AZ antelope and elk

BP736

Beginner
Oct 7, 2008
It has been a great hunting season for my dad and I. I shot an 83" antelope and a 330ish bull elk. My dad shot a nice 5x5 bull. I shot my antelope at 422 yards with a Ruger No. 1 280 Rem. with 140 gr. Accubonds. My load is 57 gr. of RL 19. This load shoots 3050 fps from my rifle. We saw a lot of antelope before the season started and I shot this one on opening morning. It is 15 1/2" tall with 6 1/2" prongs. I shot my elk with my 300 Weatherby with 200 gr. Accubonds (that I bought from Pop, thanks Pop). My load is 77.5 gr of RL 22. One shot behind the shoulder. My dad was using a model 700 280 Rem. with 160 Accubonds. His bullet was the only one recovered. It weighed 113 grains after breaking several ribs and lodging in the far shoulder. It was a great elk hunt with an unbelievable rut. Our season was 10/22-10/25. We were in an area with a lot of elk and the bulls bugled like crazy every morning from first light until about 8:30. We shot both bulls from the same herd at about 125 yards.

My antelope
View attachment DSCN1807.JPG

My elk
View attachment DSCN1850.jpg

Dads elk
View attachment DSCN1856.jpg

Some fine looking animals on the ground for you. The 280 has to be one of my favourite (if not my favourite) cartridge. It performed well for you both. Of course, the 300 Wby is a classic cartridge for elk. Congratulations on some fine game.

Congratulations and you're more than welcomed!

Great job and great shooting. Some wonderful animals and memories for sure! The .280 is sooooooo good and of course you cannot say anything bad about the 300 Weatherby! Good job to both of you. :)

Awesome hunt and pictures. Sounds like a dream season for sure! Hard to go wrong with the big 300's and elk! Scotty

Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us. Those are all outstanding animals, especially that antelope, WOW!

Great choice of calibers and rifles. Again, congratulations, I know how special it is to be able to hunt with your dad.

Congrats on a fine hunt. The elk are fine trophys and that antelope WOW. Father and son hunts are always great and yours was blessed with great success too.
Thanks for sharing.
Greg

Those are some beautiful animals, congratulations to you and your Dad.
The 280 Remington is a great round, one of my favorites!

JD338

What a terrific Hunt you had, not very often that kind of success happens, Congrats.

Don

What a great experience you must of had and with your pop would make it even better.
Those are some great trophies enjoy the table fare.

Blessings,
Dan

Back