmons 3x9x42mm Expedition scope that will get me started for now. This would leave me funds to start my reloading.

Help me PLEASE!!!! TIA :)

It all depends on what you want to spend. More cash usually equals a clearer glass, better warrenty, more recoil resistant, more reliable adjustment and more adjustment. If you want to upgrade from the simmons there are several good scopes between 100 and 750 dollars;)

for 150 you can get a Nikon prostaff then to 250 is the buckmaster with good light capeability - equal to the Leupald VX III (in light transmission only). Bushnell Elite 4200's Monarchs, Sightron BigskyII's to name a few are good scopes for the 350-500 mark. The list goes on.

I would suggest you look at the Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36 and the 3.5x10x40.
Both are excellent scopes that will do the job for you and are much lighter than the 50mm not to mention a lot less money.

JD338

+1 to what JD said about the 2.5-8X36mm. I have two of these, and love them. I believe they are the best combo of lightweight, clarity, size, customer service, and price. Mount it on a set of low rings for a nice firm cheek weld.

Also, I have owned a few Nikon Pro Staff's and they were very good for the money. About $100 for a 2-7X32mm.[/quote]

Thanks for the input guys. Although my X-bolt is made in Japan, Browning is an American company (I think??) and I would like to purchase a USA made scope to put on it.

m1aggie01":jlvk95hr said:
Thanks for the input guys. Although my X-bolt is made in Japan, Browning is an American company (I think??) and I would like to purchase a USA made scope to put on it.
And you can't beat the service of Leupold either.

JD338

The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is assembled here in the US (so it would fit your criteria of at least being somewhat American-made, like the Browning rifle), and it can be yours for around $375 if you're willing to shop around a bit. Nothing, and I mean nothing in it's price class compares to that scope for my eyes. On the less expensive side, I love my Bushnell Elite 3200's which can be had for $170 or so. I've had no trouble shooting sub-.5" 100yd groups with one of them on my 270Wby, and I have had zero trouble in low light picking out targets, either.

As for the handloading part, plan to spend about $300-400 on that, including a bench to mount the press on, powder, dies, bullets, and incidentals along the way. You might do it cheaper if you use Lee's new Challenger kit (which looks good, and will get the job done) but you'll still spend something like $200 or so for the kit, dies, powder, bullets, and a bench. It's well worth it. Don't plan on saving money, though. Plan on shooting more.

You can also look for a used scope, I see used VXIIIs for sale for example. Leupold also honors the warranty. Also the Leupold option will probably be the lightest option if weight is a concern for you.

I agree that the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X is a lot of glass for the $.

I think you will have enough optics with a good quality 3-9X40 scope. The VX-L is more of a good thing, but I would try the 40 mm objective scopes first.

I started reloading with a $9.95 Lee hand loader, and then worked my way up from there adding tools and equipment as I could. Again you can find used loading equipment for sale too.

good shooting...jim

HunterJim":1fmb2j8o said:
You can also look for a used scope, I see used VXIIIs for sale for example. Leupold also honors the warranty. Also the Leupold option will probably be the lightest option if weight is a concern for you.

I agree that the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X is a lot of glass for the $.

I think you will have enough optics with a good quality 3-9X40 scope. The VX-L is more of a good thing, but I would try the 40 mm objective scopes first.

I started reloading with a $9.95 Lee hand loader, and then worked my way up from there adding tools and equipment as I could. Again you can find used loading equipment for sale too.

good shooting...jim

Where are you finding these for sale?? Got an extra in the 40mm version??? :grin:

I see the used scopes for sale on the 24Hr Campfire in the Free Classified forum. Other folks have bought them on eBay, but I haven't tried that source.

You do have to have patience working the used market, and you might start with a VariX III -- which is not a bad place to begin. ;)

When I was in Montana last November for an elk hunt with my cousin we visited several gun stores. All seemed to have used Leupold scopes for sale, but I didn't check them out.

jim

HunterJim":1dszjw8s said:
I see the used scopes for sale on the 24Hr Campfire in the Free Classified forum. Other folks have bought them on eBay, but I haven't tried that source.

You do have to have patience working the used market, and you might start with a VariX III -- which is not a bad place to begin. ;)

When I was in Montana last November for an elk hunt with my cousin we visited several gun stores. All seemed to have used Leupold scopes for sale, but I didn't check them out.

jim

Thanks again.

JD338":30ue428f said:
I would suggest you look at the Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36 and the 3.5x10x40.
Both are excellent scopes that will do the job for you and are much lighter than the 50mm not to mention a lot less money.

JD338

Yup! I agree.

M1aggie01, If your looking for a Leupold product I might be able to help you out. I have a 3.5X10X40 thats approximately 1 1/2 years old. It's got Matte medium Leupold Rings and two piece bases that fit a Remington model 700 and other models with that spacing. I've got the original box and the scope for all intents and purposes is brand new. I replaced it because it had too much power for what I was using a scope for. I'm asking $250.00 if your interested.

big rifle man":1b40a94s said:
M1aggie01, If your looking for a Leupold product I might be able to help you out. I have a 3.5X10X40 thats approximately 1 1/2 years old. It's got Matte medium Leupold Rings and two piece bases that fit a Remington model 700 and other models with that spacing. I've got the original box and the scope for all intents and purposes is brand new. I replaced it because it had too much power for what I was using a scope for. I'm asking $250.00 if your interested.

Mr. Aggie,

That is a great deal, I would jump on that!

jim

What about a fixed 6X? That's what I chose for my 338 Federal, a Leupold FX III 6X42, to be exact. Cost: $379.00. It's future use will be hunting elk on Washington's Olympic Peninsula. It's plenty of magnification for 300 yards, brighter than most anything out there, with plenty of non-critical eye relief. It'll be brighter than a VX-L 50mm at 7X or less (fewer lenses), much lighter, and about as sturdy as you can get too.

Ed

big rifle man":n2x811mk said:

Guys,

Please notice that big rifle man has the scope for sale! ;)

jim

To the fellow gun owners that wrote me in regards to the Leupold scope listed above please E-mail me at fonzie132@aol.com and I can give you the rest of the particulars on your questions. As I mentioned it's in Brand New condition.

Thanx

HunterJim":113ukhx7 said:

jim

Took your advice and found what I was looking for on 24hrcampfire.com

Placed a WTB and sure enough I got a bite :lol:

Thanks

m1aggie01":y3433yka said:
Took your advice and found what I was looking for on 24hrcampfire.com

Placed a WTB and sure enough I got a bite :lol:

Thanks

Way cool dude!

As the kids around here say...jim

Back