Enough is Enough?

I have had a nagging suspicion since 2020 that this incredable reloading inflation is partially because of the amount of new reloaders.
I've been sitting pretty since Obama taught me to buy in good times. But new reloaders post 2020 really have no idea what primers and powders are supposed to cost ( in reality). They've been paying whatever it costs.

It's sad really. This industry is ruined.
True. The shooting public starts hoarding components.. The industry makes more money since demand is up. Its all based on fear. Nothing really changes. The gun shops in my area called it the Obama bump and the trumph slump. LMAO

While I have a more than fair amount of powder and primers I haven't used nor bought any 26, 23 or 16 (do have 1# of 15.5). Adding to the pile only makes average go up slightly. Starting from scratch or low stock will be costly. I haven't reloaded much the last 2 years (health reasons) and none of my 6 kids (ages 15-25) rarely shoot and haven't been taught the ins and outs of reloading yet. I do have a fair amount of factory ammo to support most of my guns. Alliant powders are getting way too pricey.

If I purchase powder or primers,I like to get them when I can get free shipping or free hazmat.At least that helps buffer the cost a little.I've been using: https://www.shootingbot.com/
It doesn't list all the companies,but Natchez,Brownell's or Powder Valley often have a free shipping or free hazmat offer.When I sign up for alerts and they have what I'm looking for in stock,I try to buy what I need then.I quit doing internet searches for most things and stick with reputable companies because there is way too many scammers out there today.

Hate to hear of the challenge you are facing. None of us know what time we have. We can either make the most of the time immediately before us, or squander what is allotted worrying about what could be or failing to seize the day. Sounds as if you've made your choice, and it is positive. May God give you strength and continued opportunity.
thank you. I just wish I was able to go shooting and do some hunting as I was able to do before. But as soon as the weather gets better and I solve the diaper problem I hope to be able to at least go to the range. I am looking forward to a whitetail. hunt with my daughter and her husband. It will have to be my last due to money running out. But it will be nice to have the hunt with them.

True. The shooting public starts hoarding components.. The industry makes more money since demand is up. Its all based on fear. Nothing really changes. The gun shops in my area called it the Obama bump and the trumph slump. LMAO
I hope the Trump slump comes soon. About the only thing I will need soon is more primers and todays prices are stupid. I bought 40k in the late 90's for around 1.50/100. This 10.00/100 price is stupid. If it gets back down near pre Covid levels I'll buy 40+k more and be good for probably the next 20 years unless I really get into prairie dog shooting this summer. I might have to buy double that if that happens.

With some ammo reaching $150-$200 for a box of 20 , we are in sad times.
Even at $120 a box divides out to:
$1.50 bullet
$1.50 case
$1.50 powder
$1.50 primer
Something to keep in mind when shelling out for the current prices of components.

JD338

Here is how you can calculate how many cases you can load with a pound of powder.
7000 grains per pound,so divide 7000 by your charge of grains.So if I load 69.0grs of powder in a case,I can load 101 cartridges with one pound of powder.That would be five boxes of twenty.
1 Pounds = 7000 Grains
So say
$100 for a 100 bullets
$50.00 for a pound of powder
$12.50 for a 100 primers
Your looking at $32.50 for twenty rounds and that's not counting your brass.I'm still loading for around half that,maybe even less,but dang,for a person just starting out loading,it's quite expensive.Then you look at premium ammo on the shelf and you think,dang,I'm sure glad I load my own.

Last edited:
Just going through my inventory, I’m in pretty good shape so I’ll quit hoarding. Found a pound 4064 I paid 34.00 for in 2018. Made a date note on the can. Future value of that purchase in 2023 is about 44.00 (Rounded up) The prices we are paying then are 1.5 to 2 x inflation right now. My guess is that if we get in a shooting war instead of just supporting our proxies, things might get real tough. Funny thing is I don’t recall any shortage of powder and ball during Viet Nam, or the first gulf war. Diesel got expensive but powder and ball were available. Second gulf war was different, I had trouble getting ammo for the PD.

Just going through my inventory, I’m in pretty good shape so I’ll quit hoarding. Found a pound 4064 I paid 34.00 for in 2018. Made a date note on the can. Future value of that purchase in 2023 is about 44.00 (Rounded up) The prices we are paying then are 1.5 to 2 x inflation right now. My guess is that if we get in a shooting war instead of just supporting our proxies, things might get real tough. Funny thing is I don’t recall any shortage of powder and ball during Viet Nam, or the first gulf war. Diesel got expensive but powder and ball were available. Second gulf war was different, I had trouble getting ammo for the PD.
We didn't have Biden giving everything to Ukraine them.

Unfortunately I personally do not see a light at the end of the tunnel. They have us by the cojones and they know it.
As long as there are two wars going on (Ukraine and Israel) and we are supplying both with ammunition there will be a continuous shortage and high prices.

Back