Barrett Fieldcraft...out of the box.

Those are fascinating rifles. I looked at their website to determine if the mount screws were 8-40 VS the industry standard 6-48. What are they? I'm looking forward to seeing how it groups.

walkinhorseman":mjw1benh said:
Those are fascinating rifles. I looked at their website to determine if the mount screws were 8-40 VS the industry standard 6-48. What are they? I'm looking forward to seeing how it groups.

8-40 for the base screws.

OK, it's a shooter... for sure.

First pic is a 100 yard group with the 129ABLR.The ear plugs are 5/8" long...sub MOA.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,534
The real star of the show was the Hornady 143 ELDX....straight up a 1/2 MOA....1/2" at 100 and 3/4" at 200 yards. Not shabby for a 5.9 pound rifle and scope!

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    862.7 KB · Views: 3,530
  • IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    957.6 KB · Views: 3,530
A little more on the Barrett...

Accuracy was simply phenomenal... the old rules of "light guns give up accuracy" now longer applies. You do have to work very hard to shoot it well, but it shoots like a house on fire when you do.

Best groups were from a clean, cold barrel. Once the barrel heated up, groups sizes grew quickly. That's not unusual in light guns, and not unusual in guns with bedded barrels- the Field craft is full length bedded.

Very happy with how this one shoots.

I also totally get the whole 6.5 thing now...what a charismatic little cartridge that is just easy to shoot.

It's like shooting an over-grown 22-250...I could watch bullet impact at 200 through the scope when prone over a pack. Compared to the hard kicking guns I'm used to...this is like using a scalpel. I could head shoot a ptarmigan at 200 with relative ease.

Man that looks great. I believe a left hand version is supposed to come out next year, I might need to rethink my long range gun buying plan.

hodgeman":x06irkj5 said:
I also totally get the whole 6.5 thing now...what a charismatic little cartridge that is just easy to shoot.

It's like shooting an over-grown 22-250...I could watch bullet impact at 200 through the scope when prone over a pack. Compared to the hard kicking guns I'm used to...this is like using a scalpel. I could head shoot a ptarmigan at 200 with relative ease.

Those of us who have 260's and 6.5x55's can relate to what you are saying, the 6.5 Creedmoor is more of the same. A lot of performance in a easy to shoot platform. It's hard to imagine a better gun especially for caribou and smaller, can take bigger stuff too.

That's awesome stuff Mike. Good looking rifle. I've loved the idea of a Montana in 6.5 CM for awhile!

More Fieldcraft fun...
Took it out for some long range steel with a buddy who has a suppressor and a chronograph.
Factory Hornady 143ELDX clocks 2550 with the 18" barrel.
Spinning on the suppressor instantly improved the feel of the rifle and made shooting it down right smile inducing. Quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection and moderate recoil went to recoiless. You could see bullet impact at all ranges. That just moved up on my list to acquire.

The whole package (even suppressed) weighs mere 7 pounds and isn't any longer than a regular 24" barreled rifle.

The 2.5-8x36 isn't the right tool for busting steel at 560 yards...but once we got it dialed we clanked it regularly.

We also shot a couple of chassis rifles in 6.5 and .300WSM and made 560 and 800 yard hits on 10" gongs reliably.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,469
That looks like a great rig, glad you are liking it. While the current scope you have might not be ideal for long range shooting, I bet it will be more than adequate in the field. Can you get CDS dial for it? That might work once you settle on a load.

BretN":2u11nsyf said:
That looks like a great rig, glad you are liking it. While the current scope you have might not be ideal for long range shooting, I bet it will be more than adequate in the field. Can you get CDS dial for it? That might work once you settle on a load.

I can get a CDS dial... one thing we noticed is that once we dialed the elevation for 560 (like 11MOA!)...when we dialed it back for a 150 yard zero it was 4" low at 150yds using the same numbers on the dial.

Thinking I'll look for something with a MOA type reticle rather than dialing for longer range work. Of course for hunting, I rarely shoot past 300yds so the current scope is more than sufficient for that.

If you want to stick with a Leupold scope, either the LR duplex or the Boone & Crockett reticle might work better for you than the CDS dials. Most can get to 400 or 500 yards pretty consistently with those reticles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an awesome looking rifle. 2550 isn't a slouch out of that shorty either.

Some really good scopes that many are trying to sell mostly because they want the latest and greatest....

The Zeiss HD5 line, the adjustable turret model, like the one I have would suit your rifle well...

I have decided to keep mine, but have seen several of them for sale on forums and on sale from Midway USA and such.

You can get the reticle system or the dial turrets in these scopes... Mine dials accurately and always returns to zero.

A 2-10x32 nightforce nxs would fit handily on that rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the Barrett bloody last week. We climbed really high to get after some caribou and I made a 339 yard shot. Center punched the caribou with a 143 ELDX through the ribs and it was over.

That light, short rifle was handy in such alpine terrain and it worked perfectly. Believe I'm going to like this one.

Back