Favorite Elk Rifle

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Hey, what is your favorite elk rifle? It doesn't have to have made a kill, but pictures are a must of the rifle if your posting!

I stole this from 24HCF.. One of the coolest threads I have seen in awhile. I know you all have some awesome rifles, so lets see them! Scotty

Here is mine. It is a Pre 64 M70 Alaskan 338 Win Mag. It went to Idaho this year, but the elk didn't cooperate this Fall. It is a great shooter though and we made pretty good friends this Fall.

My awesome wife got it for me as our 10 year anniversary present when I returned from AFG for the 6th trip.

DSCN0144.jpg

DSCN0127.jpg

4D5CF1A6_zps162b42e8.jpg

87855CD7_zpsb5cae3f2.jpg

Complete_02.jpg

Complete_01.jpg

I don't have anywhere near the elk hunting experience many of you have. Here's the only elk I've ever shot, a pretty good 6x6 bull with a 51" spread, and the plain-jane Rem 700 ADL I used on the hunt. The rifle was a 7mm Rem mag, with a nicely tuned trigger and a 3-9x Leupold. Ammo? A single 175 gr Nosler Partition did the job very nicely:

Elk7mm.jpg

In recent years I've mostly been carrying the Number One when I give elk hunting a try:

IMG_5009.jpg

The .375 ought to work out pretty well as an elk rifle. I've only taken one bear (and an unlucky rockchuck) with it, but the prior owner took it to Africa where it accounted for a fair number of plains game animals and a cape buffalo. I suspect it will do fine when it's time to take an elk. Perhaps this year?

Regards, Guy

Very nice Scotty. Our 10th is coming up in 2015... Maybe Lori can call my wife and give her a pep talk...I believe that NIB Pre64 375H&H is still availale :)

If I have snow on the ground and Im wearing out my boot soles tracking, this rifle has quickly became my favorite: Model 71 Carbine

IMG-20121113-00409-1.jpg

If I am on the ridgetops glassing and stalking. This one will always get the call to come to battery: Model 70 classic stainless in .270. She has taken two elk with two shots. Yes she is laying on a whitetail, but that is the only pic I have of her.

DSC00691.jpg

Scotty,

Not many rifles are at home in elk country as your model 70, .338!
Great choice, as is Guy's .375.

Rifles born for the task at hand, to cleanly kill large, heavy game animals.

Nice rifle a real classic and looks like one Scotty. Don't have my favorite elk rifle anymore but here are a few pictures of it - a Mark V 30-06 Custom with B&C Medalist stock with a Zeiss German post.

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

CR340006.jpg

Shot good 4 shoot group
MarkV3006_zpsb67a6895.jpg

Very nice fellas..

Jim, I was hoping you had some of your old Pre64's you could throw up here. I know you mentioned using a couple here and there.

Again, great looking rifles fella's. Very nice.

Well of course in todays world it would the 35 Whelen with a good 225-250gr bullet. But in the past I lugged the old .338 and always felt it was unbeatable as an Elk or Moose gun . It just flat out works!!!! I have shot some elk with the old 06 with 180/200 gr Noslers and it worked fine when I did my part but for all around Elk hunting were you dont always have enough time to cut a crotched stick and get a "perfect" shot. The .338 was my gun of choice. Here is a picture from Yellowstone fires of the late 80s. This mediumish bull came from the headwaters of the Blackfoot in the Scapegoat Wilderness area notice all the burnt trees??? Rifle pictured was a Steyr Manlicher "Professional" that would outshoot anything I owned, but has a clip problem that eventually lead to its demise
IMG_0001_zpseee167e6.jpg

My favourite elk rifle is the one I'm carrying that day. Here is my 270WSM that worked pretty well a couple of years ago.

PA100266.jpg

I've used a 300WSM on numerous occasions. However, this one is still virgin, but it may get a chance this fall.

P5190103.jpg

If the 300WSM doesn't get a chance, then it will likely be the 9.3X64 Brenneke.

