Favorite Elk Rifle

I know that many of you have already seen my 300 WM. But this photo really shows clearly, the clean lines, the meticulous stock work, the ultimate care this rifle has been given. Along with the true quality of the push feed Model 70.
Its actually one of my favorite pictures , because of the cold, dark, damp environment that December in Idaho can sometimes be. This old girl was missing a couple of teeth and many had been ground down to the gum line. But she was fat and great eating.

PIC_0017.JPG

Elkman":37qky3mf said:
I know that many of you have already seen my 300 WM. But this photo really shows clearly, the clean lines, the meticulous stock work, the ultimate care this rifle has been given. Along with the true quality of the push feed Model 70.
Its actually one of my favorite pictures , because of the cold, dark, damp environment that December in Idaho can sometimes be. This old girl was missing a couple of teeth and many had been ground down to the gum line. But she was fat and great eating.

Yeah, that 300WM can certainly do the job, Bill. We're all pulling for you to update the picture this fall.

I have shot 5 elk - 1 raghorn 2 spikes and 2 cows with the .270 Winchester and 130 grain Partition...However I have moved up in power this last year and this will be my new elk thumper...

1st pic is the raghorn the .270 dropped 1 shot 225 yards.

2nd pics is the new 375 ruger 260 nosler accubonds with Swarovski 3-9X36 ( new elk/moose thumper)

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 515
  • 2007_ID_elk_rifle.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 515
F94116FE-orig_zps2621629b.jpg
Here is one of them, my 300 WSM, just put the B&C Alaskanii on it. The other is a 338 Ultra, I will have to post it later.

Wow, nice rifles guys. Those look like great elk busters for sure.

ITH, that 270 Winchester has been treating you pretty well though... Can't knock that kinda success at all.

DrMike":3oposlyg said:
Checking my records, during the past decade, I've used a .356 Winchester, a 7mm RM, a 300 WSM, a 270 WSM and a 325 WSM to harvest elk. All worked quite well. All those cartridges took moose as well. Candidly, I could be pleased with any one of them again, or any of several other rifles that have not taken elk ... yet.

Rechecking my records, I forgot one elk taken with the 350 RM. He dropped so fast I didn't see him fall.

Idahotrophyhunter":235bp796 said:
I have shot 5 elk - 1 raghorn 2 spikes and 2 cows with the .270 Winchester and 130 grain Partition...However I have moved up in power this last year and this will be my new elk thumper...

1st pic is the raghorn the .270 dropped 1 shot 225 yards.

2nd pics is the new 375 ruger 260 nosler accubonds with Swarovski 3-9X36 ( new elk/moose thumper)

Your going to really like the 375R!!!
11-15-08_0835.jpg

First spike! 375R 260 AB. It sure puts the smack down on them. I don't like to use it in wet weather though, the stock is kind of cracked and I'm trying to make it last.

100_3307.jpg

First elk with the 280AI. My wife also has one with it. It wears a McMillan stock now and looks much better!
SU1HLTIwMTEwOTEwLTAwMTUyLmpwZw.jpg

I don't have any pics of my stainless 338 WM with an elk, but it has taken several including my first bull, and my biggest bull. As of right now it is my fave. I'll have to do some digging around and see if I can find any elk pics with that rifle.

But, the 338R that I just built is really creaping up there. I can't wait to poke something with it!

DrMike":232c68eb said:
DrMike":232c68eb said:
Checking my records, during the past decade, I've used a .356 Winchester, a 7mm RM, a 300 WSM, a 270 WSM and a 325 WSM to harvest elk. All worked quite well. All those cartridges took moose as well. Candidly, I could be pleased with any one of them again, or any of several other rifles that have not taken elk ... yet.

Rechecking my records, I forgot one elk taken with the 350 RM. He dropped so fast I didn't see him fall.

I kinda feel guilty not having a picture of the Whelen up here as well. It had the same sorta kill on a decent Idaho bull form me..

9917644801105.jpg

Does it have to just one????? Here's my favorite elk rifles:
L to R: 7mmRUM, 300RUM, 338RUM, 375RUM. All but the 338RUM has taken an elk or 2, now the 338RUM did take my 39" Moose.

RUMFamily2.jpg

I can't pick just one, but I can narrow it down to the 300 and the 375 and the most favorite.

Patrick, I knew that rifle would be lucky for someone when I changed that stock. I am very glad that you got a nice 5 point with the .340 Alaskan. The prior owner to me was afraid of it and never even shot it. That would have been my favorite elk rifle also, if I had ever gotten to use it!

Bill, that is a perfect camo on the .300 WM for western Washington thickets in the fall rain. Noce looking cow elk!

A fine collection of Ultramags, Rich. Yeah, any of those will ruin an elk's day.

A great looking herd Rich !!! It also proves that very old saying ;

"there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had bought a Remington "

Elkman":4u1jlev6 said:
A great looking herd Rich !!! It also proves that very old saying ;

"there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had bought a Remington "

Ouch! That wasn't necessary, Bill. You don't have to badmouth the best; just come over to the bright side. :grin:

All you .30 cal guys - the .300 WSM is no doggone good as an elk rifle! :mrgreen:

IMG_3242.jpg

So there I was. Well up on a ridge in Washington's Cascade Mountains, .300 WSM sitting on my pack, a pair of binos glued to my eyes. I was glassing a HUGE 6x6 bull elk, feeding alone on the edge of a grown-over clear cut, about 440 yards away. Chip shot for the .300 right?

Well, not when it's deer season, elk season is closed, and there's no elk tag in my pocket. :cry:

Therefore the .300 mags are poor choices for elk hunting. Perfectly logical!

Hmmmm... Maybe I just need more coffee.

Guy

Guy, I have been in the exact situation in the Wyoming Bighorn's seeing nice bulls everyday in the snow at dawn but no deer and I had only a mule deer tag and was on a trophy guided hunt for 10 days. The deer were migrating down at night all that I saw was bull elk every day and two little raghorn, mule deer bucks that weren't past their ears. I guess that is why they call it hunting

Rich, don't let Feinstein see those first two rifles. The thumbholes are going to get you into trouble. :lol: My favorite two rifles for Elk are my .338RUM and my .300WSM. Guy, I can assure you that the .300WSM will drop elk and rather quickly. When you hit an Elk with the .338RUM it's literally like a bolt of lightning. I've never seen a bullet work so quick and an Elk go down so fast.

Dr. Mike Wrote
Ouch! That wasn't necessary, Bill. You don't have to badmouth the best; just come over to the bright side.

With that great group of 700's rich had in the picture, how could I resist????

Back