Elk Season Approaches!

I'm ready too. I have 2 bull tags in Idaho, plus I put my kids and myself in for a extra elk tag in the second drawing. I also have a cow tag in WY and my oldest kid has a bull tag. My kids have bull tags here as well. 6 elk tags between us at the moment.

Yes mr. Miner I am , unfortunately the state of Washington decided not to grant me a permit to harvest any bull elk in my favorite areas. So hunting spikes will another elk season for us. Luckily I have 2 trail cameras in a really good canyon that has produced 18 different spike bulls this year and plenty of the rag horn youngsters . I am certain once September arrives the bigger bulls will make their presence known.

Looking forward to being there for my daughter's archery elk hunt in Colorado at the beginning of September!

Timing conflicts for me, Colorado overlaps with my Oregon hunt and my Alberta moose overlaps with Montana. So just one tag.
I’ve been seeing plenty of elk on my morning hikes. Wish I had a tag for the Catherine Creek Unit. Dogs and I jumped a big herd a couple days ago with four or five decent bulls. I saw a bunch of cows and one spike yesterday. I’ve been hiking at 6 to 7 K seen both bulls and bucks starting to shed some velvet but have not heard any bugles yet.

Attachments

• IMG_8924.jpeg
    IMG_8924.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 10
Washington bulls, only about 10 miles from my home! This mid-winter photo was before sunrise in very low light, sorry for the poor resolution. Was on private property my friends own. This group of bulls winters there every year. I keep trying for the tag... :)

Very steep odds against drawing the tag to hunt big bulls in that area. Sigh...

Guy

Washington bulls, only about 10 miles from my home! This mid-winter photo was before sunrise in very low light, sorry for the poor resolution. Was on private property my friends own. This group of bulls winters there every year. I keep trying for the tag... :)

Very steep odds against drawing the tag to hunt big bulls in that area. Sigh...

Guy
OK but if you were to draw, which bull would it be? and do they not have landowner tags in WA?

In ID the landowners aren't supposed to sell the tags but it happens all the time. It's more like I'll donate to your checking account and your now my good friend that gives me a tag. :) .

I too hope to hang a nice bull on the wall. In fact of all the elk I have shot, only three of them were bulls, and none of them had impressive antlers at all. Cows eat better on average, but a spike or raghorn are also quite edible.

Elk hunting, unless I decide to try for another Aoudad or a Mouflon is going to be my only big game hunt this year. Neither Oregon nor Wyoming saw fit to bless me with any draw tags.

As I mentioned earlier I am very committed to using the .300 WSM and 150 grain Corelokt Tipped ammunition to punch my cow elk tag this year, but a beautiful Mauser 98 made by J.P. Sauer and Sohn chambered for .35 Whelen is on loan (with option to buy) from a good friend. Even if I buy it, it won't be ready to hunt with until it gets drilled and tapped etc. It may accompany me elk hunting in 2025!!

Back