Cory's First Elk Taken With A 100 Grain Partitions

hightopoutfitter

Beginner
Oct 9, 2008
Well with 5 days left in the season we hit the mountain for a night hunt to try and find an elk for my son Cory. It was our third time out during the December cow elk hunt. There had been a lot of hunters and pressure on the unit. We saw a couple of herds of elk on the bordering unit. We headed over to another area and caught this elk moving down. Cory and I sat down and at 205 yards he hit the elk with the first shot. The elk moved about 10 feet and Cory hit him again perfect behind the front shoulder. The elk went down. It was a lot of fun to see a young hunter get his first elk at the age of 12. Cory used a Ruger .243 Winchester Compact LSS, A Leupold Scope and 100 Grain Nosler Partitions. The combination was very effective. We had a great year hunting together. He took a doe antelope earlier in the year. While in the field I was overwelmed with the compassion of other hunters who went out of their way to try and help a 12 year old fill his tag. It was a real treat to give Cory a positive hunting experience. I am looking forward to hunting next season with my son.
coryelk.jpg

Wow! Congratulations to the young hunter. And to you for working to get him on an elk. Amazing what a small bullet can do when well placed isn't it? Those 100 gr Partitions shoot real well from our 6mm Remington too.

Good Job! I like these youth/hunter posts... Good stuff.

Regards, Guy

hightopoutfitter

Congratulations to both Corey and yourself, nicely done.
The two of you will never forget this hunt. Thanks for sharing.

JD338

Great job on the hunt. I bet your son was very proud of himself, and his good shooting!! What a great day. It doesn't get any better than that! :grin:

Congrats to the boy! I'm still trying to get my kid brother in law his first deer. 3 years now, he sees em but doesn't /can't shoot. Put him in my best stand 2 years in a row he's seen bucks opening morning, guess he's just not a killer yet. Wish he'd get one so I could get my stand back!

As for the .243, impressive to see that it will kill elk efficiently, but it might be time to shop for a .308 in the same rifle. Just a bit more margin for error if things go wrong, and the boy looks like he's ready for a bit more oompa. Give you an excuse to go rifle shopping! My wife love's her Savage md. 10 accutrigger.

That is one heck of a story. Just goes to show that a gun that is "to small" can get the job done with a great bullet and great bullet placement. Congrats.

And added to the fact that the youngster had a fine hunt is, a freezer full of fine eatin', yum yum :grin: :!: .

Jim

Sweet deal. Lucky boy, some hunters never even seen one.

Yep, congrats to you both. These are the hunts I would love to see a video on instead of the infomercial high dollar hunts on tv.

Long

Awesome shooting on your boys part. That is the same load my son uses in his 243 and I would have O issues if he had a good shot and a proper rest. That little Partition is nasty. Scotty

Nothing quite so fun asseeing a youngster get a good start on hunting! Congrats to the young man! Thats the way to shoot! Keep picking "the spot" and shoot those calibres you can handle like that! Nice Job all around! CL

Way Cool!!!
The first few Deer/Elk that a son/daughter shoots are always the ones you will remember over your own.

+1 on the 243 with 100gn PT, Big things happen in that little package.

Congrats Corey and family. Great to see a young man out in the field.
A lot of life lessons to be learned.

Blessings,
Dan

Dosent he know any better! You cannot kill an elk with a rifle that does not end in Magnum.

Thats great to see. Probably the first of many elk.

Congrats to you and Cory. This is one part of his life that he will never forget.

Back