B-Tips in .270 Win for black bears

Boresighter

Beginner
Mar 30, 2008
What do you all think of using 130gr ballistic tips on black bears at moderate range out of a 270 win?Is it doable?

I agree with YoteSmoker, it is doable, but why? The BT would probably perform well, but you KNOW the AccuBond or Partition will do the job.

I shot a black bear a couple of years ago with my 270 WSM using 140 grain Nosler Partitions. That load gave perfect performance, the bear never took another step.

YoteSmoker":1450hmo5 said:
It's doable but a 130 Partition or AccuBond would not be questionable.

+ 1 on what YoteSmoker said; it might do the job and then it might not coming apart especially if the bear is on the large size and because of angle or bone it does not hold together. Why take the chance when you have the Partition, AccuBond and E-Tip to choose from?

+2 to what YoteSmoker said.

Go with either the AB or PT.

JD338

Of course it will do the job...However if you really wanna use a NBT, I would opt for the 150g NBT, since you said moderate range. Little slower, but will give better penetration and more energy. THe slower impact velocity will ensure better penetration then a 130g NBT and provide better results.

Nothing wrong with AB's or partitions though...

Thanks that's what I thought I just wanted to see if anyone has done it.They shoot so well in my rifle that I was toying with the idea of using them.I will go and get some partitions and work up a load to use I just have several hundred b-tips laying around.

Honestly a lot of my buddies use 270's and 30-06's for elk out here in Wyoming. They have dropped truckloads using the 130 and 165 BT's!!! Never a problem so far. However I err on the safe side.

BTW one guy shot a 6x6 bull at 90 yards with a 300 rum and 180 BT at 3335 fps MV. Went trough both shoulders. Dropped like a load of lumber. :p

Now I'm a big fan of the Ballistic Tip...Here's my experience with the .270 Winchester using the 130gr B-Tip. South-West Texas a few years back my buddy and I went hunting. He shot a Whitetail buck, quartering to, at about 180 yards. He hit him just in-front of the on-side shoulder and we recovered the bullet near the rear ham. The next day he shot a large Aoudad Sheep at 52 yards. Sharp quartering to angle. He hit him just like the whitetail...just in-frount of the onside shoulder. Penetration was only about 6 inches. He got the Aoudad, but a more solid bullet would have been a better choice. The next day I shot a Whitetail Buck with the same load at 110 yards. Hit just behind the on-side shoulder and a quarter sized exit hole in-front of the off-side ham.

I realize a bear is probably closer in stature to the whitetail and not the Aoudad, so I would go for it.

I wouldn't do it "no way". Use the right bullet for the job at hand. The Partition and the AccuBond are up to this task by design.

A 150gr Partition or at the lest a 140gr Partition is what I would use in the 270win. I have acualy use the 150gr Partition on moose, and white-tail deer and it works great.

Black bears are not built like deer and if you have ever skined and butchered one thats above 300lbs or even 250 lbs you would see the difference. More Hair, more fat, more mussle , and bigger bones. Bears live off all this bone, mussle, and fat while hibernating deer do not and thats a big differance.

The 150gr Partition is my min weight for the 270win and black bears where a 20 yard shot is very reallistic shot.

High velocity rounds are not needed but work as long as the bullet penitrates deep and you want an exit wound too. I have a 270win but my bear guns are the 35rem, 358win, and 35whelen using bullets that can go right thougth any black bear ( 250gr/225gr Partition and a 220gr speer for the rem).

I am still hoping for Nosler to make bullets for the 35rem.

Your average bear is no bigger then a decent size buck.

A 130g NBT will definately do the job on most bears. Would I want it for a big bear, probly not my 1st choice, but it would due the job with proper shot placement on your part.

I"ve killed 3 bears at at 350-450 yards with a 25-06 Rem, 2 with 115g NBT's, and 1 with Sierra 117g Gameking.

These were average 175-200 lb bears. 2 of them took 2 shots, the other took 1 shot.

I"m pretty sure a 130g out of a .270 would give very similar performance.

My 308 CZ550 doesn't know the difference between the 180 B-tip and Accu-bond. Doesn't miss a beat, Max charge of IMR 4064(44.0), Fed GM brass & Primer. Shoots sub MOA all day, everyday with either. Just the AB 2nd's were cheaper than NBT 1st's. :grin: Thanks, SPS.

CC.

tjen":1je5dn46 said:
High velocity rounds are not needed but work as long as the bullet penitrates deep and you want an exit wound too. I have a 270win but my bear guns are the 35rem, 358win, and 35whelen using bullets that can go right thougth any black bear ( 250gr/225gr Partition and a 220gr speer for the rem).

I am still hoping for Nosler to make bullets for the 35rem.

The 35 calibers are awesome for bear. The 35 Whelen is just about perfect for hunting big bears off bait. :wink:

JD338

Thanks remingtonman_25_06, well stated. I was not saying the black bear is exactly the same as a whitetail, but more closely in stature to a whitetail than a Aoudad. Sure I'd like something a little bigger, but, I think it would get the job done, without causing too much havok. Now if the question was a .22 centerfire to hunt bear with, I'd have a different answer. I personally plan to use my .300 Win Mag. over my .25-06 for bears.

Black Bears are quick to die with a properly placed bullet. In many parts where bears are hunted over bait, the cover is usually thick.
Bears have a lot of fur to soak up blood and the tallow (fat) can also plug up a hole. The other thing to keep in mind is that many bears are shot at last light.
For these reasons, you want an exit wound from any angle that will allow for a blood trail if needed. Tough bullets like an AB or PT will give you an exit wound. The larger calibers will just give you a bigger exit.

JD338

My point was to use the best bullet that was design for what is needed for black bears. The caliber veries if your in the mtns or in thick brush, but why use a b-tip when you can use either a Partition or AccuBond?

As stated by Nosler any 30cal or less b-tip regaurdless of weight is designed for 14" of penitration on deer sized game.

I have taken 3 bears two over 300lbs with a recurve bow so it is shot placement that counts. And I got 100% penitration which was by intent the same as I do with bullets.

I would use my 270win on any thing but brown bears with complete confidance, if it were the only gun I had, but with the right bullets for the job at hand.

Just my 2 cents on bear hunting.

JD338":1pglztxq said:
Black Bears are quick to die with a properly placed bullet. In many parts where bears are hunted over bait, the cover is usually thick.
Bears have a lot of fur to soak up blood and the tallow (fat) can also plug up a hole. The other thing to keep in mind is that many bears are shot at last light.
For these reasons, you want an exit wound from any angle that will allow for a blood trail if needed. Tough bullets like an AB or PT will give you an exit wound. The larger calibers will just give you a bigger exit.

JD338

Very well said about black bears and a good exit hole which means a well constructed bullet that will open up but stay together. I really like a 30 cal on a black bear but other smaller cal. will do the job as well. 30, 338, 35, 375 cal. will leave plenty big enough exit hole for blood to be followed.

Back