Ear Protection. -- Muzzle Brakes

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
1. do you use the same ear protection when hunting that you do at the range ?

2. what ear protection do you use when hunting ?

3. does any of you use muzzle brakes on your rifles when hunting ?

In the reverse order. I do not use muzzle brakes on any of my rifles, even those that are chambered in larger cartridges. I do not wear ear protection when hunting, though I would not be closed to some of the newer "in the ear canal" devices with blast protection. I wear both plugs and muffs when shooting from the firing line. I am leery of hunting with friends who tote rifles with muzzle brakes. I hunted one time with a friend who had a BAR with a muzzle brake. He shot from my left and the muzzle roughly straight out from my ear. Been suffering ever since.

I do not use ear protection while hunting... I generally hunt open country, but I need to be able to hear that grizzly crashing through the brush on his way inbound. I've thought about toting those plugs on a band around my neck to be able to plug up before shooting but I'm sure I'd even remember.

I have a dedicated hatred of muzzle brakes...any of my rifles that needs a brake...needs to be a smaller rifle.

I did have a hunting partner fire a braked rifle to my immediate left on one caribou hunt- my ear rang for three days and I'm sure I lost some hearing permanently. That said, generally on open ground the quietest place is going to be behind the rifle and I've never noticed ill effect after shooting the one or two rounds at game.

I always use hearing protection on the range.

I wear plugs and muffs at the range. Nothing while hunting. My 338 Jarrett has a brake. I do keep plugs around my neck hunting with all my rifles. If I have time to set up a shot I generally can get a plug in.
I've lost 60% of the hearing in my left ear. I've gotten in the habit of stuffing the left plug in when I take a stand as I wouldn't hear a heard of elk sneaking by on my left any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we dont have a range

we do not wear ear protection when we hunt

we do not use muzzle brakes nor will we hunt with anyone who has one

We teach and we were taught at home and at school the importance of being a responsible steward of the land and animals. We are taught not to use just our eyes but our ears and nose to listen and smell nature and what it is saying to us. Danger can come not just from animals,but the weather as well.

This may seem a bit unusual to some but we have actual classes in school that teach hunting, trapping, fishing,and how to see, smell, hear animal and weather signs, as well as our responsibility to the land that provides for us.

A couple of my rifles have muzzle brakes. I used to pooh-pooh them, but the more I use them the more I like them. Try a .223 Rem with one and note how well you can watch a bullet trace all the way to the target - that's fun!

I grew to like them after my hunting partner got them due to his cervical disc disease and neck surgery. Recoil got to be too much for him, and even though they are louder there are significant benefits to being able to stay on target, or at least get back on target much quicker. They really did become a "try it, you'll like it" kind of thing. Most of my shooting, though, is still with unbraked rifles and they do remain my preference. However, try my 340 Weatherby without a brake and then the one with and I know which one you'll want to keep shooting.

At the range I virtually always use double protection, with electronic or foam ear plugs + electronic or passive ear muffs. It's just helpful when under the metal roof overhang to quiet down the rifle report. If shooting long range in the field I will often use just one form of protection as the sound doesn't have a roof to bounce down from.

In the field, as well as often in the range, I wear the digital electronic units I purchased from EAR, Inc. After Dad and my hunting partner both said after an elk hunt in 2012 that they were the most important piece of equipment they took on the trip, I splurged and bought them as well. They can magnify soft sounds, and block out loud sounds. I may not always have them in when in the field depending on my activity and odds of seeing an animal, but they're close by.

The custom molded ear plugs from EAR are also wonderful. I have 2 pair, and use them constantly for jobs around the house as well as shooting. If you look, a hearing aid center near you likely is a distributor and can make you a set.

I don't wear protection while hunting but use electronic muffs on the range. I have hearing loss from shooting trap when I was in my teens and from military duty but the worse thing was from driving trucks and the air rushing into my left ear with the drivers window down. I have permanent ringing in both ears but only notice it when indoors. My wife says I have selective hearing but if she only knew how I suffer she wouldn't be so critical.
Funny thing is I can hear a twig snap 50yds away when hunting but then I'm in a different zone of concentration.

