AZ ELK/ANTELOPE

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
The application period for these animals closes tonight at 7:00 PM 02/14/2013.

Even if you don't want to hunt these animals this year, if you plan to hunt them in the future, you can purchase a Bonus Point. I've seen people with 9+ Bonus Points not get drawn for elk so start putting in earlier is my advice.

I've put in for AZ antelope for the last 33 years and have not drawn a tag yet. I have more than enough bonus points.
Paul B.

PJ, Your example is why I limit my hunting in AZ to a select few species.
Give me a coues tag and I'm good but I would like an AZ Elk tag one of these days.

PJ,
I hope you finally get an AZ antelope tag this year. I was 0-24 before I got my first tag. I'm a little uncomfortable admitting this... But now I've had 3 rifle antelope tags over a 5 year period! It's been 2 years since the last one. What units do you put in for? Good luck!
BP

wayno945":3ko0eeet said:
Are you applying for the early hunts Vince? Those draw odds are terrible.

I'm just applying for Bonus Points right now Wayne.

I know folks with nine or ten Bonus Points that can't get drawn. Of course it depends on the unit and what hunt you put in for too. The bad thing with AZ is, if you get drawn, even if not a first choice you lose your Bonus Points.

I know what you mean. So far I'm 1 for 2 with the elk draw, last year I drew 22N late season but it was a difficult hunt for sure. The area I hunted was pretty concentrated with other hunters. I put in for cow hunts for a few of my choices this year because my freezer is empty and I want some elk steak! Here's to hoping for some better luck this year!

Vince":2kmhatrv said:
wayno945":2kmhatrv said:
Are you applying for the early hunts Vince? Those draw odds are terrible.

I'm just applying for Bonus Points right now Wayne.

I know folks with nine or ten Bonus Points that can't get drawn. Of course it depends on the unit and what hunt you put in for too. The bad thing with AZ is, if you get drawn, even if not a first choice you lose your Bonus Points.

Looks like I will be chasing elk this fall in Arizona and Montana! Game and Fish charged my credit card tonight, which is the only time I'm happy to see charges there :) Now I just have to wait for what zone I drew.

Congratulations! That sounds great. Where in AZ will you hunt either of these critters?

Most likely zone 10, the area northwest of Williams, AZ. I don't think the "official" results will be out for a few weeks. My Montana hunt will be outside the Missoula area.

Just my hunter ed point so I probably drew a cow tag. My first choice was unit 10 bull which was about 30% draw success rate. Honestly, I'm just happy to have another chance to chase some elk this year.

Well, I'll at least be diong a cow elk hunt in New Mexico. I just booked with the outfitter to do another hunt next January. I've done two elk hunts (cow hunts) with him and brought home meat both times. I can't complain about that. :lol: I'll have to wait and see what AZ does with my apps but based on past experience, I'm not holding my breath.
This last January I hunted with a fellow from another site I go to. We shared the guide and had a great successful hunt. At my age, it's nice to have some husky young dude help getting the meat out. :wink:
Paul B.

PJGunner":1soj2vtc said:
At my age, it's nice to have some husky young dude help getting the meat out. :wink:
Paul B.

Ain't that the truth!

Back