F-class matches

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Possibly the most shooter-friendly way to get into some form of rifle competition. All it takes is an accurate rifle, a good scope, a bipod or rest and some good ammo - loaded w/Nosler Competition Bullets of course! :grin:

Many ranges that host NRA highpower & prone matches are now seeing a growing number of F-class shooters. F-class is a relatively new phenomena in shooting, growing mostly in the last 5 years as an alternative to traditional prone competition. I'm seeing a whole lot of guys who wouldn't have taken up competition shooting, getting involved in F-class because they can compete with their favorite varmint rifle, or long range/precision deer rifle.

Matches vary from 100 - 1000 yards. Here in Washington state, most of the prone matches seem to be 300, 500 or 600 yards. The .308 Win is very competitive, as is the .243 Winchester, the little .223 can do well too, but requires a fast twist barrel to shoot heavy bullets and play with the big boys at 600 yards or beyond. Here's a few shots taken at the North Central Washington Gun Club, during 600 yard matches:

417903.jpg

A .243 I believe. This guy changes guns pretty fast. I'm probably behind!

417904.jpg

One very, very accurate .308 Winchester on a Rem 700 action.

374064.jpg

A deer-slaying 6.5-06!

374066.jpg

A varmint-blasting 6mmBR on a Savage action.

If you've ever thought about shooting matches, but didn't want to invest thousands in specialized NRA highpower gear that is pretty much useless for anything else, consider giving F-class a try. Lots of fun, and you can do it with your favorite varmint/deer rifle & not much else!

Regards, Guy

I have been trying to get into F-class for some time now.I live in Anacortes WA.But I haven't been able to find any range other than Muchias to shoot.I went to one NRA High Power match to see if there were any F-class shooters,& there weren't.The High Power competiters were actually verry rude when I asked about it.Any advise?

I have been trying to get into F-class for some time now.I live in Anacortes WA.But I haven't been able to find any range other than Muchias to shoot.I went to one NRA High Power match to see if there were any F-class shooters,& there weren't.The High Power competiters were actually verry rude when I asked about it.Any advise?

I'll send you a PM!

Meanwhile, consider a trip over the mountain to Wenatchee on the weekend of October 7/8. We're shooting a two-day, 600 yard prone match. You can shoot either day, or both.

Wenatchee is known to be very F-class friendly, and we get a lot of F-class shooters at our prone matches. This is a low-key match. The competitors have a wide variety of skill and experience. It's a good one to start with. We'll even help you get on target if you don't have your 600 yard dope!

Regards, Guy

What are some common off the shelf turn key rifles that would be good for F-Class. Most common calibers? Most common scopes?

Would a Savage 10FP in 308 be competitive? Lot of folks on the web seem to like them. Both of my hunting rifles probably are not suitable due to thin barrels.

Can't shoot IPSC for awhile due to a work injury. Rifle competition seems to be the way to go.

ZM

Yes, an off-the-shelf .308 or .223 Savage or Remington are common on the line at F-class matches, and do a fine job. Either cartridge and either rifle can be competitive.

I shot some good scores with a factory built Rem 700 VS in .308 Win, and my buddy shot a perfect "200" on his first 20 shots in a match with his factory built Rem 700/.308 Win. The Savage is at least as accurate as our rifles.

I'd recommend the .308 because it is so easy to load, also it can be loaded to work well at 1000 yards. It seems to do a bit better in the wind than most .223 loads/rifles. Most F-class matches don't go to 1000 yards, simply because of the limited number of ranges avail w/1000 yard lines. Mostly here in Washington we see the prone matches at 300, 500 and 600 yards at several different ranges. Technically, the .308 and the .223 fall into their own classification, with the guys running the hot-rod custom 6.5-284's and other hot cartridges, in their own class. Sometimes there's not enough F-class shooters at the match to break it down that far, so everyone shoots in the same class. It really doesn't matter to me, I just like to shoot.

Many different scopes are seen. You want something with "click" adjustments for windage and elevation, not the friction type adjustments. A fixed 10x will do fine, but many guys use variables, 3.5-10x, 4.5-14x etc. Target scopes with adjustable parallax and target turrets are very handy. I used a 4.5-14 Leupold, 1" tube, for many years. Am now using a fixed 12x Leupold on my .308 rifle. You'll see everything from $300 - $400 scopes up to $2500 USO scopes. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Watch the eye-relief... In prone many shooters get a little close to the scope and some get whacked! I like to move my scopes fairly far forward in the rings...

