Build an AR?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Some of you may have read in another post that I got my first AR a couple weeks ago and as you said, the "Black Rifle Bug" bit me...And now I'm looking at another in 22 Nosler..BUT, I want to assemble it myself..I've never done it before but I've read anything and everything I could find about it, and watched all of Larry Potterfield's videos about it..So I'm wondering if it's something I can do..I don't plan on rushing it, just take my time and be meticulous about it...As far as what "skills" I have goes, I've been messing around with rifles for over 30 years (except AR's), I've rebuilt about 5 car engines, and was a machinist for about 15 years...Seems to me there is plenty of resources out there, and I believe I can take on the project.. I already have the lion's share of the tools I've seen used, just need a few AR specific tools. I plan on using as many "drop and go" parts as I can.

So, Am I biting off more than I can chew?

You're going to be fine with your background. I had guys I sent to armorers schools who couldn't change a tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. I think I'll hold off on a barrel until more options are available for 22-N...Right now all I can find is AR-Stoner and the reviews are just "so-so" My plan is to order the best parts I can afford as I go along, and don't want to scrimp on something like a barrel.

Wonder why they don't list a rate of twist on that barrel? No biggie, just curious.

Dwh7271":3gwl7dou said:
Wonder why they don't list a rate of twist on that barrel? No biggie, just curious.

I wondered the same thing and emailed them. They replied quickly with 1:8 being the twist...Odd they left that out of the description.

Yep, it was odd.
That's one of the first things I look for when barrel shopping, is what twist is it or what is available.
An 8 should handle pretty much everything except perhaps the Berger 90s.
I'll be interested to see how ot does for you.

I'll be sure to post updates as I go along and, of course, live fire results.

Back