Enough is Enough?

I have had a good supply of centerfire components that I can use for quite a few years now. I bought a lot of stuff before I retired and these days, I shoot a lot less than I used to. I shoot 22LR more than anything else now and I also fish for bass and walleyes a lot more. The only hunting I do now is occasional varmint hunting and I spend my falls grouse and woodcock hunting with my Brit Rusty. I know I will have a lot of shotshell components left when I am gone.

You should be thankful your proces south of the border were/are where they are at...
Here north of the border, people have been asking $100-!50/lb and $100/100 primers! And the less knowledgeable and/or desperate were paying that!o_O

I have a local to me shop where I buy my powder and I can get it there at reasonable prices. I bought RL19 for $52 per lb., IMR4064 for $48 per lb., and IMR4831 for $55 per lb. I was also recently gifted with 2lbs of IMR4064 and 2lbs of IMR4831. I also buy my Norma TAC 22lr ammo for $43.70 per brick where elsewhere it is $49.99 per brick.

Now I know what my father was talking about.

With the bobble headed nincompoops we have in office, both parties, I don’t see a respite from this dearth of components in the near future.

Vince

I have a local to me shop where I buy my powder and I can get it there at reasonable prices. I bought RL19 for $52 per lb., IMR4064 for $48 per lb., and IMR4831 for $55 per lb. I was also recently gifted with 2lbs of IMR4064 and 2lbs of IMR4831. I also buy my Norma TAC 22lr ammo for $43.70 per brick where elsewhere it is $49.99 per brick.
Those are good prices for today's market. Dan.

You might look at at savings this way. Say that the factory loads were $100 for a box of twenty. Each shot was $5.00 out the pipe. Using 50% or $2.50 for the cost of the brass case you still have half your investment. So allowing for the cost of powder, primer and bullet you still have save $250 of the cost of that cartridge. Reload a second time and that case now cost you $1.25. Next reload that case cost you $0.63 of the toal cost or the relead. Every time you load that on case the cost of that case goes down 50%. mosy of the time you don't save squat on the component but the saving comes from the use of the brass case. load a bit conservatively and by the time you reach ten loadings of that brass case, cost will be a non-factor. After that, any good deals on the rest of the components is what you'll have to look for.
Paul B.

Australia is giving away a lot of powder to Ukraine which is why you guys are seeing increased prices on some of Hodgson's favourite brands (eg Target, H4350, 4895). Heck I heard our market is drying up on these too. Projectiles here continue to be in relatively good supply but expensive. I was in a gunshop over the weekend and noticed that if you had a 6.5 and wanted a box of partitions then you needed to part with $155 and this was a shop that would be in the top handful in our country for good pricing. We are also importing primers from India as any poor bugger looking for LRP's or SRP's is stuffed and if you shoot pistols and are out of powder then factory is your only option (though primers seem in good supply). I've been squirrelling stuff away for 15+ years I reckon and have enough to give away to mates in genuine need. I've always been a bit like a Shelia walking past a frock shop not being able to leave a bargin behind, then get home and wonder what in earth did I do that for.

IMR4831 is $65 lb. at Powder Valley, and they have been one of the cheaper online places. The hits just keep on coming. Dan.
That price hike is what prompted me to buy 5 more lbs of IMR4831 at $46 per lb. PV sent an email stating that weekend was the last 2 days before it had the $22 per lb price hike. Didn’t need it but bought 5lbs to beat the increase. I’m at 15-17 lbs of it now, something like that anyway. I use it in 270’s, 7mm’s, and 30-06’s So it will be burned.
That’s the first time buying powder put me in a foul mood. It does no good for me to be upset about it, they wouldn’t price it at that point if we didn’t pay it. It’s a really great powder but not $68 per lb great.

Last edited:
I have been shooting a lot of commercial cast. For my 375 ruger I get bullets for about $.16 for plain base. Add a $.08 primer and a pinch of green dot and have a really fun grouse and plinker load.

$.22 for gas checked and use 30 grains of a reduced load powder and have a close range deer round. 284 grain at 1800 fps.

Potential bad news is my state has a bill put forward to add 11% tax and permit requirements to buy ammo. It just never ends as these laws won't work and politicians need some issue to run on.

In California that extra 11% is in effect. That is on top of the regular state tax. When you figure the state and Federal income tax, the Robertson-Pitman tax, normal sales tax, the $1 Dros fee on all ammo sales, the extra 11% tax plus the approx $50 Dros fee on firearms--then have to wait 10 days before you can pick up the firearm you end up paying more taxes/fees than you pay for the item.
That is their goal-- to make people stop buying firearms and ammo. It is "gun control" in just a reverse manner.

Back