First 444 rounds from the bench!!!

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I just finished up loading my first ever 444 rounds. I only made up 10 rounds to try things out. I FL sized, put a flair on the case mouth so the bullet would sit on top without falling over, primed with Winchester LR primers, charged with 46.5 grains of H4198 and set the 265 Hornady FP to the top of the crimp grove and finished with a 1/2 crimp from the Lee crimp die. The rounds ended up at 2.561" COAL.

Also, how do you know if you have enough crimp? I could tell the difference between the uncrimped compared to the crimped. I do not see a noticeable rounding over of the brass into the crimp grove.

The only issue I had was with the Lee case trimmer. It would not slide into the case like all the bottle neck cases I use. I tried it a few times but did not want to force things so I quit because I did not remove much on the 3 I tried. I hope to shoot this rifle one of these days.

I would recommend sizing the case necks before trimming them. They do not exercise the care on bigger straight cases from the factory and the are crooked and oval sometimes.

Good deal. I think you'll be surprised how well they shoot for you. H4198 and the 265's should work real well. Can't wait to see your targets.

You may have to crimp before sizing or after you bell the case mouth if you are having a problem with the trimmer pilot fitting into the case mouth. Compare your crimp with a factory round you may need more crimp. run a few rounds from the magazine into the barrel and fire them save the last round and measure for any bullet movement. Rick.

Here is a little thing I discovered about the lee factory crimp dies that Lee does not tell you. If you trim your cases to the suggested trim to length the case will be too short to allow much if any crimp to be done. You need to leave your cases 5 thousands inch longer than the trim to length to allow enough case for crimping. I bet that you don't have much if any crimp on your rounds. I would put the seating die in the press and back the seating stem way out and place a round in the shell holder and raise the ram and screw the seating die down until you can't go any further with the round inserted. Then back the ram down and screw the seating die down 1/2 turn more and raise the ram with the cartridge in it and see how much crimp has been applied. Your seating die has a roll crimp in it. You can adjust it as needed for more or less crimp.

Back