One of the best F-class shooters I've ever met started shooting F-class due to a painful injury. Might be just the thing for you Zeke!

Regards, Guy

I'd really appreciate any info you can give me.Especially anything on ranges in NW Washington,other than Muchias.I won't be able to make it to the match in Oct,due to hunting season starting the next weekend.But I'll try another after the season's over.Thanks.

Never been interested in this! Guess I'm just one prejudiced shooter that grew up believing that all shooters should know how to use a good set of aperture sights as well as a sling/cuff and to learn to shoot without using a rest! Yeah....I know all about 'aging eyes' and the usual gambit of data thrown out by those that like this game but in the final analysis.....in a few years there won't be anyone out there that knows how to use aperture sights because of the constant trend to scopes! This is already in evidence by our "Army of One" which is now mounting scopes on Service Rifles because these kids haven't been taught how to shoot using irons! :( :cry: And the main reason F-Class has been welcomed with open arms by the NRA is their constant desire for $$$$$$$!!

Get with it guys! Whatever blows ya skirt up!! :shock: :shock:

375291.jpg

440396.jpg

:grin: Well, my favorite way to compete is still with sling and sights! Just like the Corps taught me - but I do use a nicer rifle nowdays.

Still, I think F-class is a great way for someone with a varmint rifle to at least try match shooting and see if it's for them. Have also seen several shooters who would likely have given up shooting, continue due to F-class. They were physically unable to continue shooting conventional matches due to physical limitations. Mostly though - I'm just seeing a bunch of guys who would likely have never entered a match, shooting some matches, and doing well, with their varmint type rifles. F-class lets shooters compete, without buying a bunch of specialized match gear, that isn't useful for anything else. My shooting coat, match sling, match rifle, stripper clips and other assorted match items are useless for anything except match shooting. On the other hand, I know a number of F-class guys who use the same rifle for matches as well as varminting, or even deer hunting. Interesting to watch F-class grow and develop. And no, I've never even shot as an F-class competitor, prefering to sling up and have at it with my match rifle instead.

Agree that to truly master the art of shooting accurately, the sling and sights should be learned. Re our military using scopes and other optics on service weapons - it's great that we're able to do that! Hit count is up. Much easier to discern targets and place shots with a scope, that's why I hunt with one. As far back as the Son Tay raid in Vietnam, the accuracy improvement by using optics on service rifles was well recognized. Particularly in poor light.

Yes, I know what I'm writing about in the area of combat usefulness of optics, and I also agree with you that the basics of iron sight shooting should be mastered prior to transitioning to optics - just in case. It's rare to break a sight on an M-16 or M4, but even the best optics are more fragile.

Regards, Guy

I also agree that a guy should know how to shoot iron sights.However that doesn't mean that I want to.It's too hard on my eves anymore,& optics allow you to see better.They have disadvantages too,like mirage.But overall I'll keep shooting with my scope.By the way,I am still hopeing to make it to Wenachee for my 1st. match in Nov. Hope to see you there GUY.& thanks.

There's an outstanding range and a very active club not all that far from you. I've shot there before. I believe they hold a 600 yard and a 1000 yard BR match every month. F-class is also a big thing at that facility. Believe there's a LOT of shooting going on there in March 2008.

http://www.sacvalley.org/

Regards, Guy

Thanks for the info Guy and JCalhoun !Found the rules for F class,Looks like the rifles I am considering buying will fit into open class and maybe target rifle class.Have been looking at rifles online all day heh.Like the Kimber tactical,also thinking about a Remington restocked with a Mcmillan or HS precision.Either way will get a 308.Might have to wait till tax return heh. :roll:

Savage has F-Class specific rifles now. They have a Model 12FTR in .308 and a Model 12 F-Open in 6.5-284 Norma. Both come with factory 30" barrels, Anschutz style accessory rails, and Farrell single piece base. The receivers have three action screws, small port and single shot.

Cool! Monte is my neighbor & shooting buddy. His performance with an out-of-the-box rifle at the Nationals was very impressive! :grin:

Back