Favorite Elk Rifle

SJB358, I was using Hornady factory loads...225 gr SSTs. I like how short the rifle is. I tis a big bonus while hunting the jungles here in the Oregon coast range.

This upcoming season I'll be using 225 gr Accubonds. Iv'e killed three cows with thim and I love the performance.

d

Gotcha. Thank you for the update. That 225 in the RCM should be even better than the SST.

I agree Fotis. Magic numbers right there.

I have never been elk hunting, but hope to someday. Maybe it will be out west or right here in PA. They kill some nice elk here every year. I picked this gun up around 8 years ago. It's a Model 70 Sporter LT in 338 Winchester Mag. It has a Leupold 3-9-40 on it. I don't shoot it much, but I don't want to get rid of it either since its a Model 70. I also have an 338-06 barrel for my Encore that would do the job on an elk. I have shot one deer with it and it went down real quick.
DSCN0932_zps573097fc.jpg

Not sure it can be properly called an elk rifle, as the likelihood of me ever actually getting to hunt elk with it is unknown at this point. Hopefully, someday. .338 FN M70 Sporter.
View attachment IMG_2117.JPG

If that didn't make it for some reason, I have to think the old stand-by 180 PTs out of the .30-06 at 2750 would work.
View attachment IMG_2016.JPG

I'm also trying to get a load nailed down with 160 PTs for the .280, but it's not cooperating just yet. 140 BTs it handles nicely, but I'm still not giving up on the heavier bullets yet.
View attachment IMG_2013.JPG

Try IMR 7828 SSC for the .280 Rem. I get 3010 fps from 58.0 grains with Fed 215 Mag Mat primer. Hot load, so work up to it.

Oldtrader3":30hjfqic said:
Try IMR 7828 SSC for the .280 Rem. I get 3010 fps from 58.0 grains with Fed 215 Mag Mat primer. Hot load, so work up to it.

Yeah, Charlie, I tried up to 58 but the rifle doesn't seem to be going for it. Neither speed nor accuracy. I checked my dispenser against my beam scale just to make sure. No pressure signs, though, so I might bump up a few tenths at a time to see if it starts to come around

Hegland":3p67vitn said:
Oldtrader3":3p67vitn said:

Yeah, Charlie, I tried up to 58 but the rifle doesn't seem to be going for it. Neither speed nor accuracy. I checked my dispenser against my beam scale just to make sure. No pressure signs, though, so I might bump up a few tenths at a time to see if it starts to come around

You may have a different lot or something? Maybe it will get there with a little more, I had zero pressure signs at 58.0. Did you use Fed 215 primers? I also got < than 1 MOA groups from it. Oh well, if these rifles didn't drive us crazy, something else would! Sorry that you had issues with that load?

No problem at all. That's what makes it fun! Good news is I have a brick of 215M primers and another pound of powder. And it has to stop snowing sooner or later...

Oh that is right, you are in Iowa! Spring has sprung in Washington, these pineapple express spring storms are just cold rain here, not that funny white stuff.

Sorry that you can't shoot now, it will stop soon enough!

Hegland":3m3vzs3r said:
Oldtrader3":3m3vzs3r said:

Don't over look the 7mm 150 gr PT. :wink:

JD338

Or the new 168 gr ABLR coming our either :) should do great in the 280 Rem.

I guess my favorite elk rifle is my 35 Whelen, which is also my favorite moose and bear gun :) I hope to get an elk in the next year or two.

Very nice 338's fellers! Those are some very nice elk getters for sure!

Don't really have a favorite elk rifle cause I sell them once they have killed an elk. For the time being this is my latest favorite elk rifle. 340 Wby Alaskan, soon to be setting in a B&C Medalist.

340wby 001.jpg

Nice! I like that alot Bill. That's just about the best elk or heck, overall cartridge there is. Love the ballistics and the Zeiss looks mighty nice on top of it too. Can't want to see some targets. It looks deadly.

My two favorite elk rifles.
Took 20 elk with the 7mm RM Bicentennial Ruger 77 I bought new in 1976. Except for a mountain goat in 2006, I gave it a graceful retirement to backup in 2002.
My next 8 elk and a moose and a bighorn ram were taken with a M70 Classic Stainless Winchester in .300 WM
with a HS Precision stock and later a Benchmark barrel.

ElkRifles001_zps6861e0fe.jpg

ElkRifles002_zps6ead5568.jpg

OU812":yoxkt9fu said:
Don't really have a favorite elk rifle cause I sell them once they have killed an elk. For the time being this is my latest favorite elk rifle. 340 Wby Alaskan, soon to be setting in a B&C Medalist.

Give me a yell when you decide to sell it. I should be on my feet financially by then...

Back