B.C. LEH synopsis out early

Hi gerry please keep us informed on what you are putting in for. Best of luck to you my friend :).
Always nice to get in on a draw it normally is a little easier as there is not as much hunting pressure :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Oh my... let's see if I will be successful in this years draw. The last 2 years in a row I ended up with nil.

Maybe it's because we got a moose draw in 2011 as a group.

Now, to engage in the delectable art of selecting where to enter.

My wife Maria is going to apply for:

Bull moose - locally
Antlerless Elk - over in DrMike's stomping grounds
Ewe or lamb Bighorn - down where my best friend lives.

I'm going to apply for:

Bull Moose - locally
Antlerless Elk - same as above
Ewe or lamb Bighorn - same as above
Goat - locally
Grizzly - locally.

Maria and I are going to apply for moose on a shared tag where 2 hunters get one tag, the elk and sheep will be for a group hunt where if drawn we would each get a permit.

Pretty strange and very cool to be applying together with my wife :)

That would be great to have you two over as guests, Gerry. Best of luck in all your draws.

Who knows, if we strike out on the elk and moose draws that August 15 moose hunt is awfully attractive....

It will be neat to see what you and our fellow B.C. hunters will be applying for. One of the best days of the year when the LEH synopsis comes out :)

Of course, I'll be applying for grizzly in this area this fall. I believe I have one more good grizzly hunt in the north, and I'm saving for that in a year or two to go on an extended hunt there. For the time being, I'll endeavour to draw on nearby hunting grounds. I will apply for the late season cow draw, though I've spoiled it for the past several years by downing an elk during the regular season. Though my knee is giving me quite a bit of trouble, I may still put in for goat. There is one hunt nearby that is a relatively easy climb. Should I be so lucky, I could still tag out on goat. I didn't notice a bison draw this year, however. I'm urging my grandson to put in for the young draw on moose calf, elk and mule deer.

I'm intrigued to note the number of entries in Region Two for elk. I've hunted Indian River extensively in years past and taken quite a few black bears out of there. I never saw any elk, so that was quite a surprise. The same is true of the Pitt and Stave River areas. I've hunted those areas for mule deer and fished the area for years; it is rather neat to note that they have sufficient elk numbers to host a draw.

I got to dreaming as I reviewed the goat hunt in Yohetta. I've hunted moose in that area and fished there. I remember watching the goats while stalking moose in the valleys. All great stuff.

gerry & Mike, you 2 really live in a hunter's paradise. I can see why you guys fell in love with that part of the country it truly is beautiful :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

We are blessed to have as much choice as we do. Good luck to all on the draw this year.

Getting a Rosie would be nice Mike, going to try in your area though since it would be easier for Maria and it obviously would be a fun hunt. Hope you can get some good permits this year.

If I get no permits, I've already picked up tags for elk, moose, black bear and whitetail. I have no complaints. I may yet pick up a tag for caribou and spend some time up north this fall. I believe I can get you can Maria into some moose that wouldn't be terribly strenuous (other than cutting and packing, and that's why she has you along, Gerry) in the early season.

I don't suppose any of you are aware of an obscure reg or bylaw that would allow a resident of the lower 48 (that happens to be 1/4 Canadian) to be eligible to put in for hunts as a local?!?!?! That 25% Canadian blood running thru my veins has got to be worth something, right????

maverick2":hyxr3z9t said:
I don't suppose any of you are aware of an obscure reg or bylaw that would allow a resident of the lower 48 (that happens to be 1/4 Canadian) to be eligible to put in for hunts as a local?!?!?! That 25% Canadian blood running thru my veins has got to be worth something, right????

Which quarter?

DrMike":10noajiu said:
maverick2":10noajiu said:

Which quarter?

Depends -- which hunts are we talking that I'd be eligible for???

Good response. :mrgreen:

Seriously, the law does not allow non-residents (even Canadians living outside of Canada) to hunt without a guide. Canadians living in other provinces can hunt with a licensed hunter who applies for a permit to guide.

DrMike":36r95og3 said:
Good response. :mrgreen:

Seriously, the law does not allow non-residents (even Canadians living outside of Canada) to hunt without a guide. Canadians living in other provinces can hunt with a licensed hunter who applies for a permit to guide.

Yeah, I had actually already checked into that and knew that, as I've got a good friend that owns a farm in Southern Saskatchewan that I've been invited to hunt. I just haven't been able to make it work out timing and budget wise... yet...

I hope you get the chance to hunt some of these northern climes one day. Alaska certainly has some fine hunting, but as I recall the laws on out-of-state hunters can be a tad onerous, as well.

Wow, that was probably the earliest I put in for my LEH draws.

Filled them out last night for Region 4 elk, Region 4/8 sheep, and Region 8 Mule deer.

I am not expecting too much this year. It falls within the 3 years of us getting and being successful on a shared moose hunt in 2011.

We'll see.

The reduced odds for moose only affect the moose draw, you will be fine for the others. Good luck.

Wishing all the BC guys from the forum good luck in the upcoming draw :wink:. The Saskatchewan draw is not until May :(, oh well not to worried as we have regular season on Elk, Bull Moose & Whitetail.

Blessings,
Dan

Back