Brass Prep Machine

tim629

Handloader
Apr 15, 2013
going to start loading up some .223 for my sister and have decided brass prep using the rcbs tool that comes in the rock chuckar kit isn't worth it for doing a lot of brass.

so what are you guys using, how many cases/hour, how many cases/year do you probably do, would you buy the one you have again or would you buy a different one?

thanks

I have used an RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center for many years. It is an excellent piece of kit for the hand loader. I probably loaded over 5,000 cases per year for many years, though I've cut back on volume in the past couple of years. I wouldn't want to be without this, or an equivalent system if I was setting up today.

If I was purchasing today, I might spring for the extra dollars and pick up a Hornady Lock-N-Load Case Prep Centre. My primary hesitation are the numerous negative reviews. Alternatively, I'm impressed by what I see of the Frankfort Arsenal Platinum Series Case Prep and Trim Center. I would surely be intrigued to check this out.

I use the RCBS case prep center for brushing the necks , brushing the primer pockets , chamfering the necks , deburing the primer flash hole . I also have the cutter for trueing the primer pockets . I like it . I think it works well and saves time . I would buy it again . I have no idea how many per hour I could do , I guess that depends on how much needs done to the brass . I lost track of my shooting this past summer . the summer of 2015 I put 700 rounds through just one of my rifles .

I have the RCBS trim station sitting right next to an RCBS Electric lathe. I use the 5 station trim Station quite a bit but more so in conjunction with a lee hand held trimmer and universal drill chuck...it's fast, cheap, and no settup.
On the other hand I think this machine is supposed to trim and chamfer all in one shot and it seems to have good reviews has anybody got one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628405 ... rim-center

I have a Lyman machine. It does a great job on primer pockets, both trueing and cleaning, reaming out crimped primer pockets and inside chamfering. I am not quite as happy with the outside neck deburring after trimming, but I have found one technique to make it work acceptably. I would not be without some form of case prep center as it saves too much time and effort.

I have a Lyman. I spent 20+ years using the RCBS hand deburring tool. Don't know what I was thinking. Yes I like the Lyman and am satisfied with how it performs. I don't use it much if at all for reaming out primer crimps but for chamfering and cleaning primer residue it is fine. I have an old hand-cranked Lyman trimmer. About the time I got the Lyman case prep machine I bought a power spindle for the trimmer. Clamp on a hand drill and it works great. Another "Duh why did I wait this long" moment. :D

I have gotten in the habit of chucking the sized brass in a drill to remove the lube with a shop towel and brass polish. A few quick blips after the lube has been removed gets me a trim length with a Lee trimmer, a chamfer and a debur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought and use the RCBS unit. I considered the new Hornady unit, but it has had some issues.

I have not considered pieces per hour, but do like how it saves on time and wear and tear on the hands. Getting back into loading more than I have for a few years and have lots of brass to prep, so am thankful for it.

I use the Dillon Super Swager for primer pocket crimps. Super fast and easy.
I use the Lyman Case Prep Center for chamfering and primer pocket uniforming/cleaning if I do the primer pockets at all
This year I have done over 10,000 rifle cases for myself and friends/family.
I use the motorized RCBS Case Trimer.

I have a Hornady prep center.

You have to learn it's quirks, but once you get tuned in to it, it's a good machine.

I like mine a lot.

I would love to have a machine as my hands and fingers get cramped prepping just 50 cases. Ugh.

Corey

For Trim,debur,chamfer one step.... I use the Giraud Tri Way in an electric drill or drill press
http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

If needed, for crimped primer pockets (only have to do once, careful not to over swage).. I use Dillon Super Swage 600
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... uctId/3086

Because I deprime everthing and wet stainless tumble as first step before anything, my brass and pockets are clean and bling....but do use a Lyman to uniform primer pockets as brass enters first rotation and as needed after, but frankly a simple drill mounted primer pocket tool would be more economical than buying the lyman just to do primer pockets if you go with a tri-way http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/211733 ... ot+Presses)-_-Lyman-_-211733&gclid=CPuw9byOx9ECFQEIaQod31gFAw

Biggest time saver was the Tri-Way..... my beat up mits get tired though, so 300 to 500 pieces a day is about all I have the patience for......takes about an hour depending on how much cutting. Can fly with it, and its accurate/index's from shoulder....so it's as accurate as your headspace measurements after sizing.

hope this helps

Back