Finally broke the jinx

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
The turkey hunting has been pretty bad here in my little corner of Kentucky for about the last 5 years or so. You would go out and sit for several hours in the morning and be lucky to even hear a gobble, much less see one. The last bird I killed was in 2017. Well, maybe we've turned a corner on that situation. Over the last two weekends, I've heard more gobbling and seen more birds than in the last 5 or 6 years, combined. And on Saturday morning, one ol' boy made the mistake of looking for love in all the wrong places. 22 lbs, 11" beard, 1 1/4" spurs. Glad to get that monkey off my back!! 🙂

IMG_20240420_102717.jpg

Very nice, congratulations on your bird. Good to hear the population is doing well again.

Looks like a beautiful way to spend a spring morning! (or several... :) ) Super nice that it works into a filled tag for you! CL

Nice bird. Glad you hung in there. We have the same situation here in my part of WV. Some place there are several and others haven't been as many. Seems to vary from last year. Dan.

Not about a bird but I do think the 7x57 is a jinxed cartridge for me. The sad part is I love shooting it.

First time was back in 1973. Shot a deer ar roughly 80 yards. Deer ran off and I didn't it until the next day. Shot at about 8 in the AM and the and I looked until it was too dark to see anything. Found it next AM by the birds. The coyotes didn't leave much.

Next time I got a clean shot at about 75 yards. Deer ran down into a gully and as I scrambled up the ridge to get to where I could look into the gully my foot rolled one way on loose rock and the rest of me the other way. My hunting partners carried me off the hill. They wouldn't even go and look for my deer. I don't hunt with them anymore. Yes, I was shooting the 7x57.

Last episode was on 1/2/20 when I got into that wreck that sidelined and hunting or shoot up to today. I was checking out my 7x57 reloads prior to departing on an elk hunt about four days after the accident. Needless to say I didn't make the hunt.

I do have a good load for the cartridge running the 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 max during Arizona's very hot summer. I figured it should work just fine during the near zero temps on the hunt. I wonder if I'll ever find out?
Paul B.

Not about a bird but I do think the 7x57 is a jinxed cartridge for me. The sad part is I love shooting it.

First time was back in 1973. Shot a deer ar roughly 80 yards. Deer ran off and I didn't it until the next day. Shot at about 8 in the AM and the and I looked until it was too dark to see anything. Found it next AM by the birds. The coyotes didn't leave much.

Next time I got a clean shot at about 75 yards. Deer ran down into a gully and as I scrambled up the ridge to get to where I could look into the gully my foot rolled one way on loose rock and the rest of me the other way. My hunting partners carried me off the hill. They wouldn't even go and look for my deer. I don't hunt with them anymore. Yes, I was shooting the 7x57.

Last episode was on 1/2/20 when I got into that wreck that sidelined and hunting or shoot up to today. I was checking out my 7x57 reloads prior to departing on an elk hunt about four days after the accident. Needless to say I didn't make the hunt.

I do have a good load for the cartridge running the 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 max during Arizona's very hot summer. I figured it should work just fine during the near zero temps on the hunt. I wonder if I'll ever find out?
Paul B.
Bummer.

Back