BEARS

Either Gerry or Gil have experience with bears. Gil has been with me on several occasions when I tagged bears. He presents himself to be "my trusty native guide." Well, he is pretty good at spotting game and getting close to the action. Oh, the stories I could tell on that boy. Gerry has posted some excellent pictures of both grizzlies and blackies from his AO. He has definitely put the stalk on some fine bears.

Europe":2jl0nhdq said:
Redgreen, I have also had a few injuries and surgeries that do not allow me to shot and hunt anymore, so I sympathize with you sir. You certainly had some big boomers at one time. Was the 458 a Lott or Win.? My husband had a Lott and he really liked that caliber. Without a doubt the 45/70 is a good one! I bet you can understand why Cheyenne loves her Win 71, 348 so much. I would think that you would also be able to still hunt with it if you had it.

Dr Mike, Earle, Cheyenne, Guy, Hodgeman, Bear78, Salmonchaser, great stories, thanks for sharing. And thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to the thread

Charles, you are determined to use a 404 Jeff on something lol

Jamila--thank you
It was the Winnie, Europe.It was a dream to shoot. I loved taking that to the range and shooting reduced loads. They were warm, but nowhere near full power. I always carried full power loads and would fire maybe 10 or 15.A few fellows wanted to shoot it, and I would put a full power load in the floor plate and cover it with 2 reduced. The looks on their faces was priceless after shooting the full power one. :twisted:

Sorry that I have been busy of late with archery competitions and work...life gets in the way of 'Nosler Time'!

To answer April's question first...

My preferred rifle for dealing with bears (black or grizzly) is mr BLR in 358 Win.

If I had a 348 or a 45/70, they would be great choices too. I do have a nice '94 in 356 Win that was gifted to me several years ago by the good Dr, and I have to admit that although it has gone afield, it has yet to harvest any animal while in my hands. To be rectified someday soon!

The BLR gets the nod as it is light and fast handling, is scoped with a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 scope in QD rings and can be quickly reloaded with a spare magazine that is always on my belt.

For a bolt action rifle, the nod goes to my custom LH Ruger 77 in 376 Steyr and the 260 gr AB load. It's scope is also a VX-3 1.5-5 in Ruger rings and I have a NECG peep that mounts to Ruger's integral base for back up.

While I am not much of a shotgun guy, I would pack my Benelli M2 semi-auto w/ slugs only. It has a rear peep and front sight, but is also equipped with a Crimson Trace green laser/light combo unit.

The point made above about the light is a great one and can be a great non-lethal deterrent if you do not have to resort to lethal action. The other story makes this point too.

Unlike Cheyenne, in our training for dealing with problem bears here in BC, we are not allowed to mix non-lethal and lethal ammunition in our shotguns at the same time, and we can only use non-lethal ammo if there is a second person with a shotgun loaded with lethal ammo to back us up. The use of non-lethal ammo on a bear can and will often incite an actual charge and attack, and you may not have time for a second or third shot that is lethal ammo?

I have shot numerous black bears over the past 32 years and one grizzly, as well as having backed up Mike on his grizzly and a few black bears. I have also backed up several others over the years on their black bears, and have had to track down and finish a few wounded ones. It is interesting, but the only times that I have used a bolt action to back up a bear hunter, has been with Mike ( a 300 WSM and the 338-06). And the only bear that I have harvested with a bolt action was my grizzly with a 338 Win Mag (at 8 yards). All the rest have been harvested or backed up with lever actions, ranging from a 30-30, to the 375 Win, 356 Win and the 358 Win.

Because carrying a rifle while doing other things like fishing or bowhunting meant putting the rifle down somewhere is a bad habit, I have a back scabbard and an Eberlestock daypack with a scabbard, so that it is always with me. Generally when hiking through the bush or hunting, I prefer to have my rifle in my hands, where it will do the most good when I actually need it.

The story of the old timer and his 30-06 and Corlokts brings home the point; for quick decisive kills, a softer cup and core bullet that mushrooms well and will expend all of its energy in an animal at close range is a very effective tool. And as he demonstrated, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! And beware the man with one gun!

Thank you Gil

Your post (s) are always very informative, thank you

I have looked for the thread reporting on you and your wife's archery competition results and do not see it

please let us know how you did or if you have already done so, please direct me to the thread--thank you

IMG_2161.JPGIMG_2164.JPGIMG_2165.JPG
Young mister Grizz coming in, the initial stand off, the young bear with an orange face, heading back to Katmai national Park.
The guide of course says something clever like "that was entertaining, everybody good."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great photos of the inquisitive young bear. I can bet that the clients were glad to have a knowledgeable guide along.

Nicely done!

o.k. guys we are shoving off again, all those in the colonies, enjoy the 4th of July

thanks to all who contributed to this thread

salmonchaser":13kywp3a said:
Pepper Spray.
I had the "opportunity" to spray a grizzly yesterday. A young bear, probably a three year old, popped out of the alders coming towards us. Did not like me swearing at him. At about 10 yards I lit him up.
One of my clients has photos. She missed catching the actual application but you'll see the before and after effects. I'll attach photos when I'm next in town.
I was prepared to shoot the bear, Guy will likely notice I was no longer indexed on the revolver. He was not charging, simply trying to push us around a little. His behavior was much like a dog, not an alpha, trying to be a big shot when he knows he's not.
In addition to firearms I think bear spray is a must have. Had I not had bear spray I very likely would have killed the bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the photos before I read this post. At first glimpse I thought you had a revolver in the right hand, and a beer in the left... :grin: Typical fisherman!

Then I figured out it was bear spray. Not as fun, but more effective.

Seems like an interesting encounter. I've never sprayed a bear, but I'm glad I've got the stuff. (y)

Guy

Back