Enough is Enough?

check out the price on these .

I have two 50 count boxes to go , the ones on the right . I liked how they were packed , I'd grab a box , and just put it in my pocket . now with the bulk packs I need to think of a way to carry them in my pocket . I've been thinking on using a pill bottle . how are you guys carrying some with you ?

View attachment 22032
Jim, I've used a pill bottle for carrying 22 shells when using them for hunting since about as long as I can remember. Even when packed in packs like you're showing. They inevitably ended up opening up sometime during my walking for sq's or whatever, and I'd have a vest pocket full of loose shells. Pill bottle took care of that a long time ago. Simple and easy, and quick to get to more shells to reload when needed.

This is why I got into long range 22 LRs a few years ago. It's cheap, don't have to reload or use up components, still get that trigger time, and it's just plain fun shooting 22s out to 500 yards.

With that said, I have a fine line these days as to what I'll pay since I'm still shooting on $25 powder and $30 bricks of primers, and will do so for a good amount of my life yet. I learned to stock up after the OBummer years, and stock up I did. Now I'm just more conscience minded about shooting my centerfires because not only is it expensive to replace components, it's just hard to even find them amymore.

Maybe it'll get better, but I doubt it. Our government likes to make us all suffer for all their stupidity in the world anymore...

Yes, ammo and components have become pricey...
But this is still amongst the least expensive part of the past time, when you consider the cost of rifles and optics, and other accessories, and then the cost of the hunts that we go on (food, accommodations, fuel, vehicle, gear, etc.). It becomes a matter of priorities and what one is willing to do to play the game.

No, I am not rich, and have had to pinch my pennies to be able to do what I have done over the years on an income that also had many other responsibilities. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't gamble...so I have this past time in which I spend my entertainment dollar.
I am very fortunate to have that which I have taken years to acquire, and I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to obtain much of that which I desired. I worked, hard to achieve certain goals, and those rewards have been cherished as they have been earned.

So I for one, am willing to pay the cost to keep participating in the past time, and for all that goes with it, as it is my passion, favorite past time, and puts food on the table for me, my family and friends.
It also creates precious memories with family and friends that is priceless!
I'm with you on the not rich part and having to fit the entertainment dollars into a budget that supported my family.
Dad taught me to reload shot gun shells and gave me the left over components he didn't use or want.
He also instilled in me the idea of being frugal with my ammo and making sure every shot counted when hunting
He would give me 5 .22 shells for my single shot rifle to hunt squirrels and tell me to bring back a squirrel for each shell he gave me or not get another one to replace it. I did get some supervised practice ammo to learn how to shoot but once Dad felt I was ready to hunt he handed out the ammo as a reward or punishment for not bringing something home to eat. Target practice with my guns consisted of shooting just enough to make sure they held zero and that was it.
Farmers would pay me with ammo for killing ground hogs and barn pigeons, the pigeons also came home to eat the young ground hogs were sold to some people I knew who liked to eat them.
Learning from a survivor of the great depression era was very beneficial and has stuck with me my whole life.
I still have boxes of 12ga wads in the stash that I bought from back in the 60's. Most of them were made by Alcan.
I also still have that Remington single shot .22 rifle I hunted squirrels with.

I'm with you on the not rich part and having to fit the entertainment dollars into a budget that supported my family.
Dad taught me to reload shot gun shells and gave me the left over components he didn't use or want.
He also instilled in me the idea of being frugal with my ammo and making sure every shot counted when hunting
He would give me 5 .22 shells for my single shot rifle to hunt squirrels and tell me to bring back a squirrel for each shell he gave me or not get another one to replace it. I did get some supervised practice ammo to learn how to shoot but once Dad felt I was ready to hunt he handed out the ammo as a reward or punishment for not bringing something home to eat. Target practice with my guns consisted of shooting just enough to make sure they held zero and that was it.
Farmers would pay me with ammo for killing ground hogs and barn pigeons, the pigeons also came home to eat the young ground hogs were sold to some people I knew who liked to eat them.
Learning from a survivor of the great depression era was very beneficial and has stuck with me my whole life.
I still have boxes of 12ga wads in the stash that I bought from back in the 60's. Most of them were made by Alcan.
I also still have that Remington single shot .22 rifle I hunted squirrels with.
As kids on my grandparents farm, Grandpa practiced the same drill every fall for ammo...doling out the ammo initially based on chores we had performed to earn ammo over the summer, and replacing the ammo spent, as earned with small game brought home from each hunt (grouse and snowshoe hares).
When he was first teaching us to shoot, he supplied the ammo, but later we had to earn ammo for target practice via chores. I made sure I did enough extra chores to keep me well stocked for target practice! I spent many an hour practicing with the Model 69A he gave us kids to use!
(Never ran out of chores on the farm!) LOL

Gill it seems we were raised in a very similar culture and it sure didn't hurt either of us.
How is Cheyenne doing, haven't heard from here or Europe in a long time.

Gill it seems we were raised in a very similar culture and it sure didn't hurt either of us.
How is Cheyenne doing, haven't heard from here or Europe in a long time.
Sorry, I haven't heard from our favourite Nosler ladies in awhile...
Last time I chatted with Cheyenne, her and her husband were doing well and keeping busy living the northern lifestyle.
I hope April is still doing well and living the good life sailing around warm, blue waters!

Sorry, I haven't heard from our favorite Nosler ladies in awhile...
Last time I chatted with Cheyenne, her and her husband were doing well and keeping busy living the northern lifestyle.
I hope April is still doing well and living the good life sailing around warm, blue waters!
Thanks for the update, I guess they had enough of the women haters who heckled them when they would respond to post from men who had similar experiences as they had.

But during the pandemic stupid people paid stupid prices for components. That set the tone.
Its true, hoarding really added to that problem. However the manufacturers could lower prices to help the shooting public any time they want....

The biggest problem is so many reloading products are under one umbrella (Vista Outdoors). Now they are in the process of selling that market off to a foreign company. I can’t see how that’s going to make things better here.

Back