Favorite 44 mag load?

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
So I have almost everything gathered up to load for my 44mag. I'm going to order some 240gr cast bullets from the Missouri Bullet Company. I have brass, Win mag primers, standard Rem primers, and a full can of IMR4227. Looking for a mild load that will be fun to shoot, but still dispatch critters if need be. Anyone have a favorite load?
Steve

I always used Elmer's load. 22 grs 2400 with 240 cast. Nothing mild about it but really accurate and I never saw a critter that liked it. For a mild load 7 grs Unique did around 900 fps from 7 1/2" barrel and was accurate with 240/45gr cast.

IMR4227 is not a powder you can use for down loading the 44 mag. My Hodgdon manual only list one load for 240 cast and it is the max 22 grs that is a compressed load. On average my manuals list 21 grs IMR4227 as a starting load for 240 jacketed bullets.

Looks like you've locked yourself into IMR4227 & 240 gr cast.

That should work well.

Typically I have two load levels for the .44 mag revolver:

1. Do most of my shooting with a 240 or 250 gr cast loaded to about 1,000 fps. Accurate. Fairly mild, but a guy still knows he's touched off something with some punch. Mostly I use Unique for this (because I have a lot of that sooty old charcoal!)

2. Max or near max level loads with W296 or H110 (They're the same powder, different labels) and 240 - 300 gr bullets.

AA#9 is also good, along with the classic 2400

The .44 is very easy to load, and can be made wild enough that it's a pain to shoot. Most shooting, including hunting, doesn't require full power, maximum loads.

Regards, Guy

I use alot of H110 for mine, but I believe you'd have alot more fun with the 44 shooting reduced Unique type loads. I haven't dug into them yet, but would love to load up a ton of them, and a 240 at 1000FPS with the right bullet would still drive plenty deep into a deer or varmint.

240-250 cast - 5-6grs of bullseye or redot or 700x- very accurate and easy to shoot

240-250 cast - 8.5grs Unique

240-250 cast - 10.0grs unique - fairly snappy

275gr WFN cast - 17.5grs Alliant 2400 - very accurate, penetrates like a drill

310gr WFNGC - 21.0grs H110 - heavy recoil, accurate, did I mention recoil?

I have three loads all with my homecast 250 gr. SWC bullets.
1. 25.0 gr. W296/H110. Will drop that one when I run out of W296. Too much muzzle blast and flash.
2. 20.0 gr. of A2400. Dropped to that level when Elmer's load (22.0 gr. H2400) was considered over max. Shoots just as well and still accurate. Easier on my S&W 629 as well. It's been back to S&W twice now for shooting loose from full power loads. It's an wearly one and apparently they had problems.
3. 5.0 gr. Bullseye. Elmer Keith wrote in one of Lyman's load manuals that this was his practice load. He said that it hit to the same point of impact at 25 yards as his full power loads. In my 629 POI is slightly different but my bullets casts out a bit hedavier which probably explains the difference. Very accurate load. I'll switch to W231 when I run out of bulleseye and save the fuill power loads for a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk.
My GRandson will be here next weekend for his Uncle's wedding on Saturday. He's bringing some of his toys with him for me to play with so I'll load up a few .44's to add to the fun. 8)
Paul B.

Thanks guys. I should also add that I have a ton of 700X to use for reduced loads. I use it for most of my pistol loads, and it works great.

Heath and PJ, great loads, thanks for the heads up on them. Need to load up a bunch of the 44 loads. Been slacking on that lately.

ScreaminEagle":1sprr53c said:
HeathSexton":1sprr53c said:
240-250 cast - 5-6grs of bullseye or redot or 700x- very accurate and easy to shoot

This one sounds like a winner!

About 90% of my 44 shooting is with this one. It hits out to 25yds close enough that I don't have to move my sights from the 17.5grs 2400 + 275 WFN. I shoot the 2400 load quite a bit too. It's not near as hateful as the full power H110 loads.

You can lite a cigar from about 10 feet away with H110 and a short barreled 44 mag.

I wasn't aware that H110 was the same powder as 296. Even after all these years I still learn something new all the time.
But be aware that 296 is not a load for reduced powder loads. All my older WW sources stressed this point and only gave 2 loads; Max, and 1 grain under.
For my reduced .44 Mag. I use good old Unique and it's not as sooty as it used to be, they have cleaned it up some. But mostly I just shoot my single six instead of a reduced load of Unique.
My full power loads in both my pistol and auto carbine I use mostly 2400 these days. I used to use a lot of 296 but 2400 allows you to load a little lighter for pistol practice. I feel you still need to practice some with a fairly heavy load just so you will stay used to it.

I do the full house loads of H110 with Hornady 300 grn XTP. I did have to change the front sight, and got a taller one. The 300 grn bullets would shoot too high, even with the rear sight adjusted all the way down (in my gun).

Fortunately my Ruger has an easy swap front site (just push in the pin, and out it comes). But all I'm saying switching between lighter bullets and heavier might require a different front sight.

I don't worry about it, have one full power load, and am sighted in for that! :twisted: Thats why I bought the 44… :mrgreen:

Horn 300 gr XTP over 21 grs of H110 and a Fed Mag pistol primer ! Shooting them out of my Ruger SBH 4 5/8 " ! I have hold LOW ! LOL :grin: RJ

I just got 500ct 240gr cast bullets from the Missouri Bullet Company. Ordered Thursday and received sat. I'm gonna do a little reloading on father's day!

Rem Jim":37ju5ctn said:
Horn 300 gr XTP over 21 grs of H110 and a Fed Mag pistol primer ! Shooting them out of my Ruger SBH 4 5/8 " ! I have hold LOW ! LOL :grin: RJ

I tried that load with the 300 gr. RCBS cast bullet. Depending on the gun, they shot anywhere from 6 to 10" high at 25 yards. Recoil was a bit stout as well. Apparently you can get taller front sights for the Ruger Redhawk. One of these days I ought to get the lead out (pun intended) and give them a call. I have two Redhawks, a 5.5" and 7.5" barrels. Those two need wheels.
Paul B.

Just an FYI, This load is fun and accurate. It is a little dirty though!

240gr Missouri "smasher"
7gr IMR 700X
CCI 350

For a relatively mild load and the most accurate from my M29, I found 10-10.5 gr of HS-6 with a 260 gr RNFP bullet from Accurate Moulds the best there is. Twelve shots you could nearly cover with a quarter.

For a real hootin' and hollerin' load, 21 gr of 2400 will wind the clock.

300 gr (nosler xtp speer etc) with 20 gr H110 or Win 296

Back