Black Bear and a .25 cal rifle???

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Seems to me that at least one or two hunters here have done it. Thoughts and recommendations?

My 19 year old son wants to use his "new" 63 year old Mauser/.257 Weatherby on black bear this fall. Anticipated ranges about 150 - 350 yards.

Is the quarter bore up to the job if he is? Which bullet?

Thanks, Guy

Guy, your son put a Nosler AccuBond or Partition (120gr Partition is the best) in a black bear making a double lung shot and the bear will go down. More than likely on the spot. The 257 Roy is more than enough for a black bear. I even have a friend that lived in Alaska for a while shot a big black bear with a double lung shot with Nosler AccuBond from his 257Wby and the bear went no where.

I've killed 3 average blackies with a 25-06, and the closest was 375 yards, with the furthest being right at 600, and the other at 450. Shot 1 with 117g Gamekings (375), and 2 with 115g NBT's (450-600). 2 of the bears took 2 shots, but were more then likely dead after the 1st, just didn't want them running into the brush, other bear took 1 shot. I aimed for the shoulders on all the bears. Put the bullet where it needs to go and theres no doubt a 257 WM will put black bears down, they are not that hard to kill, unless you run into a record bear, then you'll be wishing you had a little more gun.

Id use a 110g AB or a 115-120g Partition for insurance incase you run into a bigger bear, the extra penetration wont hurt and since the shots aren't going to be real long, and the extra 250fps MV, you'll want a little tougher bullet then what I was using with the NBT's or Gamekings.

With the kind of speed this cartridge can dish-out, I'll use the 115 grain Barnes for good measure. I found a super accurate load for a friend 257 Roy using Reloader 25.

Here's an 8 shot group @ 110 yards

Franksrifle002.jpg

Desert Fox":1su2ruou said:
With the kind of speed this cartridge can dish-out, I'll use the 115 grain Barnes for good measure. I found a super accurate load for a friend 257 Roy using Reloader 25.

Here's an 8 shot group @ 110 yards

Franksrifle002.jpg

Big mistake, the barns in your 25 Roy will not be a quick killer, you will find real inconsistency with terminal results. I have done it, use it and you will need to get ready to track some of the game you shoot with it and if they get in real thick stuff you might not find them do to lack of blood trail. Just remember I told you so, I will not use a barnes bullet again in a small caliber cartridge again for hunting. By the way, I did place my shots well. Just a warning. Are they accurate yes, do they produce consistent terminal results, NO!

I wouldn't really see much difference between the 120gr PT .257 or the 130gr PT .277. Seems like the 130gr 270 is a pretty reliable bear killer, your faster stepping gives up a little in frontal area, but more makes up for it in speed. I wouldn't sweat using a 25-06 or 257 Wby on black bear if that is what I had. Scotty

I am with the others however I would be leaning toward the closer shot if possible. A premimum bullet is a must, one that will hold together on the way through. Last but not least I wouldn't worry much about the speed the Weatherby even coasting is plenty fast enough!!!!!

Elkman":24y28gk5 said:
I am with the others however I would be leaning toward the closer shot if possible. A premimum bullet is a must, one that will hold together on the way through. Last but not least I wouldn't worry much about the speed the Weatherby even coasting is plenty fast enough!!!!!

1+ Closer shot

At least for the inexperienced.

For example, Alaska bear requirements, including black bear, are for shots inside 100 yards.

yup, after taking 10 or 11 I can't remember and seeing dozens taken, I concur, they can't take a bullet in the right place as well as a whitetail.
The 257 BEE is plenty, as is any 25 cal from the 250 savage on up.
RR

The 257 Wby has 2900 FPE in it's factory load. That's the same as a 30-06 so a good bullet (I LIKE ACCUBONDS) will do the job just fine. Even Roy used his 257 on big game like elk.
Post pictures of the bear and the smile :grin:

Like has been said one of the partitions or the Speer 120 Grand Slam. I have used this bullet on some deer and it will shoot through the shoulders broad side every time. I recovered one bullet from a big buck I shot at about 50 yards in the chest facing me from my 25-06 at 3000 fps MV. I found the bullet just under the hide after it smashed the ball socket of the right ham into pieces. It was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. Put one of these bullets in the lungs and a Black Bear is done for.

Nolser 110 AccuBond is a great bullet and will shoot very well and perform well. I would use IMR 4350 very accurate and hit that bear in the boiler and it will go down quickly.

I've read the same thing that "bullet" reports about the Barnes TSX
bullets......that it takes such a shot as through at least the scapula (deer)
to get it to open up.

However, the same guy said (on another forum) that due to a much
larger hollow cavity under the tip of the TTSX bullets, that they do
open up consistently.

Anyone know this to be a true observation? Even at that, it would limit
a person to a 100gr bullet in .257.

Guy -

I'd say within those ranges your Son is more than capable along with the gun.
My memory is horrible, but isn't there something about the older .257's and not being able to use the heavier 120gr Bullets ??

My .257 really like the 110gr A-bond over IMR-7828

Guy -

My memory is horrible, but isn't there something about the older .257's and not being able to use the heavier 120gr Bullets ??

Guy -

DannoBoone - I used the little 100 gr TSX launched at 3340 fps to take two mule deer with my .25-06, one was a head-shot at about 125 yards, so no true test of the bullet, but it didn't seem to expand at all... In and out leaving a very dead mule deer behind...

The other was a downward shot through the chest/shoulder of a buck at a silly 30 yards or so - the bullet was still screaming! It went right through him, but obviously opened up well. Destroyed the heart and dropped him like a hot rock. Again, complete penetration.

Don't anticipate a penetration problem with the TSX, not even the 100 gr version, but am a little concerned about expansion, or lack of...

I need to check the twist on the .257 Wby rifle to see if it's fast enough to stabilize a 115 - 120 gr bullet... Good idea, hadn't thought of that! Am thinking I'd be very comfortable with him using a 115 - 120 gr Nosler Partition if the rifle will shoot them...

Back