FEG 9mm vs 40cal

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
As a carry piece, I have and FEG Model P9RK in 9mm Parabellum. 15+1 Mag. Decocker. Double or single action. My question is: Is this pistol an adequate carry piece, or should I upgrade to something heavier, like a 40cal.?? I still believe in the idea that if I need to shoot, I have the capability to get one shot, one kill.
Suggestions?
Steven

Personally I would carry something that will penetrate auto glass, a wall, car door, and anything you can think that an attacker may hide behind.
The 9mm has a reputation of not being able to penetrate a windshield on the first shot due to the type of glass and the angle of it.
Do not count on one shot one kill in a high stress environment.

just my $.02

Old #7 did write : "Do not count on one shot one kill in a high stress environment."

I hope that it never happens.

Years ago, as a young man, I sold life insurance in a very dangerous area of the inner city of Baltimore. I was robbed, so I got a carry permit, which in Maryland is difficult to get and very limited. All the city policemen, with whom I would have lunch, would encourage me in various ways, regarding having to throw down on a perp. One officer stuttered, and his advice was: "Once you sh-sh-sh-shoot him, e-e-e-empty the gun into him to be certain that he won't get up and later s-s-s-sue you. Then, quickly reload and make your way to the police station. " While his statement sounds a bit amusing, it is probably the best advice that I received, concerning my carry days as an insurance man.

One insurance agent did shoot a robber. He had an M60 Smith 38Spl. The thing that he did wrong, was to use lead wad cutter ammo. The man fell, got up, ran out of his shoes and was never found. My friend got his revolver back, after an investigation.
Steven

There's no replacement for displacement!!!!!

:lol:

..........and if you do have to shoot, DO NOT give any statement to the police until your attorney arrives regardless of the circumstances!!

Which caliber can you shoot most accurately? Having a 460SW wont be better than a 22 if you cannot shoot it accurately and confidently, regardless of shooting situation..

Thats the question you have to honestly answer.

For many years I carried a .22 Browning pistol when camping in the woods with my family. I never felt particularly underarmed except againts bears and lions, but my primry concern was varmints of the two-legged sort. I figured I could put 10 rounds where I aimed pretty darn fast.

Later I got a 9mm Browning BDM with a 15-round mag. I felt poorly armed all the time because the trigger pull was so bad no one could consistently hit a 5 gallon bucket at 5 yards. (No joke.) I sent it back to Browning with an explantion of the problem and they returned it with a target shot at 25 yards. Great group, but it was shot from a Ransom Rest.

Then, just before 2000, I picked up a Kimber .45 Compact. Never felt underarmed with that puppy as it is accurate and reliable.

After getting the Kimber I decided to get a trigger job done on the Browning 9mm. That turned it into a shooter and I decided ot keep it. No more feeling poorly armed when it is with me.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a used but like-new Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP. It has a very good trigger but I have yet to fire it, something I will correct this coming weekend. I am not expecting stellar accuracy with the short 3.35" barrel, but I don't expect I will feel underarmed with it, either. I'll load for it when I get the components but for now Magtech 85g HP's running over 1,000fps should get me out of any jam I'm likely to find myself in.

Some training I have had in self defense shooting situations suggest the first thing to say to an officer when they ask you what happened is to say " I need a doctor! this screwed up my mind" or something to that effect. and also make sure the perp cant sue.

Being from Canada this topic is somewhat amusing. Wish we could carry, but that wouldn't be "correct". Lord help us if you had to shoot some scoundrel to save your own hide and reduce the crime rate by 1 victim.
I find it funny that a nation that can rationalize having an armed force question ones'need to in turn be able to stand at arms if the need arises to defend ones'person, seems hypocritical to my mind.

That isn't the topic. I would say a 40 S&W with "factory" loaded
Hornady XTP or any other good JHP. It is my understanding that it is a VERY bad idea to use handloads in a CCW. The reason being that a lawyer or prosecutor could, in court, make out your load to have been an terrible weapon specifically designed to take human life or some other rubbish. Better to have a good off the shelf load that performs very close to your favorite handload and keep your CCW stoked up with store bought ammo.

40 Short & Weak because it was designed for this use(exactly the same thing as the handloads except in this case it was designed for LE use). It is designed to have enough force to do the job without lobbing slugs a long way. Specs were a 180 grn bullet @ 950FPS, it is enough, but not to much.

JT.

As a police officer and elected to serve as the department firearms training officer I had the opportunity to attend a number of firearms seminars and schools. Bigger is better in regards to personal safety and I heard many times that the caliber of the firearm you carry should start with a "4". Having been there, seen that, done that I can tell you that lesser calibers work SOME of the time. but many times they do not and will get you killed or severely injured. As far as carrying reload ammo VS factory ammo when you go to court the defense attorney is going to ask you what XTP stands for or what Hydroshock is. Think about it.

Good point, Xtreme terminal performance or Hydrashock bullets are not designed to give hickeys are they......

I wasn't meaning to jab at the LE community with the comments on the 40, I apologize. I've been wallowing in to much antigun media up here and get a little bit weary of all the "politically correctness" at times.

JT.

From a conversation I had many years ago with a lawyer friend of mine, handloads for personal defense are a huge liability. It is so much easier to make someone shooting handloads look like he's bloodthirsty and trying to find someone to kill. Shoot factory ammunition of a similar kind and type to what local law enforcement uses (as long as it feeds reliably in your gun), and be ready to answer the question regarding what you had loaded in your firearm something like this, "I asked my local police force what they recommended for me to use in a self defense situation, as they are clearly more knowledgeable than I am about defensive situations, and this is what they use." Nothing makes you reasonable and benign like having good answers involving law enforcement and cautious preparation.

roysclockgun

I have said for years, "There is no replacement for displacement".
If you are going to get yourself into a situation where lethal force is necessary, use a big gun. The .40 S&W is a better choice than the 9mm but IMHO, the 45 ACP is the way to go. A 1911 is very reliable and easy to conceal. The 45 ACP with a 230 gr bullet was designed my our military as a man stopper.
God forbid, if you are ever in a situation where you need to make a decisive decision, 45 ACP is your best option for a 1 shot stop with a well placed bullet.

JD338

I don't care for 9mm's. I have a Springfield XD 9mm and it shoots great,but I carry a .45.
If you load the 9mm with some Gold Sabers it will probably be effective, but I would rather have a 230 grain 45 ACP
You mentioned the .40 S&W .It is for sure superior to the 9mm, but I can't tell much difference in the recoil of a hot loaded .40 and the .45 ACP.
If my life is on the line, I will choose the .45
I am fixing to load up about 500 rounds of .45 ACP using the Rem 230 grain Gold Saber,I will can them and save em just in case it ever hits the fan. :wink:

Back