Cheyenne if only we could walk out the back door and find a place to shoot with out seeing a house like it use to be around here it would be nice. It's also funny how some things come natural or your born with that extra sense for hearing seeing and smelling game. I was never taught these things but picked them up over time just being out doors and observing my surroundings. The pleasure of sitting under a tree listening to all the sounds and locating where they come from with sight and smell. One sense accommodates the other. And yes I would fall a sleep with natures lullaby in my ears more then once but to wake up in time to go home.
Just the ramblings of senior hunter remembering life lessons well taught.

most of us can not even imagine a school allowing the teachers to teach hunting and trapping.

Besides folks like Dr Mike, gil and cheyenne, are hunting and trapping taught in your school district ?

Hodgeman, do they teach hunting in the Alaska schools ?

hunternyny":1w8xmzue said:
Hodgeman, do they teach hunting in the Alaska schools ?

Depends on the school- Hunter Ed is generally taught with Safety in High schools- although in rural areas many kids have already taken it prior to high school. Schools in more rural areas cover more hunting topics just as a matter of local culture. In our area, taking the kids out of school for a week in Sept for moose camp is an acceptable absence.

Lots of schools also do stuff like this-
http://juneauempire.com/art/2016-10-12/moose-butchering-local-foods-project-turns-to-game

I can remember taking a gun to school but left it in my car till the end of the day.
Some counties in Pa and WV used to close school on opening day of deer season since no one would show up for school except the teachers.
I wouldn't think of having a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle but did consider a clamp on brake for the 300bee, I sold it instead of putting a brake on it. Yep no brakes for me.

I have a muzzle brake on two of my magnum rifles, the 7mm and .300, the other standard calibers don't need them. When I went to do load work up in the 300 Magnum a few weeks ago, I asked the older fella next to me if he is good with his ear muffs, and he gave me the thumbs up and that he is ready, so I fired the first round and the muzzle blast blew his load book and his cap off his shooting table. :lol: I said " Sorry", and he frowned at me and got up to move his stuff about 4 tables over. :evil:

I use the muzzle brake for a reason which is recoil if shooting a long session at the range and sore arms. It's reason why I am selling my new 10 gauge Browning BPS 30 inch barrel because of recoil, I rather stick with my 12 autos.

I agree that muzzle brakes have a place. I have shot many rifles fitted with muzzle brakes (both good and bad). There is no question that watching the bullet impact the target when firing a 260 Rem or even a .243 Win is interesting. Neither will I deny that a good brake does tame some of the fire-breathing monsters I was asked to hold in my delicate hands. Nevertheless, I don't want to become dependent upon brakes just to shoot rifles chambered for cartridges that burn copious quantities of propellant to launch massive projectiles. I am sympathetic to those who have medical problems necessitating such help. However, my choice is to avoid muzzle brakes. Maybe when I grow old :shock: I will require such assistance. For the time being, I will try to preserve my hearing by avoiding these accoutrements at the firing line. My tinnitus is disconcerting enough after years of firing and a severe closed head injury without contributing to it even more.

I shot a Matador 10ga double barrel once standing up. Pulled the back trigger and both barrels went off :shock: I couldn't use my arm for an hour afterwards. :(
Oh and did I say I shot it once :?:
Brakes have there place but would rather put a recoil reducer in the stock if I have to.

I've braked two rifles. One for the reason to keep the darn thing from jumping off the bench and the other because at the time decisions were made my two boys were young. At the time it seemed like a good idea so that they could shoot it. After 3 years getting that rifle built that was a poor decision..................... hind sight is always 20/20..................

I'm still glad about the first. It shot extremely well before the brake and just as well after.

After hunting with a braked rifle I made the decision to have ear muffs resting on my head and when the time comes to shoot, slip them over my ears. It's a little difficult when stalking, one more thing to remember to do.

I've also gotten my boys to hunt with them too and since their hearing is still good it might stay that way......
Too late for me................

What was that?????

The barrel on my 300 RUM is ported. I use plugs and muffs at the range. I use plugs hunting in Colorado hunting for Big Game there.The ported barrel helps me to manage recoil shooting 200 grain bullets.

Don

hunternyny":2lx51mgh said:
1. do you use the same ear protection when hunting that you do at the range ?

