Brand New Here

D21ALASKA

Handloader
Oct 29, 2013
Hey Guys,
I'm brand new to the reloading field and am looking for a bit of real world advice on some loads for the 90 gr. Accubonds in my .243 Win. I'm hoping it will shoot well out of my rifle and be a good all around projectile for me. I've got both Nosler and Remington brass and some H4350 powder at the moment. I'm on the lookout for some RL-19 and 22 but haven't been able to locate any yet. I've also got the Speer and Nosler reload manuals and will be studying them fastidiously, but like I said I'm brand new and like advice from actual people. Any help or suggestions on any facet is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for good reloading advice. I don't have a 243 but there are guys that have had excellent results with H 4350 in the round so you may end up with a good load right away, the 90 gr AB does seem to be a great all around bullet judging from the field reports posted here.

Welcome aboard. I'm confident that you'll receive some sound advice for that load from people loading for it. It is not a cartridge that I load, so I can't speak to that particular cartridge. However, the boys and girls that do load for the .243 will undoubtedly give you the straight skinny. Again, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here!

IMR 4350 was always my go to powder in the 245 Win for 90-100 gr bullets/ H4350 and RL 22 should also get you where you want to be.

JD338

Welcome D, I am sure that you will enjoy the people on this forum it is the best on the web.
The knowledge here is the very best that I have ever seen. People here are like family :mrgreen:.
You wouldn't happen to be a lefty would you 8).
Blessings,
Dan

D21ALASKA":10j6cbd8 said:
Sask,
No I'm not a southpaw. Out of curiosity why do you ask?

Hope springs eternal in the heart of lefties.

Oh ok, I can understand that. My girlfriend is a lefty and it's been hell trying to find her a decent .270 anywhere local. The search continues on my end as well so it looks as if I'll have a bit of competition if one pops up here for sale.

D21ALASKA,
Welcome aboard. There is a plethora of knowledge within this site and others. Be patient and eventually you'll get loads that accommodate your bullet and powder combination. I enjoy hand loading for the .243 with its versatility here in Pa, unfortunately I use Varget behind 95 gr. Nosler Partitions for Whitetail and for my varmint and predator loads that range from 55 gr. to 70 gr. with either Hornady V-Max, Nosler Varmageddons, or Sierra Varminter I use IMR 8208 XBR.

But maybe this link will help you establish your own baseline data. I have honed every rifle I own using this technique. Be sure to read what the author explains thoroughly and study the concept. Also, be sure to utilize the menu button in the upper right to navigate the all that encompasses the authors intent.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace. ... 4529824091

Hope this help to get you heading in the right direction.

Good luck,
Mike

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard.

I was lucky enough to take the first animal to my knowledge with a 243 loaded with the 90 gr AB.

Load was for the 243 WIN 90 AB bullet 44.5 gr /H4350 was the load 3250---fps velocity and yielded accuracy at 100 yds was .45"

BTW my friend Christine took this antelope with my 6mm-284 at 3650 fps and the 90 AB did just as good!

D, I actually have a 270win in a left handed CDL. I would love to pick up left handed rifles out of the US but the 49th really gives us Canucks grief :mrgreen:.

As you can see being a lefty is tough on this forum :wink: my self & a few others see a bit of jealousy creep into a few posts 8).
All kidding aside we have a good group. I C that Fotis has listed a load for the 243 his stuff is as good as you can get:)!!

Blessings,
Dan

42-43 grs of H380 gets the job done in the 243 Win and a 90 gr Nosler in my rifles ! :grin: RJ

Accur8,
Thanks for that link. Very good reading and something that I'm looking forward to trying out. It sounds like a great way to get where you want to be fairly quickly.

FOTIS,
Nice job on the goats. I'm hoping to get my load dialed here in the next couple months and start putting it through it's paces on some game myself sooner than later. I'm thinking that it should be a great round for everything up to and including caribou up here.

Thanks everyone for the advice and I'll keep posting with the load progress once I get underway.

D,
No problem. Hope all works out to your favor. I did shoot a Caribou in Alaska with the 95 gr Partition out of my .243. I lived in Fairbanks when I was stationed there. Hunted the White Mountains a good bit, did most of my Salmon fishing in Russian River, and down in Valdez. Beautiful country up there. The year I left, I think it was December '09, me and hunting planned and paid for a hunt on Kodiak Island the following year, but as luck would have it neither one of us made it to the date cause or military orders. We got I believe just about of the cash we put down, but I was so looking forward to that hunt

Accur8,
Yes it is beautiful up here. I came up in '01 for the summer and never left. I moose hunt up off the Elliot just North of Fairbanks. Great area to hunt up there and I'd move there if it didn't get so damn cold. -40 for weeks at a time is just too much. I live down on the Kenai, lucked out and found a rental place cheap right on the river so I can fish for salmon in my pajamas. It is definitely not overrated. Planning a couple predator hunts for this winter up in the Fairbanks area though. Hope to take the new snowmachine up and at least knock down a couple coyotes and maybe luck out and get a wolf.

Wow, salmon fishing in PJs. I remember having a few dreams about wonderful it would be to step off the back porch just out of bed and hookin' into a nice Coho or giant king. You are living the dream my friend!

Not braggin but it is a nice view out the kitchen window

And a nice days catch off the jetty

Wish I could afford to buy the place so we could stay forever but I just count my lucky stars for the time being and hope it lasts.

Back