best long range elk bullet 30 cal 200gr accubond?

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
I am looking at building another rifle next year for hunting elk in the mountains. When I start building a rifle I always decide what bullet I want to use and then build backwards, and right now my thinking is that I want to use the 200gr AccuBond in a 300WSM or 300 Win mag. I like the high BC of .588 because in the area I hunt shots of 300-500yds are common, my last bull came at 478. The good thing is that I usually have plenty of time to range the target and set up with my pack and a rear bag for a steady shot, plus there is usually little to no wind. I plan to build a rifle that tops out under 8lbs ready to hunt with a limbsaver pad and Vias brake. I would just buy a Tikka, but I want a 3 position or tang safety because the Remington and Tikka style side safety will sometimes rub into the fire position on my daypack when I carry them on my left shoulder. Anyway.....

What do you all think of my bullet and caliber choice?
What kind of velocity can I expect from each case with stout loads and a 24" barrel?
What twist do you recommend for the 200gr bullets?

Thanks!

The 308 cal 200 gr AB is an awesome bullet for elk. Push it to 2900 fps+ and you will have a true long range hammer for anything that walks.

JD338

I have worked up several loads in my 300 WSM with 200 grain Sierra BT and 200 grain AB. They shoot very accurately in my 1:10 twist Winchester. Velocities run around 2850 fps, which would give a smart slap to anything that stepped into the path of either of those bullets. I wouldn't hesitate to use such a load for elk, moose, black bear and even for mountain grizzly.

Since you are building this gun, why not step on up to 300RUM? with my chroney I am measuring 3200 fps with 200 grain AB. With the break and the the limb saver, recoil is no problem. accuracy is great as well.

JDMAG":15tzxbbd said:
Since you are building this gun, why not step on up to 300RUM? with my chroney I am measuring 3200 fps with 200 grain AB. With the break and the the limb saver, recoil is no problem. accuracy is great as well.

Primarily because I don't want to increase the barrel length to 26" and I didn't think I'd get much extra speed from the RUM without more barrel length. I want a rifle short and handy enough to manuever through burns as well as to reach out to long range. While hunting muleys this year I had a 6x7 bull at 50yds in a burn and no elk tag, didn't draw this time. We cover lots of miles in the mountains and I want a lightweight rifle also. The guy I hunt elk with can outwalk most anything with 2 legs, and I live at 1200ft above sea level so I will take all the advantages I can get up there.

I'm thinking of finding a Browning A-bolt in a 300WSM if I think I can get enough speed from the WSM. If it doesn't shoot well enough for me I will re-barrel it with a 24 or 25" #3 fluted stainless barrel and either way I'll add the brake. I may even go with the A-bolt mountain TI,it already comes with the stock I want. For what they cost though, I think I'd rather buy a stainless stalker and re-barrel if necessary. I'm still debating on that part and watching for actions. I also like the older tang safety Rugers to build on. It's not most peoples first choice but they are tough, lighter than a winchester, and have an adjustable trigger and tang safety.

I think that the 200 gr AB out of a 300 WSM or WM would be a great round for the ranges you are talking about shooting. If you are talking out to 1K I would think stepping up to the RUM would be a better choice.

That sounds like a really efffective package. I love my 280 AI that I just built. It tips the scale at just over 8 pounds ready to hunt.

I think any of the cartridges mentioned would be fine. I am not a RUM fan seems like an awful lot of powder, recoil etc for the gain. Hodgons reloading manual show a 50 fps gain over the Bee at the expense of 20 grains more powder. My humble opinion is that the best elk/rifle/caliber would be a stainless, rifle with a synthetic stock with a 22 or 24 inch barrel. After 50 years of hunting the little beastie (elk) I believe that the .300 Bee is probably the best cartridge. It will launch a 200 gr. "Nosler Partition" at 3000 fps which really will do the job well past 400 yards. My most recent elk kill was at 438 with a 300 Win mag and a 2.5 X 8 Leupold scope. Just held a little high. I was using 180 Partitions at a little over 3000.

I do not have a 300 WSM myself but load for a buddy's rifle so I end up shooting and testing it a lot on load work. It sure is a great shooting rifle and I think the 300 WSM is just a well balanced cartridge with plenty of pop for what you are asking of it. You might consider the 180 gr. AccuBond. Just a bit higher velocity, little flatter shooting, and should wack them plenty hard. Good luck on your choice.

The best group I ever got was

.675" at 300 yards.

Sako 75 300 rum
92 gr RL 25
3147 fps
200 AccuBond.

Excellent long range performance.

I load the 200 grain AccuBond in my 06 for elk and it is good to 600 yards at my hunting altitude of 9500 feet. From a 300 WM or WSM 2850FPS should be very doable, which makes your effective range longer than most of us have any business shooting at game from.

If your rifle will not shoot the 200 grain AccuBond you may want to try the 168 etip. They have a .503 BC and with muzzle velocities at around 3150 fps it would shoot like a lazer.

