Bullet weight dispersion patterns??

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
So I was weight sorting the remainder of the 162 amax factory blems that I used during break in last night and noticed an interestin pattern. I can't graph it on this computer, but out of the 54 that I weighed I'd guess that over 90% fell into one of two categories. 159.6-160.4 and 162-162.5 There were virtually none that weighed 161. I wasn't expecting too much as these are blemished bullets that I got for very cheap. I did weight some of my 140 BT 2nds though and they were very consistent weighing 139.8-140.1.

Anyone else find that their bullets sorted into two distinct groups like that?

I wonder if you got bullets from two different production lots, or two different dies?

Oh, and no, I don't get two distinct weights like that, 'cause I almost never weigh a bullet! :grin:

I can see that happening,,,and I do weigh some myself. But I haven't seen that in what I'm weighing. Only ones I check are for my long range XP 6mm AI. And from what I'm finding, it happens to be a waste of time, but then I'm not using seconds in this. The Nosler 105 CC's are within the +/- of the scale's .01 gr. tolerence's. Haven't had any culls, with them running 104.9 -105 grs. Still got some load work with them, but then looking to try the 107's see if they tighten up just a little in this 7.5" twist.
It would be interesting to see what if any change there might be with Nolser Seconds in the CC's. But from what I seen in the other Seconds I have gotten, I wouldn't expect much if any change

But I would agree, it sounds like they have some quality issues in the line with some facet.

I don't usually weight sort either, I just did it out of curiosity as these were seconds and were supposed to be match bullets. I'm thinking of loading the two groups seperately and seeing if I can even see a practical difference within my shooting capabilities.

If I'd payed full price I might have been a little disappointed :mrgreen:

I was pretty impressed with the consistency of the Nosler "seconds" though.

atm

Back