Colorado Hunting Boots

Stevesdl

Beginner
Feb 15, 2010
If I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies.

I have 3rd season this year in Colorado. I do not have a pair of good hunting boots. I am going with my son this year and it sounds like he likes to hike 5 miles a day.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair of boots for such an experience? I have looked at Kenetrek and Shnees and the slightly lower costing LaCrosse. pac boots I am assuming - (the ones that one can remove liners - and also some possible steel toes?) They are both at the higher priced end but if this is what I need? Otherwise would like to stay in the $100.00 range if possible. I just don't want boots that will kill my feet hiking.

Thanks
Steve

You don't want a pac boot. A good leather boot that has some thinsulate works the best for me. Make sure you start wearing them now so they broken in by the time you have to start hiking in the mountains.

everyone is different get what you are comfortable in

I prefer more of a hiking boot like Hi-Tec type style theyare just more comfortable to me. Some can hike all day in their logging lugs that dont work for me.

Also you may or may not want to get carried away with the amount of insulation I can barely stand 200 gr thinsulate in the dead of winter other are wearing 1000

I am glad 257 ackly mentined not to get the pac boots.. Everyone else's comments have me on the right path. I need to get them soon so can break them in. These are the last things I need to get.

Thanks all
Going to go look at the suggestins

Steve

What part of the State will you be hunting in ? There will be portions that could have quite a bit of snow by then. With that said, I'm still not a pac-boot fan. I only break my Sorels out in Dec when I know I'm going to spend more time on the ATV rather than hiking.

I use the Cabela's Perfekt Hiker w/ 400grams of Thinsolate. Great comfort, but fairly expensive. This boot covers me from sept archery season through Nov rifle season, and any type of terrain I want. If you know you'll be walking most of the time, that 400 to 600 gram range should be fine... the higher the thinsalate, the stiffer and less of a hiking boot they become.

My Dad uses the Danners and has had great luck with them. They are a very light boot.

You are more likely to have foot problems with boots made for walking or hiking rather than a pair made for rough terrain. La Sportiva, Asolo, Scarpia, Meindle and others make heavy duty boots. I get the best that I can afford, they are cheaper than doctor bills for twisted ankles and knees as well as time lost hunting. Mine are gortex lined but not insulated. Most days I am more concerned with wet rather than cold. Schnees are most excellent but like most pac's are not really great on the sidehills until you get a foot or so of snow. My heavy boots are low cut and I also wear gators whenever the conditions are wet. :grin: :grin:

I will be hunting the Eagle River Valey area (Units 35, and 36)(3rd season - November 6th thru the 14th). I have never been there before but Son's party has hunted there 3-4 seasons in a row. I am just hoping they don't walk me to death.

On the Cabela's site I have found these to be possibles and are in my budget range. I now the Danner's and others mentioned here are good but with my job and economy I have to be a tad careful with how much I spend this year.

Also I really could be "buffalo'd" from some sales techs if they start mentioning Gore-Tek and scent-loc and steel shanks and etc..

1. Cabela's 800-Gram All-Leather Iron Ridge™ Hunting Boots for $99.00
2. Cabela's Outfitter Series™ 9" 200-gram Hunting Boots - $139.99
3. Cabela's 9" Insulated Pinnacle™ Hunting Boots with GORE-TEX® Scent-Lok - $119.99
4. Cabela's Outfitter Series™ 12" 600-gram Hunting Boots - $159.99
5. Cabela's Outfitter Series™ 12" 600-gram Hunting Boots - $99.99

I have a Sportsman warehouse with 20 minutes of the house as well.

Thanks all
Every single suggestion is appreciated. I now I have to get them real soon so I can break them in.

Steve

Stevesdl

What ever you do, don't skimp on your foot wear! Poor or improper fit will leave you in a lot of discomfort and ruin your hunt. Buy on design, function and fit and not on price because you get what you pay for.

It is also a good idea to pack some Preparation H. It is an anti inflammatory cream that will help with blisters big time. Also invest in a few pairs of sock liners. :wink:

JD338

Nothing like poor fitting shoes to transform a great hunting trip into a nightmare. Buy the best you can afford and ensure that you break them in before leaving.

Cheap is not always a good thing... yup I agree...

I see some additional questions if I may.

The old school thinking in me questions the if the boots that are part leather, part other material, are they as good as the ones as the boots that are all leather?

I noticed JD338 mentioned sock liners? Are these something that goes with the insulation (like thinsilate) and the wool or thermal sock?

Preparation H now is on my "to bring list" (Excellent)

Thanks
Steve

Almost everyone here has switched over to Zamberlans. They are a bit more expensive but they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. The pair that I use for hunting I took out of the box and just started hunting in them (I don't recommend doing that but I didn't have a single blister or hot spot). The link below are the boots that I just got for my father.
[url=http://www.zamberlan.com/cata...w.zamberlan.com/catalog/index. ... 11&idcat=2 [/url]

These are the boots that Guy Eastman uses as well. They are amazing boots.

