Barrett Fieldcraft...out of the box.

hodgeman":3exdb19m said:
I got the Barrett bloody last week. We climbed really high to get after some caribou and I made a 339 yard shot. Center punched the caribou with a 143 ELDX through the ribs and it was over.

That light, short rifle was handy in such alpine terrain and it worked perfectly. Believe I'm going to like this one.

That's an excellent report on that rifle and an excellent shot. Congrats buddy.

Can you pass any details about the bullet performance? I know it worked well but I was wondering if you could elaborate at all about it.

nice rifle Hodgeman and definitely a shooter. I have always liked the swede but never ventured to the creedmore, but if I was going to do so, that one pretty much sells itself.

congrats on the caribou

SJB358":20abia88 said:
Can you pass any details about the bullet performance? I know it worked well but I was wondering if you could elaborate at all about it.

Since the bullet could still be sailing over the tundra, I can't say too much about it. The exit wound was roughly dime sized, which would indicate it expanded. Impact speed was in the neighborhood of 2150 fps which is well within the expansion range of the ELDX bullet.

The wound channel was straight through with no yawing off course- which is pretty common with long, heavy bullets- even hitting some rib bones on the way in.

At the mild speeds the 6.5 generates, there was very little bloodshot meat to speak of- something I was a little surprised at since I'm used to seeing at least some (or a lot with my .270).

hodgeman":2sq8yywo said:
SJB358":2sq8yywo said:

Since the bullet could still be sailing over the tundra, I can't say too much about it. The exit wound was roughly dime sized, which would indicate it expanded. Impact speed was in the neighborhood of 2150 fps which is well within the expansion range of the ELDX bullet.

The wound channel was straight through with no yawing off course- which is pretty common with long, heavy bullets- even hitting some rib bones on the way in.

At the mild speeds the 6.5 generates, there was very little bloodshot meat to speak of- something I was a little surprised at since I'm used to seeing at least some (or a lot with my .270).

Thanks for the report. They are a catchy little rifle. It'd be a toss up between it and the Kimber. A light, low recoiling rifle like that would be pretty sweet in the woods.

Back