Best Calibers For Moose Hunting

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
According to old Jim here whatever Hornady is paying him for is best.

Seriously though what are your choices? Almost anything within reason will work fine. I'll chime in later with what I think.

I'm certain Jimmy got paid for that clip. No other reason why he's holding 2 boxes of Hornady ammunition.

JD338

Does he know the difference between caliber and cartridge? There is no 300 PRC caliber, though there is a 300 PRC cartridge. One may say this makes no difference, but when speaking from a position of authority, precision does make a difference. Yeah, I'm sure Hornady no doubt ensured that Jim was compensated generously, but they are dissing the intelligence of those who see the ad by perpetuating confusion.

Does he know the difference between caliber and cartridge? There is no 300 PRC caliber, though there is a 300 PRC cartridge. One may say this makes no difference, but when speaking from a position of authority, precision does make a difference. Yeah, I'm sure Hornady no doubt ensured that Jim was compensated generously, but they are dissing the intelligence of those who see the ad by perpetuating confusion.
You had better be careful DrMike the next time you open your freezer. You don't want those moose to jump out since you didn't use the "300 PRC caliber" ;) All the other rounds that we have used in the past are now obsolete. Better let @Blkram know too so they don't jump out of his freezer either.

My goodness, how many times have I witnessed that. I take a shot at a moose, and the critter just saunters away. All I can do is mutter, "And there goes another dead moose walking away!" So often I've seen black bears and even grizzlies shot with my 270 WSM, or my 30-06, or my .356 Win, drop dead and after skinning them witness them stand up, grab their pelt, glare at me while replacing their hide and storming away. Yup, gotta' buy a new "caliber." I'll get hold of Gil and explain that that 6.5 Creedmoor didn't kill his moose last year! That was all a figment of his imagination, or an event that took place in an alternate dimension of time. Wow! It's all too much for this old head to take in.:unsure:

Does he know the difference between caliber and cartridge? There is no 300 PRC caliber, though there is a 300 PRC cartridge.
Well DrMike if I had an 300 PRC round laying around I could mock up a 300 PRC caliber wildcat based off the 460 Wby case. Just need to blow the neck out to .530”. Finding a .532” barrel blank might be an issue😁

Jim is getting slaughtered in the comments. Usually there are quite a few positive comments on a YouTube video but not this one.....

I don't mean to rag on Jim Shockey. He is certainly well-qualified to speak about hunting. I have admired his hunts for black bears on Vancouver Island and his deer hunts in Saskatchewan. I understand that he is likely promoting a cartridge that Hornady would love to see grow in popularity. He could have easily been speaking of a 30 Nosler or even a 33 Nosler, and perhaps he would have spoken of these cartridges had Nosler paid him. However, it does not excuse the imprecision reflected in presenting a cartridge as though it was a caliber. A pet peeve, I know; and one I'm normally willing to overlook. However, when presenting oneself as expert, precision in language should be maintained.

These types of “commercials” intrigue me.
How they tend to make you believe you need “more” than what has been used for decades.
Especially, when you consider that hunters are taking moose with a traditional longbow most every year….

I'll have to agree with Jim when he said, "there is no such thing as overkill". I shot most of my bulls with a 338RUM. It seemed to be a perfect fit to me, but it is a big step up in HP from the 300PRC.

Im a big fan of displacement, to borrow a phrase from Fotis. Built my 338 Jarrett several years before the Rums came on the market. With elk there was a difference. As youngster I was taught to shoot them till they are down with an 06. A couple of 300wm seemed a little better but I wanted more. The country I hunted, still hunt, goes straight down for a mile in places, I don’t want elk taking one more step. I think I may have shot one out of the twenty or so I’ve killed with the Jarrett twice. Comparing the AccuBond to the Partition, there is a difference with my limited data set. AccuBond just flat hammers elk.
My conundrum this year is I really wanted to hunt this moose with the 300 HH and a Partition. Nostalgia. The AccuBond and the Partition are both sub moa in the #1. But the AccuBond in bigger critters is, in my opinion, a better bullet.
The best part of the whole discussion is living at a time and place in history that allows me to worry about such things.
One of these days I’m going to get my neighbor to let me hunt his alfalfa field.

Attachments

• IMG_9122.jpeg
    IMG_9122.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 13
I'll have to agree with Jim when he said, "there is no such thing as overkill". I shot most of my bulls with a 338RUM. It seemed to be a perfect fit to me, but it is a big step up in HP from the 300PRC.
I'm with you Charlie. Although I've only shot 1 moose (and 1 elk) with my 338 RUM, it knocked both of them off their feet. There's no replacement for displacement!

JD338

You had better be careful DrMike the next time you open your freezer. You don't want those moose to jump out since you didn't use the "300 PRC caliber" ;) All the other rounds that we have used in the past are now obsolete. Better let @Blkram know too so they don't jump out of his freezer either.
Luckily, to date, regardless of "caliber" or "cartridge", or bullet used to take the game, the only jumping out of the freezer has been into the frying pan! ;) (You can substitute roasting pan or stew pot here as befits the meal or cut of meat!:LOL:)
I will admit that there has been the odd animal that has dropped at the shot, and then got up and ran off to parts unknown...but that has been attributed to the hunter (read me) not placing the bullet accurately for a quick, clean kill, and cannot be blamed on the failure of the bullet to perform, or the lack of energy due to a less than adequate cartridge, regardless of caliber. And using the 300 PRC would have made no difference in any of those circumstances...:rolleyes:
I'm just glad for those animals that they didn't have to dress themselves in order to depart!

In my experience with Moose over the last 50 years in both Alaska and Maine, it would involve HUNDRED'S of bulls. I used a .338 for years to back up hunters; it works perfect for one's running off after the client made a lousy shot. I finally came to the conclusion that the .338WM (Winchester model 70 Supergrade) was basically with Walmart ammo; launching 250gr bullets around 2700fps. My 35 Whelen shoots 250gr bullets at 2600fps. The 338 weighed almost 9.5lbs and kicked like a donkey!
The 35 Whelan weighes 7.5lbs and recoil is much easier to handle. I sold the 338 about 15 years ago as had no more use for it. I used to use 250gr Partition bullets; but found that Speers 250gr bullets work perfectly on 8/900 lb, bull moose. If there is a better all around Moose outfit; I have not seen it yet...... here is a 62" from Thursday evening. Bring him out in a Gruman Sport boat. One should be cautious listen to folks favorite caliber, for Moose when their total experience is one or two Moose; a porkiepine; and an Armadillo
Imho
E

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 18