Ehhh.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Got an old Rem 141 pump rifle that shoots factory 200 gr Cor Lokts very well, but I'm saving those. Loaded up 8 of the 180 Speers with H4895 working up to a top load.

Lever powder would be better in this old rifle to get the most speed and remain under pressure, but I don't have Lever, and have over 8 lbs of H4895 so using what I got.

Group is just under 1.25" at 50 yds. Certainly useable, but it has shot much better with factory. I'm guessing it would also shoot better with the 200 CL's loaded up with H4895. It is at the top charge weight but 40 fps under listed velocity so I should be fine.

Not premium results but bump the sights up 1 notch and it should be good for the ranges I'd be using it at.

Not a pump , but I learned the Remington autoloaders 742 & 7400 shoot best with lighter loads.

Assuming 35 Remington

JD338

Yeah sorry, 35 Remington. I'd like to try the 200 CLRN in it with both H4895, and Lever, but those Rem Cor Lokts are like gold to me because of the accuracy and speed I get with them in my 760, along with on game performance. I got 2 boxes of just the Rem CL bullets and close to 400 total counting the factory bullets I pull and load for it, but the 760 takes top priority for all them until the day I can buy them again.

I shouldn't complain at all about the results and be happy I got primers, powder, and bullets for whatever I want to shoot. Be happy with satisfactory results in today's world.

This is what this same rifle does with the factory ammo.

You will get a pile of venison with that load

JD338

That's a deer getter load. May not be as tight as the factory but lots of deer get killed with far worse groups than that. Go forth and slay some venison. Dan.

Thanks for the encouragement fella's. Sure would be nice if deer walked out into lighted fields at 65 yds, but where short range iron sights is concerned it's in dark brushy woods. Gonna try to give some of these old iron sighted rifles I enjoy so much, time in the woods this yr. Eyesight is making it tougher, but it is still doable under the right circumstances.

Back