Favorite Elk Rifle

The last two years in Wyoming while cow hunting, I/we have seen several 300+ bull elk all within rifle range. This year I will have a either sex tag in my pocket. Probably have seen the last of the big bulls.

Never shot an elk before. However if I were to hunt for elk I believe my .333Jeffery would fill the bill as long the ranges were within 200 yards. If the locations permitted for very long shots, my .378Wea maxed with 270grain would become my choice. I am only interested in 1 shot kills.

Guy Miner":10f6xzfg said:
All you .30 cal guys - the .300 WSM is no doggone good as an elk rifle! :mrgreen:

IMG_3242.jpg

So there I was. Well up on a ridge in Washington's Cascade Mountains, .300 WSM sitting on my pack, a pair of binos glued to my eyes. I was glassing a HUGE 6x6 bull elk, feeding alone on the edge of a grown-over clear cut, about 440 yards away. Chip shot for the .300 right?

Well, not when it's deer season, elk season is closed, and there's no elk tag in my pocket. :cry:

Therefore the .300 mags are poor choices for elk hunting. Perfectly logical!

Hmmmm... Maybe I just need more coffee.

Guy

Yup! For sure, you were carrying the wrong rifle, Guy. Drink two cups of coffee and call me in the morning. You'll feel better, believe me. :grin:

Mike,

Two cups of coffee won't touch my system, more like 10-12.

Then I'm rrrr eeeee a dddd y to GO!

Sako TRGS 30-378

Attachments

• sako 30-378.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 545
I haven't had a chance to hunt Elk yet but when I do I'm going to take my $10 Firemans Raffle Gun. 300Wby Vanguard this started life as a S1 with black tupperware stock. I replaced the stock with a B&C Medalist. The scope is a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x44 AO MC with Talley light weight rings. The money for the stock and scope came from tip jar winnings while at the raffle.
Still working up loads for it but it will shoot under 1" 3 shots at 100yds.

Attachments

• IMG_20130111_093558.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 611
truck driver":1fr4odda said:
I haven't had a chance to hunt Elk yet but when I do I'm going to take my $10 Firemans Raffle Gun. 300Wby Vanguard.

More than adequate. Yes, that'll do.

DrMike":ciytcwm6 said:
truck driver":ciytcwm6 said:
I haven't had a chance to hunt Elk yet but when I do I'm going to take my $10 Firemans Raffle Gun. 300Wby Vanguard.

More than adequate. Yes, that'll do.

Thanks DrMike it's been a project from the start.

The .300 Weatherby loaded with 200 grain Nosler Partitions will kill elk like crazy! Good luck with that TD.

Truck driver

That is a sweet looking rifle, very clean and crisp. The price makes it even sweeter. Congratulations !!!!

I kind of like this one! Ruger .338rcm, Bushell elite 3 x 9. This rig got me my first bull which is the one in the pic.

D

Attachments

• DSCF2275.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 866
Great elk! Congrats. What load were you shooting? Don't see many of the RCMs but that looks like a very capable and handy elk rifle.

Scotty,
I'm looking forward to getting out for elk this year with my Nosler Legacy in 300 Win. Mag. I'm going to try to work up something with the 190gr ABLR for it, but if it doesn't pan out, there's always my 200gr AB load that already shoots the lights out. I'm also looking forward to doing some work up for my .280AI Kimber Classic Select. I figured I'd go with the 160 AB when I got home, but then Nosler came up with the ABLRs and I'm scratching my head on selecting the 150 or the 168 now. It seems like the 150 has all the BC I'd ever need, but I wanted just a tad more SD than .266. Maybe I'm just being foolish, as more than a few elk have fallen to my old .270 Win. pushing 140gr slugs (SD of .261) at only 2800fps. I don't think my custom pre-64 M70 .270 Win. wearing that new Bartlein pipe is going to be stocked and ready to roll by the time this hunting season rolls around, but I hope to have her online by the year after. Then there's my ol' faithful rag tag $500 dollar 1949 M70 .270 Win., mentioned above, that still puts 'em into 3/4" and rings the 760 yd gong every time if I'm on my game and screams every year for me to take her out. Hell Scotty, I guess the moral of the story after reading my own post is that I can't choose just one. I love 'em all...
Joe

truck driver":2mnikfy7 said:
I haven't had a chance to hunt Elk yet but when I do I'm going to take my $10 Firemans Raffle Gun. 300Wby Vanguard this started life as a S1 with black tupperware stock. I replaced the stock with a B&C Medalist. The scope is a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x44 AO MC with Talley light weight rings. The money for the stock and scope came from tip jar winnings while at the raffle.
Still working up loads for it but it will shoot under 1" 3 shots at 100yds.

with 82 gr of IMR 7828 and a 200 gr AB at 3050 that thing would destroy anything!

WBY7828loads.jpg

Back