dangerous colt

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
I'm not a pistol buff but hopefully I can describe this so members know what I'm talking about. My buddy inherited a colt .32 rimless smokeless. there is no model # but there is a pat. apr 20 1897- dec22 1903. The first time he took it to the range he put a loaded mag in and pulled back the slide and upon releaseing the slide it fired, He looked at me like what the hell just happened, so I told him to shoot again he pulled the trigger and nothing. so we removed the mag and the live round from the barrel. and I cocked the slide empty and sqeezed the saftey on the back of the hand grip without touching the trigger, and got it to click (dry fire). my questioin is what is worn out on this gun, It is in nice shape and I don't think has fired all that many rounds, any ideas would help.

That is exactly why we always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
I am going to point this out in all my future Hunter Safety Classes that I teach.

As for the problem your friend is having, I really don't know other than something is either worn or broken. I would recommend he take it to a good gun smith. Sorry I missed your first post and don't have more to offer.

JD338

It's probably the sear that's worn. Those specific old colts have a reputation for being a little flaky if not first check out by a good gunsmith.

Back