Best Calibers For Moose Hunting

It's pretty rare to just knock one down with a single shot no matter what you use. I would like anything from a 270 or 7mm-08 on up personally but the smaller 6.5's will be fine too. 7mm RM and 30-06 are perfect in my mind.

It's pretty rare to just knock one down with a single shot no matter what you use. I would like anything from a 270 or 7mm-08 on up personally but the smaller 6.5's will be fine too. 7mm RM and 30-06 are perfect in my mind.

The first bull moose that I took was spotted on the opposite mountain top at just over 1,000yds. My guide said "sit tight, we're going to call him in." I thought that was a joke but as soon as he started calling, I could see the bull staring in our direction. The moose started to descend from the peak and disappeared into the trees. Maybe an hour or so later, the bull pops out of the woods on a transmission line cut over. He was 54 yds in front of me and heading behind a knoll. I grabbed the 338, which was resting on a bipod, and swung around to make a last second shot before he disappeared. The 250gr AccuBond had a muzzle velocity of 3,000fps and caught him on the shoulder. That moose literally flipped over backwards, and I watched as the palms of his rack got buried into the spongy turf. The bull never even twitched after that.

But it often works the other way too - I shot a heavy Maine bull that the DNR estimated to have a live weight of 1,050lbs. I hit him broadside with a 402gr copper expanding Hammer bullet. The bullet hit him mid lung but it sure looked like I missed because the bull just took a couple of steps and stood there as I readied for another quick shot. As fast as possible, I fired a second and third shot just before he collapsed. A moose can absorb an enormous amount of energy without showing much, if any, reaction.

If you haven't tried moose hunting, you need to put it on the "bucket list" and get it done. Bringing a rifle with a little extra HP never hurts.

I shot my bull at 70 yards with my 338 RUM and a 250 gr PT. After a short standoff, he turned to go away which offer me the shot . I put the bullet behind his right shoulder and hit the off side shoulder. He fell like a big oak tree.
The bullet was recovered under the hide after smashing through the off side shoulder blade.
Here's the off side shoulder blade and the hole from the 250 gr PT. I'm sure a 270 Winchester or the mighty 300 PRC would have similar results.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_110308957_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181011_110308957_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
I've never had the opportunity to hunt for moose DAMMIT! But. if I did I believe I would run with my .35 Whelen and the 225 gr. TSX as first choice. Probably use either my 30-06 or .300 Win. Mag as back up rifles, probably with the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core which worked extremely well on an elk from the .300. I figure I'd just have to get a tad closer to use the 30-06. But between old age an a bad car wreck that just ain't happening.
Paul B.

Well, you would be making a good choice with any of those cartridges, Paul. So sorry you don't have opportunity for a moose hunt. The AO for such hunts is part of the joy.

Took my Moose at exactly 150 yards with my Browning A-Bolt in 30.06 with 180 grain Partition. 1st shot behind the shoulder he looked at me for a minute and then started walking around circles. 2nd shot same spot he stopped and then fell over. He was finished when I walked up to him. Lucky for me he was standing in the middle of a logging road.

In my experience with Moose over the last 50 years in both Alaska and Maine, it would involve HUNDRED'S of bulls. I used a .338 for years to back up hunters; it works perfect for one's running off after the client made a lousy shot. I finally came to the conclusion that the .338WM (Winchester model 70 Supergrade) was basically with Walmart ammo; launching 250gr bullets around 2700fps. My 35 Whelen shoots 250gr bullets at 2600fps. The 338 weighed almost 9.5lbs and kicked like a donkey!
The 35 Whelan weighes 7.5lbs and recoil is much easier to handle. I sold the 338 about 15 years ago as had no more use for it. I used to use 250gr Partition bullets; but found that Speers 250gr bullets work perfectly on 8/900 lb, bull moose. If there is a better all around Moose outfit; I have not seen it yet...... here is a 62" from Thursday evening. Bring him out in a Gruman Sport boat. One should be cautious listen to folks favorite caliber, for Moose when their total experience is one or two Moose; a porkiepine; and an Armadillo
Imho
E
I used a .338 on my one and only Moose 20 some years ago. I packed that rifle elk hunting but like you I felt it was heavier than I needed to carry so down the road it went. I’d like to think the .35 Whelen is about as good as it gets for packing a punch and not being too heavy to carry all day long.

Not much I can add to the experience here. I’ve used several different cartridges to kill moose. Only a few of those times the moose was knocked off his feet. All three times it was a high shoulder/lung shot that took them off thier feet. Usually they take a shot to the vitals and locked up and toppled shortly after.

Cartridges I’ve killed moose with, largest to smallest.

270 win 130gr TTSX
308 win 165 Partition
300 win. 180 Partition, 200gr ELDX
300 rum 168 ttsx
338 rum 225 AccuBond
9.3x62 286gr Partition
35 whelen 250 Speer hot core
375 h&h 260 AccuBond
50 cal muzzle loader 250gr Barnes Mx expander

Quickest kill was with 270 win!!

Between my father and I we have killed many animals here in Alaska from Blacktail deer to the largest of bears with a 35 Whelen. Always used a 250 grain Hornaday spire point. Never had a problem so no matter how many other guns I have I have a problem using any thing else. I know there are lots of "better" bullets and cartridges but what works just works for me.

I always thought that the 338RUM was perfect moose medicine, especially when you see moose across vast stretches of bog. My longest shot was actually 315yds and the 250 AccuBond wizzed right through the bull broadside.

However, I really enjoy my Marlin 1895SBL (45-70) and always wanted to take a moose with the gun. After 20 years of applying for a Maine non-res tag, I hit. My outfitter told me that we would be hunting in heavy timber and that shots should be inside of 100yds. PERFECT! I worked up a load with that 402gr Hammer bullet and went hunting. Ultimately, I shot the bull at 125yds in an open clear cut. The only thing in the timber was me and the guide. LOL

I have taken moose with:
6.8 Western 170 gr Ballistic Tip

30-06 180 gr G.S(X2), 180 GR Fail Safe, 220 gr Silvertip

308 Norma Mag 180 gr Mag Tip (X2)

35 Whelen 225 gr AccuBond (X2), 225 gr Ballistic Tip, 225 gr TSX

Might be missing some. Tried other bullets too in the above cartridges but never fired a shot.

Have also carried 270 Win, 300 WSM, 358 Norma but never shot anything with them. Might have carried the 375 Ruger too.

I think he is riding the wave created by shooting a grizzly with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Even in the video I think he admits that it’s too light for a dedicated moose rig.

I know people when I grew up that were true subsistence hunters. Middle of the winter and they needed meat they would shoot moose in the ribs with a .22. They would then just wait and see what happened. If the bullet made it into the lungs the moose would fall over dead after a while. If the bullet was stopped short they would try again. You can kill huge animals with 22 calibers but doing so goes against all ethical hunting standards to me. A clean and quick kill is my goal. For that reason I feel a hunter should use a gun they can shoot well and it be able to kill quickly with a less than perfect shot. I know folks who can hit the target easy at 500 and some of them at even 1000 yards. I question their ability to make follow up hits at long range on a moving target if needed. A wounded animal that runs away or takes along time to die would be a failure for me. Others might feel different and that is their right.

Back