Alternative to 4064.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Getting low on IMR 4064 and I don't feel like paying $46-$48 a lb when I find it. I got a lot of H4895 so thought I'd try it in my Sauer as an alternative to 52 gr of 4064 with a 150 gr bullet.

Already know what seating depth that rifle likes with the 150 Sierra PH so just loaded up 3 sets of 3 going a full grain apart on each set just to see how useable it would be. Used book starting load to start out.

Worked out real well actually. 2 of the 3 charges were under an inch with 1 charge well under. 46 gr's shot just under 7/8", 47 gr's went bigger at 1.25", and 48 gr's bought it well back the other way. That one shot .552.

Should run 2800-2825 in a 22" barrel which is well off what can be garnered from a 30-06 with a 150, but still fast enough that any well hit whitetail will be in trouble.

It's no longer available, but I've used IMR 4166 as a very good substitute for 4064. I hope they start making that one again.

Looks like you found a decent substitute. may be a touch slow, but I have it on good authority it won’t bounce off. Nice work 👍

Ha. No kidding on the bouncing off part. I probably wont even chrono it, that way I have no questions or second guessing.

Just to put it in perspective, Nosler speed data is typically highly optimistic. Most people have difficulty hitting their published speeds. I know for sure that on the low end it will match or exceed Nosler's highest published speed for a 300 Savage with a 150 & 24" barrel.

Nobody that would be able to achieve the highest listed velocity with a 150 in 300 Savage and 1/2" accuracy would ever feel under-gunned walking into the whitetail woods.

Just curious what else you were using the H4895 for? I’ve got a couple of pounds in the stash but have never tried it.

The 48.0 gr charge will keep your freezer full.
Nice work ST.

JD338

Just curious what else you were using the H4895 for? I’ve got a couple of pounds in the stash but have never tried it.

I love it on an above max book load when used in a 760 35 Remington. Liked it so well both in accuracy and on game results that I made sure I bought enough I'd never have to buy again for that combo.

Since then I've also used it in 35 Whelen with 200 grain bullets, and now this. Maybe the never having to buy again part was unrealistic. :D

It's listed for plenty of cartridges I never tried it in, such as 22-250.

ShadeTree, what model Sauer do you have ? I have a 100 Ceratec 8x57 and I love it. It also loves H4895 with a 150gr Horn Interlock and the 175gr Sierra PH

H4895 is very versatile for different calibers. I like it for my 35 Whelen. Your load looks good to go Shade. Don't chronograph this load, or you might want to pull the bullets :LOL: Dan.

ShadeTree, what model Sauer do you have ? I have a 100 Ceratec 8x57 and I love it. It also loves H4895 with a 150gr Horn Interlock and the 175gr Sierra PH

A wood stocked 101. The rifle has literally shot everything I've fed it from 130's thru 165's into 1/2" or less. 130's shot under 3/8", 150's both Hornady & Sierra into mid to high 5's with both IMR 4064 and now H4895, and Hornady 165's shot 1/2" on the button with both IMR 4064 & IMR 4350. Have not done anything with 180's yet other than initial testing with Hornady 180 round nose.

Feeding, extraction, & ejection has been smooth and spot on flawless. I almost wish I could fault it more being it's not American made, but man, they made themselves a good rifle. Only thing I dislike is the ergonomics of the push button safety on the rear of the bolt.. I'd much prefer the side safety on your 100 I believe just for pure ease of function.

They used some burled walnut to stock it. Pffffft. Those Germans must think they're pretty hoydee toydee. :LOL:

I picked this rifle up off the used rack and it was listed as being used as a display model at shows. I can only surmise that it was possibly one of the hand picked rifles used by the Sauer reps early on when they were first introducing this model to the American market. Not to say there's not others, but I haven't seen a wood stocked 101 prior or since with this kind of wood on it. Purely a guess, but either way I guess it's staying here.

Certainly a handsome piece. I would definitely be pleased to have that rifle in my collection.

Hmmm, H4895 and the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter in the 30-06. Where have I heard that before? Seriously, that's what I used for years after I got my first brand new store bought rifle back around 1954/5. A JC Higgins M50, an FN Mauser sporting rifle sold by Sears that had only been on the market a short while at the time. Came chambered to the .270 Win. and 30-06, chrome line bore but the stock has always seemed clubby to me. Might be OK for some 6 foot6 type with large hands but that was my only gripe. I still have that one, still all original plus three or four others that previous owner whittled a bit on the stocks to make them more comfortable. One had a complete custom stock on it that fit me like a glove. It was given to me by a friend when I lived in Nevada shortly before he passed on. I took a spill off a cliff and I went one way and the rifle went another. The stock was destroyed and the metal had a few scratches but the barreled action now sits in a Butler Creek synthetic stock and still shoot quite well.
I went with H4895 early on because back then you could but it straight from a barrel and take it home in a paper bag. Data on the bag would say. Use 3031 data or maybe 4064 or 4320 data but technically it was still 4895 war surplus powder. About the same time Hodgden took all the various lots and blended them into one homogenous powder called H4895. I worked that version up to 49.0 gr., velocity unknown as no personally chronographs were available back around 1966/7. These days, 49.0 gr. of H4895 is way too hot in the rifle I originally worked the load in. Funny thing is back around 1966 Lyman called 51.0 gr. H4895 with the 150 gr. Sierra as max. look in their latest manual and they haven't changed that data, still 51.0 gr. I note that they call pressure C.U.P. derived rather that the more modern P.S.I. which makes me wonder if they ever retested that data.
I quit using that load back around 1971/2 and went to the 180 gr. Pro-Hunter for my 30-06. I found there was less meat damage and in the fairly open areas of the northern Nevada desert if the deer ran a bit I had no problem finding it, unlike the Northwest California rain forest.
These days I use the 165 gr. Nosler AccuBond in my 30-06 for deer and elk and it has worked just fine. Powder used is W760.
Paul B.

H4895 is very versatile for different calibers. I like it for my 35 Whelen. Your load looks good to go Shade. Don't chronograph this load, or you might want to pull the bullets :LOL: Dan.

Yep, I'm gonna do my best to resist the temptation to chrono it.

While I have rifles like this, there is just as good a chance that this season I'll be working at setting up somewhere for a closer shot and using something like a iron sighted 141. I've never had an overabundant amount of people tell me that I'm too smart. :LOL:

Back