Been doing some shooting.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
A mix of different rifles but always include a load I'm working on with the Sauer. It shot Hornady 165's 1/2" on the button with both IMR 4064 & 4350.

Moved onto 150's and the easiest thing at the time was just to load up 3 each of a variety of bullets at a set charge and distance off the lands for each and see what it liked best.

Here's the result of that in order loaded at 52 grains IMR 4064 and just a random set seating depth of .040 off for each bullet.

Hornady's shot just under an inch, Sierra GK's shot right on an inch, Sierra PH's shot 1 1/8" and Speer's shot about 1.5" . Any of them could likely be made way better with changes in seating depth, but went with the Hornady since it started out the best.

Going to .025 off shot in the high 5's, going to 52.5 grains and .020 off shot in the low 6's. 52 grains and .010 off might shoot bug holes, but I don't go closer than .020 for hunting loads so I'm pretty much out of room for improvement. Tested the 52 grains and .025 off load numerous times and it hangs right there.

Since then I've picked up a boatload of the Sierra 150 PH's on a sale so I went to work on getting them shooting better. Every time I was shooting something I'd take 3 loaded up for the Sauer at .010 deeper than the last time. It steadily walked in tighter every time, albeit in small amounts. .050 off shot an inch, .060 off in the 9's, .070 off in the low 7's, then today I had 3 loaded at .080 off and it's down to .575. Gonna try .090 off yet and call it a wrap.

A day last week just for fun I tested a reduced load. IMR 4227 powder at 33 gr's and Hornady 130 SP's shoots very well in my M70. These are Speer 130 HP's so I initially loaded single loads below that coming up through watching speeds and pressure as it's a fast powder with a different bullet. Pretty much behaved right on course with the Hornady's.

I then loaded 3 each at 32, 32.5, and 33 grains at book length of 3.100 same as I did with the Hornady's and my M70. This rifle liked 32 grains and 2500 best instead of 33 grains and 2550 like my M70 did with the Hornady's. I pretty much came up with this load in blind testing before I had access to GRT, but it's been fantastic in both rifles I tested in so far. The Sauer shot this load just under 3/8".

Sauer from today. So far this rifle has been able to shoot well every bullet I've fed it. Performs smooth and flawless from loading the magazine to chambering to ejection. Really can't fault it on anything except the operation of its safety is not my favorite design.

It's always a great thing when a rifle digests whatever you feed it. And it does appear that you've acquired just such a rifle. Congratulations. Any of those loads will work for you, and with very little effort you can produce bragging loads if such appeals to you. However, for most game out to reasonable distances, you're set.

I use 52.5 gr. 4064 to push 150’s out of an 06 and get very similar groups. Had the rifle for close to 50 years and it just keeps on working. I haven’t changed a thing with her in at least 20 years, maybe more. I agree with your assessment, no need for more bench time, get out and shoot.

Jeff looks like you got it pegged. Glad your rifle likes different bullet weights and load combos. Pretty stock also. Dan.

Boy those 2 in and 1 out groups can tear your hair out , looks like you’re rifle like different variety of bullets.

Yep it does it a lot with these 150's but is consistent about it.......like I posted above it walked that 1 out flier with the Sierra's in from 1 1/8" to .575 steadily improving on each .010 seating depth adjustment. I wouldn't bet against it not doing better with this load on a different day when not fighting right to left crosswinds, or maybe it wouldn't do better but would do better with a touch more deeper seating. Or not, don't know until I try it.

The other thing is if you look at the 1 out on all the targets with the 150's from the initial test target with varying bullets to the last posted loads with the Hornady's or these Sierra's, it is 99% of the time the 3rd shot, which would make me think it's a heat issue with either the barrel or the bedding. Yet it didn't display that with 165's and 4064........did it some with 165's and 4350 but ended up shooting the exact same group size regardless. .500.

It is a light rifle........weighs 7 lbs & less than 1 oz scoped up as it sits. Don't know if that plays into it with these 150's or not. 1 thing about it with this Sierra load has shown on different days, different temps, different seating depths, different setup at the bench. From .050 off to .080 off I'd bet $1000 I think that first shot is going to be centerline, inch and quarter high. :D

Jeff looks like you got it pegged. Glad your rifle likes different bullet weights and load combos. Pretty stock also. Dan.

Thanks Dan. In all honesty and reality I wouldn't need better than 1.250" MOA for any rifle I shoot. It's possibly I could shoot farther than 300 yards but not likely with my typical hunting. 1.250 MOA would cover me out to 300 and then some as long as it's consistent about it, but as we all know, it's fun to do better than that in a rifle if you can get it.

Chest shot deer do not care how far the extreme spread is on a group that would hit within it's chest. For some dumb reason it makes me feel better though. :D

Whenever I get a 30-06 again I'll have to try IMR 4064, never would have considered such a fast burning powder. Awesome shooting all around, that IMR 4227 load with 130 gr class bullets would make an excellent youth deer load. Love the Sauer too!

Whenever I get a 30-06 again I'll have to try IMR 4064, never would have considered such a fast burning powder. Awesome shooting all around, that IMR 4227 load with 130 gr class bullets would make an excellent youth deer load. Love the Sauer too!

That 52 grains of IMR 4064 with a 150 is an old standby that works. A new 1 to me was trying it with 165's which it did very well also, at least in this rifle.

The IMR 4227 load I came up with seems like it might be a secret sauce in the 30-06 case with 130's. I thought initially I just got fortunate and hit on something with my M70, but after shooting it in the Sauer I'm thinking it's just 1 of those things that works, and works very well.

Recoil will run around 8 lbs in a standard weight rifle. About like or less than a 243 shooting a 85 gr bullet, but doesn't have the level of boom to go with it and also there is something to be said for recoil velocity, to me it's noticeable less recoil than a 243.

Of course like Hornady has a habit of doing, now that I came up with a load for their 130 SP and jug tested it which it did well with at those velocities going well into the 4th jug, they quit making it. This Speer is an explosive varmint bullet so wont be using it on deer. Will have to try and come up with Nosler 125 BT's or Sierra 125 PH's if I'm going to use this load on deer.

Beautiful rifle.
It is always great to get out and shoot!
Good for you!

Thanks! Last yr I didn't shoot very much, had plenty of supplies but almost felt guilty shooting. This yr I'm not saying I'm shooting at pre-biden levels, but if I have something I need to test or a load I want to work on, I'm shooting. Otherwise I'll die an old man someday with a room full of supplies.

Thanks Dan. In all honesty and reality I wouldn't need better than 1.250" MOA for any rifle I shoot. It's possibly I could shoot farther than 300 yards but not likely with my typical hunting. 1.250 MOA would cover me out to 300 and then some as long as it's consistent about it, but as we all know, it's fun to do better than that in a rifle if you can get it.

Chest shot deer do not care how far the extreme spread is on a group that would hit within it's chest. For some dumb reason it makes me feel better though. :D
Agreed it does make us feel better when we don't second guess our rifle and know if we miss it was the nut behind the bolt. I'd hunt with any of your loads posted. Dan.

Back