Couldn't do much better with a scope.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Flintlocks will shoot. The flintlock that my buddy built for me was shooting low for me. He took the barrel out of the stock, removed the breech plug and looked through the barrel carefully. Said yep I can see why it's shooting a little low. Put it in a vise and bent the barrel to his liking at the spot he seen, and put it back together.

I shot it here at the house at 25 yds off the hood of my truck. It put the shots almost in the same hole. Little high now but I'm burying the front sight on the dot.........if I just adjust my hold to 6:00 where what I want to hit is sitting on top of the sight, it should be real close. Still shooting a bit to the left, that can be fixed by drifting the rear sight over.

3 shots.

Ha. Sent that picture to my buddy, and he's like me......if he knows how to make something better, he can't leave it alone. Said bring it back down, we will take the barrel back out and I'll bend it down a little, and a little to the right while I have it out. He knows what he's doing so I'll let him fuss at it.

Flintlocks will shoot. The flintlock that my buddy built for me was shooting low for me. He took the barrel out of the stock, removed the breech plug and looked through the barrel carefully. Said yep I can see why it's shooting a little low. Put it in a vise and bent the barrel to his liking at the spot he seen, and put it back together.

I shot it here at the house at 25 yds off the hood of my truck. It put the shots almost in the same hole. Little high now but I'm burying the front sight on the dot.........if I just adjust my hold to 6:00 where what I want to hit is sitting on top of the sight, it should be real close. Still shooting a bit to the left, that can be fixed by drifting the rear sight over.

3 shots.

That’s some fine shootin’ there👍

Looks good Jeff. Are you going to use it in your flintlock season? Dan.

Didn't get out yet. Last week we had a good bit of rain and honestly I wasn't ready yet. It's all brand new to me so the couple sessions I've shot it now has at least familiarized me with loading procedures, etc.

I got 6 more days left in this late flintlock season. Got some work and jobs to do this week, we will see if the weather cooperates with any free time to hunt. I have ZERO of all the accessories needed, have to get all of them yet, but my buddy has enough of the extra's to get me by to go hunting. If not, this upcoming season I'll be set and ready for the early inline muzzleloader season which I can use this flintlock for.

Some mighty fine shooting from a smokepole :). I use to have a .54 cal Thompson Hawken that i built from a kit and it was a cap lock but i've always liked the flint lock as well. I shot iron sights and enjoyed it alot. I use to keep my bow stands up after archery season and hunted from those for black powder season. I still don't know why i ever sold that rifle among a few others. If i had a rubber leg i'd still be kicking myself. I've been getting interested again the last several years in getting back into black powder hunting and if i pull the trigger i think i'll try to find a Thompson Renegade as i really like that particular rifle. I've always enjoyed the challenge of primitive hunting. Mike

Some mighty fine shooting from a smokepole :). I use to have a .54 cal Thompson Hawken that i built from a kit and it was a cap lock but i've always liked the flint lock as well. I shot iron sights and enjoyed it alot. I use to keep my bow stands up after archery season and hunted from those for black powder season. I still don't know why i ever sold that rifle among a few others. If i had a rubber leg i'd still be kicking myself. I've been getting interested again the last several years in getting back into black powder hunting and if i pull the trigger i think i'll try to find a Thompson Renegade as i really like that particular rifle. I've always enjoyed the challenge of primitive hunting. Mike

This one is a 54 caliber as well. I got a lot to learn, but am getting there. They are fun for sure and easy to shoot, little to no recoil. So far I've left him clean it.........it takes him all of maybe 5-7 minutes tops to have everything cleaned up barrel and lock, put back together and oiled until next time. I've been watching his procedure and steps, it will probably take me 30 minutes the first time but I'll get there. Ha.

That's crazy accurate for a flintlock. Have fun.

Thanks! Satisfying but doesn't shock me, I've seen him produce some crazy accuracy with his rifles and most of it off hand. They shoot.

He has me using a .527 ball with pillow ticking for patches that has been put through the washer and dryer and ends up at .022 thickness after that procedure. Uses Mr Flintlock patch lube and 80 grains of 2F powder. Says when going hunting he uses bear fat typically for patch lube and not the Mr Flintlock, as sitting for extended periods loaded before it eventually gets shot, can gum up the powder.

We tried a .520 ball with the same patch but it didn't shoot as good for me, so this is what it seems to like.

.530 round ball using a drill cloth patch with wonder lube or similar type has given me good groups and what I used target shooting or hunting. What you're doing is good also. Hope you get the opportunity to try it out before your season ends. Dan.

Back