My personal advice is go with the 200 grain Partition, you will get better penatration. Shot a few elk and just as likely to have a shot at point blank as way out yonder. If the elk are way out there you have time to put an AB on top.

mcseal2,

I have a 300RUM and love the thing. Considering all you are asking for in this rifle, my vote would be the 300 Win Mag. I would consider the 180 AccuBond, Partition and or the E-Tip. It's a good efficient round with reasonable priced components when considering the cost of Brass, easy to reload. You need to compare the velocity and energy of the 180 vs. the 200 grain bullets at what ever velocity you could achieve and take in consideration the distance you are shooting.Depending on the velocity achieved with the 180, it could be better than the 200 in some given situations. But I will add the 200 does have a higher BC number. Take a good look at the two and compare them at 400 and 500 yards. I hunt with my good friend in Colorado and he has had a 300 Win Mag for many years until recently and has shot more Elk than I could write about, all with the 180 Partition and yes Large Bulls at 300-500 yards with one shot. The 300 Win Mag is a real and proven performer. Also, you may find your new rifle is more accurate with one vs. the other. My Ultra is very accurate with 180's or the 200's.
Just the 180 for me, at the velocity I get out performs the 200 bullet.

Don

I know that the 180 Accubonds form a 300 Winnie have taken cow elk at 912 yards. So no problem.

PS shooter was not me guys. :wink:

I think the debate between 180's and 200's would best be solved by what shoots the best in your gun and what recoil level you are comfortable with. The last 4 elk that I have shot were with 180 AB's at 3250 fps. I recovered all bullets and they did a good job, but I think a 200 AB at 3000 might poke a hole clear through for just a little more insurance on the really big ones. That being said, my nephew uses the 300 Ultra with the 200 at 3200, he has great results at long range!

IMG_3361.jpg

Carried this Model 70 in .300 WSM this year. Loaded up with 200 gr Accubonds at a bit over 2800 fps. Sadly, didn't get a chance to send one downrange at a mule deer. Perhaps next year!

Initially I looked at the .300 WSM with pretty much a "who needs that?" attitude. Then I sort of fell into a great deal on this rifle and have learned that the WSM is easy to load, and has terrific accuracy potential.

I've had the .300 Win mag and the .300 Rem Ultra Mag, and wouldn't take away anything from either of those cartridges. They're great. The idea of an accurate .30 cal magnum for long range goes way back to the 1930's or earlier. It's still a good idea. Choose your poison, I've made my choice.

Regards, Guy

I am thinking that a 300 WSM may not quite get you to where you want to be although it would most likely be close and those "shorts" sure do make for a nice "HUNTING" rifle - I see the RUM as pretty overbore (I know, I know ... I'm gonna get chewed on that one) but a 300 Win Mag will sure enough get you there - A Kimber Montana in 300 Win Mag would be one of my first picks, or a Model 70 with some lightening would do well, A Bolts work well for these types of ideas but be cautious about freeze ups in cold weather, I think it is from the safety wire being in a trapped groove that gets that first drip or two from a cold nose every time - 300 Win Mag has enough capacity and you have plenty of brass options to find a good solid load, should be able to "easily" get to 3000+ with a 200 AB - I use TETRA OIL to treat my barrels, gives me an added 150 fps universally in anything I have worked with - RL-19 & IMR 4350 are tough to beat

My choice would be the .300 Win. mag. I haven't tried 200 gr. Accubonds yet but the 200 gr. Sper Hot Core or 200 gr. Nosler Partiton are dead nuts accurate to 500 yards from my rifle. it's a Winhester M70 puish feed that came from Walmart for $350. I'm thiking they might have been a special order gun made for Wallyworld. It had what looks like a McMillan stock and came with a really cheapie Simmons scope. That was replaced by a Leupold BTW. Barrel is 26" long and so far, I've not found it to be all that much of a handicap in the thick stuff. But then, many years ago I learned to shoot in the very thick stuff found in the Northwest corner of California's rain forest where a 25 yard shot was long range.
Rifle weighs maybe 7.5 pounds and has a Pachmeyr Decelerator pad. No muzzle brales for me. I have lost way too much of my hearing already from loud noise. Back when I started shooting, (1954) hreaing ptotection was a couple of cotton balls stuffed in your ears. Muffles the noise but didn't help save the ears.
The only other thing I'll say is when I shot a cow elk at 530 yards, laser measured, The shot sounded like a "poof" and I never felt the kick. When at the range from the bench with that gun, I use a Past recoil pad that goes on like a shoulder holster. I use the magnum size nd it works quite well.
Paul B.

It is hard to beat the 300WM with 200gr bullets. I have ran the Sierra GK's for awhile now, and they have done fine. I have recently switched up to 200gr PT's and still working loads.

BCH, what is Tetra Oil? Never heard of it. Scotty

All the bullets mentioned will work fine out of the WM or the WSM. I want to know where you elk hunt with 300-500yd shots with little or no wind!

Back