2. what ear protection do you use when hunting ?

3. does any of you use muzzle brakes on your rifles when hunting ?

Yes to all the above. I use sportears

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

DrMike":2ufak0o9 said:
I agree that muzzle brakes have a place. I have shot many rifles fitted with muzzle brakes (both good and bad). There is no question that watching the bullet impact the target when firing a 260 Rem or even a .243 Win is interesting. Neither will I deny that a good brake does tame some of the fire-breathing monsters I was asked to hold in my delicate hands. Nevertheless, I don't want to become dependent upon brakes just to shoot rifles chambered for cartridges that burn copious quantities of propellant to launch massive projectiles. I am sympathetic to those who have medical problems necessitating such help. However, my choice is to avoid muzzle brakes. Maybe when I grow old :shock: I will require such assistance. For the time being, I will try to preserve my hearing by avoiding these accoutrements at the firing line. My tinnitus is disconcerting enough after years of firing and a severe closed head injury without contributing to it even more.

This is pretty much the way I feel about muzzle brakes. I have never personally used them, and have tried to not hunt with anyone who does use them. Like Dr Mike, I am an understanding person and strongly believe each person has the right to use what works for them--as long as it does not affect me.

I definitely agree with Hodgeman and others about wanting to be able to hear, what is going on around me when I am hunting, so no I dont wear anything when hunting. Our "range" at home is home made and outside so if there are young ones around or it involves more than just a few shots to sight in a rifle, then yes I do.

Does anybody still fire up the cat or tractor and built a burr out of railroad ties and dirt in the field behind the barn or is this another one of those things that have been replaced with something much fancier. I am feeling older each day Dr Mike, but I am refusing to lay down and die L:OL

I have had a couple rifles with muzzle brakes. I find the type of break makes a big difference. The shark gill or large circular ports in the side tend to be the loudest for the shooter. The radial brakes with angled ports and front ports like the vias break don't make it noticeable louder as long as the barrel isn't too short.

I always wear hearing protection at the range but never while hunting. I'm actually moving over to suppressor for hunting. I have a pair waiting for a stamp and want to get at least one more direct thread 30 cal can.

A brake really only helps on cartridges were the ratio of powder being burned to bullet weight is heavier on the powder side. Something like a small caliber belted magmun like a 7mm STW will show more benefit with a muzzle break than say a 458 win mag.

As to hearing damage I'm sure my job driving trucks is doing a number on my ears from engine noise alone.

I hate muzzle breaks and refuse to use them. I had a Sako in 300 Win Mag when I was 22 that was Magna Ported. Back then I didn't use plugs pr muffs when shooting, and the extra noise from that rifle gave me a flinch, which I still have to work on every year to get to the point where I can shoot a rifle and not close my eyes or flinch during the shot. I have used plugs and muffs at the bench for years now and that helps. I also replace poor or hard recoil pads with Decelerator or Limbsavers on every rifle (on the harder kicking rifles for the recoil, but on the lighter ones to extend the length of pull, and so the rifle will stand in the corner on a hard floor). For me, and for most inexperienced shooters, I find that it is the noise more than the recoil that causes blinking and flinching. With practice I can get to the point every year that I can keep from blinking or flinching during the shot so that I can see my bullet strikes, but usually takes at least 200 rounds to get back to this.

As for breaks, I appreciate what they do for reducing recoil at the bench, but it is not pleasant to be around whether you are on the firing line at the range or with someone put hunting. I also want to call the shot, whether my own or someone elses that I am hunting with. And the brake will kick up a lot of dust, snow, leaves or grass at the shot that can obscure the animal, preventing this. And the noise is incredible. Not worth it for me.

This conversation has only hinted at an important point. There is a difference between breaks. Personally I side with the "no breaks for hunting" crowd for all the reasons mentioned. There are other ways to control recoil, including getting a smaller caliber rifle, heavier gun or longer barrel.

There is one break I like and three of my rifles carry one. It is called a quiet break because it sends all the gas forward, not to the side. I doubt it is as effective as a "true" break, but on a .223 or 7.62x39 they do all the things a break does without breaking your ear drums.

BTW I have found elk with my nose that I would have never found with just my eyes and ears. Tasted good too.

Back