Back to Newfoundland for Moose

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
:grin: ..Yup, In gods will I'm going back to Newfoundland for Moose, this time I'll make sure my damn camera is strapped to my neck :lol: ..It's my early 50th birthday present from my wife and daughters :grin: ..Both the 7mag and 375 H&H well make the trip, they both shoot so well in both Sako's, although the 7mag with the 160gr PT's well handle any Moose, the 375 H&H with 300gr Swift A-frames well go to work!
Hunt is booked for Nov 9th and have either sex tag 8) 8)

Lou :twisted: :twisted:

What? No more moose in Ontario? Just yanking your chain, Lou. Sounds like a plan. Enjoy. Will your wife and daughter be hunting? Or is dad the only one toting a rifle?

Congrats Lou.
The 375 H&H should get r done.

JD338

That's great news Lou! I know it has been touch and go. Those two rifles are set up perfect!

DrMike":1x17b86b said:
What? No more moose in Ontario? Just yanking your chain, Lou. Sounds like a plan. Enjoy. Will your wife and daughter be hunting? Or is dad the only one toting a rifle?

Thanks guys and Mike :) ..Right now it's just myself, and possibly another good friend Mike, I won't know until late summer. If it's me alone, I'm going to fly out again via air Canada to Deer lake, and Peter well pick me up from the motel, the flight arrives just after midnight on the Saturday. I won't book the flight until maybe late Sept, or early October if I'm alone. If my friend comes, then we well just do the drive, 20 hours driving plus another 7 hours or so on the ferry :shock:

Top notch outfitters, with excellent guides,cook and camp as well!..I've never met a bunch of people as friendly as these newfys, #1 in my books :grin:
Lou

Lou,

Best of luck and have fun. You will be in my prayers, not so much for a successful hunt but for good health, peace, and more opportunities if it is God's will.

Vince

Best of luck on your hunt. Many moose steaks in your freezer!! Hopefully one day I'll draw a moose tag here in Montana. Fantastic rifles you have lined out for your trip too! The countdown begins. :mrgreen:

Vince":ik114y1b said:
Lou,

Best of luck and have fun. You will be in my prayers, not so much for a successful hunt but for good health, peace, and more opportunities if it is God's will.

Vince

Thanks Vince, that's mighty nice of you my friend :) ..I wish you the same pal :)
I'm still over coming my injury, and face some long term physical rehab, but I'm a fighter, and won't give up on what life has to offer.
Lou :)

Lou, you and your 2 Sako best friends are going on a Moose hunt congratulations. Life is good :mrgreen: I know my happiest months are always from September thru to the end of December!!!

Blessings,
Dan

My buddies and I will be heading to Newfoundland for a moose/bear hunt in September. We will also be pulling into Deer Lake. I'll be hauling a fully enclosed 4' x 8' trailer with my Sequoia.
We've got 3 hunters and a photographer coming along on this one. We will be meeting 3 buddies who are driving up from Virgina and meeting us in Bangor Maine. With a little luck we'll be taking a heavy load of game out of Canada :lol:.

My primary rifle will be a semi-custom 338 RUM that shoots the 250gr Partition bullet under an inch @ 300yds reliably. Back-up will be my 45-70 loaded up with some 425gr Pile-Drivers. Either should be more than adequate for the intended game.

This will be our first hunting trip to Newfoundland and everyone is pretty excited as we get close to our hunting date which was booked nearly 2 years ago.

Wishing you every success, Charlie. Newfoundland certainly has a plethora of moose and ample black bear. The Newfies are great people. You will enjoy yourselves.

Charlie, trust me, it well be the best hunting trip you ever had :) ...I bet you all get your moose, providing the hunters do there part, well you know what I mean..you'll see plenty of moose right from the get go, you might/should see maybe 10-20 moose on a weeks hunt, you could be picky on the first or second day, but after that take anything that walks if you wanna fill your frezzer with some prime moose meat :twisted:

You certainly chose the best place in the world for your moose hunt, that's for sure.

Congrats,Lou :)

Here's my spot :grin:

http://www.westwoodsoutfitters.com

Charlie congratulations on this years Moose hunt. They say that Newfondland is the Moose capital of North America.
Looking forward to the stories & photos this coming September.

Blessings,
Dan

Sako 85":1gqm78tj said:
DrMike":1gqm78tj said:

Thanks guys and Mike :) ..Right now it's just myself, and possibly another good friend Mike, I won't know until late summer. If it's me alone, I'm going to fly out again via air Canada to Deer lake, and Peter well pick me up from the motel, the flight arrives just after midnight on the Saturday. I won't book the flight until maybe late Sept, or early October if I'm alone. If my friend comes, then we well just do the drive, 20 hours driving plus another 7 hours or so on the ferry :shock:

Top notch outfitters, with excellent guides,cook and camp as well!..I've never met a bunch of people as friendly as these newfys, #1 in my books :grin:
Lou

Well, I booked my flight last night :grin: ...I used up 25,000 Aeroplan miles, and the flight only cost me $160 return with air Canada, also bought some new high density foam for my pelican hard case from the Canadian distributer as well, both rifles are ready for the trip, and so am I :mrgreen:
Now the count down begins :)

Lou

Good to see the planning moving forward with action, Lou. That moose hunting definitely gets into your blood.

I'm waiting to hear about this one and looking forward to it.
I'll be there next year. Until then I will live and learn vicariously.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I must say that our entire group gets more excited each month as our Newfoundland hunt approaches. I've been shooting every week at our 300yd range and feel pretty confident in both of my rifles.
Even the Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 will put every bullet in a group < 3.5" at 300yds. That should be more than adequate considering our outfitter told us that shot opportunities are typically around 200yds. I could probably leave the 338 RUM at home; but I won't! LOL

Back