Here the boots I've been using
http://www.irishsetterboots.com/irishse ... lint-brown

I've wore those boot around -27 on a late cow hunt for snow I'll use gators. I've got good pair of socks don't need liners and I want a boot over my ankles as might get above timberline get in the rocks and have to sidehill alot.

I'll be hunting just east of you unit 37 3rd season for bucks my wife has a bull tag and buck tag.

I've got a first elk tag so I'll take along boots that aren't insulated. I also have a good pair of Sorrels. I live appr 7700ft elevation so we get a pretty good amount of snow and I have a good collection of winter boots. In fact I'm leaving Wed AM wife going to fish and I'm scouting unit 37 and 18 for bulls be back home Sat. Should be a good year seasons are starting a week later this year and acouple extra days on the 3rd season helps.

Before I got the Irish Setter I had a good pair of Red-Wings there were like these http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdeta ... rodid=2027

Well good luck

Elkman":1ndk4qdb said:
You are more likely to have foot problems with boots made for walking or hiking rather than a pair made for rough terrain. La Sportiva, Asolo, Scarpia, Meindle and others make heavy duty boots. I get the best that I can afford, they are cheaper than doctor bills for twisted ankles and knees as well as time lost hunting. Mine are gortex lined but not insulated. Most days I am more concerned with wet rather than cold. Schnees are most excellent but like most pac's are not really great on the sidehills until you get a foot or so of snow. My heavy boots are low cut and I also wear gators whenever the conditions are wet. :grin: :grin:

Same here. I live in Asolo boots. Out here where I am at it is very rocky and steep, and just plain crappy. Heck, just walking to get chow is rough going. I wear a pair of Asolo 520GTX's and 535's. I get mine from REI. Not sure if you have one around your area, but they will get you set up properly. I have two pairs of the 520's. Once pair has been to AFG 4 times now and are still in great shape. They are full leather, with Gore Tex, uninsulated. I cannot recommend them enough. They hold your weight, won't let your ankles roll, and handy heavy packs the best I have ever seen. I've worn a ton of different boots, but solid, stiff rough country boots are the way to go. You will spend 250.00 on a pair, but mine have lasted 6 years so far and I don't think they will die. Plus, if they do, REI will replace them, free of charge. Scotty

I use meidles.... the boots with the cork inside that form to your feet. Best boot I have even owned. For snow, I have a more insulated Meindle.

Free advice, don't skimp on the boots. They can last a lot of years, and comfort is really important on longer hunts,
Hardpan

I also forgot to mention, the same boots I use here in AFG work awesome when I am out West climbing and packing meat on my back. Hardpan said it right, don't ever skimp on boots. They are the only think connecting you to the ground and your feet will thank you for it! Scotty

The Eagle basin area is definately mountainous, but not what I'd call extreme by any measure. I would stay away from the steel toes - 400-600gram boot would be good you've heard it time and time don't skimp. These boots should last you years
I would hihgly recomend trying them on rather than mail order
Another option is Vasque which I believe is a division of red-wing. They used to cary more of a hunting boot rather than the hiking boots you see now. I had a pair that was extremely comfy but only got about 5yrs out of them.

Sock liners work great for some and notr so for others. I used to not leave home without several pairs as I could destroy a pair in a couple days. Now with a proper fitting boot and good sock I won't touch them

I would recommend Danner Boots with 400-600 grams of thinsulate insulation. I have Hunted Colorado Back Country 10-Miles in Wilderness in 2nd and 3rd Seasons and I would suggest you go prepared for SNOW! I would highly recommend a good pair of Gaiters to go along with the boots. I have Danners with 600 grams of Thinsulate and use Gaiters, they have never let me down. Also I have used Cabelas mid to heavy weight socks that absorb and wick moisture from your feet and provide warmth. I typically cover 5-7 miles a day while hunting rough terrain encountering very steep inclines. The investment in good quality boots will make your hunt more enjoyable. If I were you I would make the purchase ASAP and start walking in them prior to the hunt to break them in as well as get your feet accustomed to the feel.

Best Luck Hunting,
Don

To Everyone,
Incredible recommendations and suggestions. I must have done enough investigative shopping to become a "newbie critic".

I don't think there was one comment that I did not investigate. I took a little bit of a shortcut out. AS mentioned, money did play a factor. I am taking an 11 day gamble and purchased the CABELA'S 800 GRAM ALL-LEATHER IRON RIDGE brown boots. These boots had some high recommendations and were under $99.99.

My son has the Danner's and a friend I believe has the Meindl boots. Both swear by them. I have a decent pair of insulated no-name hiking boots that I use for fishing trips that I will also take with me just in case I run into problems and have to pull out that Prep H. :):)

I did also order some special socks and the sock liners also as mentioned. Good suggestions!

Thank you everyone and I will let everyone know the verdict after the hunt.

P.S. I am not too proud to let everyone know they were right if I am wrong. If I get blisters, I'll just hang a slab of bacon outside the camp at night and get my bear. (joking)

Back