93X644.jpg

Man, I have had a lot of favorite elk rifles, starting out with a .308 Norma Magnum in 1965. A Browning High Power .338 WM in 1969, a Winchester Pre-64 Alaskan .300 H&H in 1974, a Win Mod 70 .375 Ouch and Ouch 1971, another Model 70 Alaskan .338 WM in about 1973, a MauserMar X 7mm Rem Mag in 1973, a .338 WM Model 70 Sporter XTR in 1990, a .300 H&H Alaskan Mod 70 Pre-64 1in 1994, a Win Model 70 .30-06 on 1995, a .340 Weatherby Mark V in 2008 and a 9.3x74R Ruger No. 1 in 2012.

Very nice bunch Mike. That Brenekke is very sweet, as is your little 300. Mine is a virgin as well too. Likely take it hunting this Fall myself.

Charlie, that is a cool group of rifles. Your 340 was a nice one though. Gotta tell ya, I am a M70 guy through and through and that rifle was making my head spin when you sold it. You set it up really nice.

Scotty, Patrick has already killed an elk with the .340 Bee, formerly mine, and 250 gr Partition handloads at 500 yards. I would expect that he will keep doing that as he is much younger than I am. I am too old for that activity now but, if the occasion arises, I still have my 9.3x74R and Mauser 7mm Mag'

I'll have to dig up pics later, but I can't decide between three: Kimber Montana .325WSM, Winchester M70 Classic Stainless .300 WinMag, and my Remington 700 Classic .35 Whelen.

Decisions, decisions! My first and fifth elk fell to the Sako 75 300 WSM. The third and fourth fell to the Weatherby Mark 5 in 30-378. I was hoping to score last year with the 7 STW but there was not one branch bull to stalk much less shoot. While any of the three are more than adequate. I carry which ever rifle I am shooting the best during practice prior to the season. More often than not the Sako gets the nod.
The first bull
View attachment elk 2006 2.jpg
The fourth bull
View attachment IMG_3150.JPG
The fifth bull
View attachment IMG_3989.jpg
The STW
View attachment IMG_0109.JPG

517d2198-b26e-4660-b932-4a9004986872_zpsaa5233e5-1_zps3f28ebeb.jpg

Not much to look at but its my favorite, shoots really well too. Savage 111 7mm RM.

Corey

Checking my records, during the past decade, I've used a .356 Winchester, a 7mm RM, a 300 WSM, a 270 WSM and a 325 WSM to harvest elk. All worked quite well. All those cartridges took moose as well. Candidly, I could be pleased with any one of them again, or any of several other rifles that have not taken elk ... yet.

Unfortunately, I can't post pictures but my favorite elk rifle is based on an Oberndorf mauser action, honey colored stock with a few darker lines, Fleur d Lis checkering and the grip and nose caps are genuine elephant ivory. Cartridge? The .35 Whelen of course. :grin: The rifle is not one I had made but one I found at an estate sale at a gun show. I saw it and when I asked to handle it, I knew that it was coming home with me. The seller wasn't sure what twist rate was in the barrel and it turned out to be 1 in 14". According to some engraving on the floorplate, the rifle was built in 1935 in the full classic style. Everything I've run through the gun has beem 1.25" or less and it's favorite load is 60.4 gr. of Re15 and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. t's a lucky rifle as well. My last elk hunt this last January turned out to show just hw lucky that rifle is. I got my shot at a cow elk and while I aimed at the chest, the bullet broke her neck at the base of the skull. I was positive I'd called the shot right and when I got home I went to the range to check things out. The scope had turned toes up so I sent it back to Leupold nd when it came back the paperwork said, to keep this simple, they reworked the erector system and replaced the windage and elevation adujustments.
I do believe it will go elk hunting again come next January. 8)
Paul B.

Oldtrader3":1evyut3t said:
Scotty, Patrick has already killed an elk with the .340 Bee, formerly mine, and 250 gr Partition handloads at 500 yards. I would expect that he will keep doing that as he is much younger than I am. I am too old for that activity now but, if the occasion arises, I still have my 9.3x74R and Mauser 7mm Mag'

You mean this one? 8)

Attachments

• elk.JPG
    822.8 KB · Views: 954
  • Weatherby Mark V .340 026.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 954
Back