Daughter's Remington Model 7 .260

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
This is my daughter's Remington model 7 .260 with a new Bell & Carlson stock. This gun was a great shooter and she's harvested some nice deer with it but the groups started opening up and the accuracy really went down. I was going to glass bed the wood stock but when I removed it I noticed a crack in the top of the wood where the rear trigger guard screw goes into the action. Im not 100% sure the crack was the reason for the accuracy falling off but i feel pretty certain that it was indeed the culprit.
She decided that she wanted to go back with a Synthetic so I went with this one with the full length bedding block. She picked out the stock as well as the sling. We're hoping to get to the reloading bench soon and she what she will do. I would like to try the 125gr Partitions but it seems there's none available right now so we'll stick with the 120gr PH's that we've been using until we can get our hands on some. Im hoping the accuracy will return to what it use to be, we'll see.

I would believe that your diagnosis is correct. A cracked stock is never a means of improved accuracy. The Model Seven is a good action, but it does require some attention in order to get them to shoot accurately. I've had a few (including one .260), and all shot reasonably well. Sounds as if you are making all the right choices to get your daughter shooting again. The rifle looks very good with her choice of stock and sling.

I'm happy with the B&C Medalist I put on my 300Bee, it really helped to improve the accuracy of that rifle over the factory tupper ware stock. My only suggestions would be to smoke the action and reinstall it into the stock and look for high spots in the bedding block.

Good looking little rig that ought to serve well for all but the heaviest North American game.

Nice!

That looks great. A cracked stock is definitely something that can't help accuracy so more than likely was the problem. The 120 gr Sierra was very accurate when I tried them a number of years ago it probably won't be too hard to get a good load quickly.

Nice stock choice. I like mine.
Agree w TD on smoking it to see contact points.
I've skim bedded my Medalists to make bedding more solid. Even w the aluminum block you can't always count on the action itself being perfectly solid and square.
She'll like that stock.

Thanks!
I'll definitely take you guys advice and smoke the action and check for misfits. The only problem I've had thus far is with the cheesy rear trigger guard screw. I don't know why Remington used such a small screw with such a small head on it.

I called Bell & Carlson requesting the recommended torque for the action screws and the tech guy there said 55-65 inch/lbs. No problem achieving that on the front screw but there's just no way to achieve that with the oem rear screw. I stripped out the original screw and had to drill an use an ezy out to remove it. I ordered another one from Remington and low and behold I stripped it out too. It's in the rifle now and tight but i'm not sure what the inch/lbs are. I'm thinking of trying to find a bigger after market screw that will be a little beefier. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have a few of the Medalists. One is on my 35 Newton and the other is on a Model 70 7mm Rem Mag. Both of them work well and have been accurate. I haven't skimmed mine, only bedded the recoil lugs and they have shot very well. The others are right though, a full skim job never hurts anything.

Looks great. Nice package.

my boyd's stock cracked at tue same place and my grouping went from sub moa to 2-3"
i used crazy glue and with a syringe sent glue in the crack. it fixed it good
and stared grouping sub-moa again

I broke the French walnut stock for my .270 right at the hand. The break pieces were irregular like the grain and fit back together very carefully. I drilled a 3/16ths hole through the center of the hand back into the butt stock with a 1/4 inch matching hole in the fore end. Then screwed a 4 inch, 1/4 wood lag screw counter sunk in through forestock with Accraglass in the hole and on the broken surfaces. I let it cure and put Accraglass into the action inletting to cover the screw head. Pretty hard to find the crack now and it has held solidly for 30 years. The rifle still shoots 3/4 MOA groups to 300 yards.

Back