Elk Tenderloin on the Grill

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I bought a Traeger Grill last year, and I've used it only once--until a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly, I've gone bonkers using this grill. It makes some excellent sirloins and burgers. Tonight, however, I made an elk tenderloin with Uncle Mike's Chipotle Potato Salad. I made certain the small ends of the tenderloin were tied, and then rubbed the tenderloin with Uncle Mike's special rub. I've given this recipe before, but here is an abbreviated version. I started with 1/4 cup of brown sugar (dark brown has richer flavour), adding a generous amount of ancho pepper and red pepper flakes to play off the sweetness of the sugar. I added sea salt to taste, a little dry mustard and a dash of curry powder to bring out some of the richness of the sugar. Then I added a generous amount of smoky paprika, which really enriches the flavour of many meat dishes. I used a bit of cumin to make the flavour reminiscent of the Southwest. This was thoroughly mixed before coating the tenderloin. I then heated a small amount of virgin olive oil in a pan and seared the tenderloin all over. When it was done, I transferred the tenderloin to an old baking sheet. Then, I mixed up some Dijon Mustard (about one-third cup) with a generous amount of Worcestershire sauce and dried thyme leaves. I basted the tenderloin on all sides. I had started the grill and had it smoking quite well with oak pellets before heating it thoroughly at high temperature. I placed the meat on the grill until it reached an internal temperature of 145 F, which was medium rare on the larger end (the way I like it) and medium well done on the smaller end (the way the queen of our house likes it).

The chipotle potato salad has become a favourite for my wife and myself. I gave the recipe earlier (http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17850). It is difficult to foul up this recipe. We decided that we may start leaving out the feta cheese as the flavour is so delicate that the chipotle overwhelms it. I also substituted coarse sea salt for table salt and used walnut oil instead of olive oil when roasting the potatoes. In any case, it was excellent fare that made my good lady smile.

WOW! That sounds excellent. I have been looking into the Traeger grill myself. What size did you get Mike?

I have also looked at this grill as well..

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

My old Cabela's grill is getting pretty worn out.

Mike, Scotty, it is delicious. Both recipes have become a hit with my wife; she is the ultimate critic. If my preparation passes her taste test, I imagine it will work with about anyone.

That particular grill you named looks really interesting, Scotty. I see that we have a couple of dealers about 450 km to the west and one 600 km to the east. We got the Traeger when our last grill finally burned out. We got the Lil' Tex model, which works quite nicely for us.

I love the Traeger's food, it's incredible. The only thing that keeps me from buying one is the ability to sear steaks above 500 degrees (F). Love the flavor, my father in law sells them at his lumber yard and has one of his own. I could probably get a pro deal on one, but I just have not brought myself to do it yet.

As far as the BGE goes, I'd LOVE to have one of those for a charcoal smoker!

Mike, You are correct about the inability to sear steaks. Consequently, I do keep a small grill specifically for steaks. I use the Traeger primarily for other meats, though it does make an excellent steak if smoking is going to be the means of cooking. Candidly, I was not familiar with the BGE. Man, my patio could get filled with cooking toys. By the by, the fatty is definitely going to get some attention. I'll make certain to invite a couple of medical staff over when I do it, however. My primary concern is that my wife will make me join her in a longer walk for the following week or two. :mrgreen:

I love cooking toys Doc! We will be moving into a new house this weekend and there is a "hot tub" room off the side of the house, I'm thinking the hot tub is toast and outdoor kitchen is moving in :grin:

At this point, I have 1 smoker, 2 charcoal grills, two burner stove with grill box....... and a dehydrator...I'm thinking I need to add at least one smoker to the bunch! I love all things cooking.

Try one of those fatty's on the traeger when you have an all guys weekend........(so momma don't know) They are fantastic and you can do all kinds of meat and stuffings, the sky is the limit!

Man, your new home sounds great! Cooking toys are nice--almost as nice as a gun room. Okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration. I could eat a lot of microwave meals just so I didn't have to give up a rifle. Nevertheless, cooking is a lot of fun. I did try something similar to the fatty last winter, and it didn't turn out quite as good as I wanted. I made one discovery when I used elk burger--it needs some suet to maintain the roll. My current moose has some beef suet mixed in to give it a bit more moisture. So, I'll likely be trying this again. When I do, I'll report. The last one wound up as a meatloaf because I couldn't get it to maintain its shape.

Fat is a key factor in those things, that's why sausage ususally works quite well! I tried with lean ground beef and it was a struggle to get it to stay together.

You all should get yourselfs a Traegar, you will never regret it. The dear wife got me one this summer and man they are amazing. The steak's, burger's, pizza, desserts, ribs, chicken, salmon are out of this world. Oh just like Doc mentioned, the venison or elk loins are amazing. Infact my brother-in-law told me the deer back strap was the best he has ever eaten. Next time i use it which is often i will try to remember some pictures of the food. I am not a salesman, just a guy hooked on cookin with a traegar. I forgot to mention the smoked summer sausage made from the fatted spike bull elk, baked potatoes too.

Man, that sounds like some GREAT chow. You might not be a salesman, but your talking me into it.

Scotty,

The Traeger works very well. I don't know that it is better than a Yoder or a BGE, but it is nice. The concept of smoke with the heat makes for a very pleasant gustatory delight.

Back