Fixed power

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I have off and on through the years used fixed power scopes, Leupold, Burris, and Weaver and looked through a friends 6x power Sightron, and I like the Weaver K 6x power probably the most. Yes, even more than the Luepold although it has little less eye relief than the Leupold but is just as clear. In fact very clear when considering the price, looks good, built tough and is light and just right for a short action M48 TGR allowing me to use low Leupold double dove tail bases and rings. So I ordered another one and it will be hear Tuesday along with my TGR in 7mm-08. This will be a good combination for ruggedness and will work perfect for carrying in the mountains or carrying here in the swamp or for use in a tree stand.

Fixed power scopes are simple, rugged and are very bright. I have shot coyote with a fixed 6x scope and shot a coyote at a distance of 426yds, so for deer, bear, lion, hogs I really like them. I have also taken game as close a 20yds out of a tree stand with 6x scope and had no trouble acquiring my target. The tightest group I ever shot was with my 358Win on 5x power (where I tend to leave it all the time) so I can shoot very good with low power. In fact all the groups I have shot and posted on this forum have been with 8 power or less. Well I guess I am running on because I am getting excited about my M48 coming in.

I do believe that a fixed power scope will be a great choice. Man, it'll be great just to have that new rifle in your hands. Of course, we anticipate seeing Photos by Mike.

Nothing wrong with getting excited about a new shootin' iron!

I mounted a Leupy FX3 6x42 on my .243, now I see what the big deal is... very sharp, clear, all those other adjectives that people use to praise scopes. It won't be my last! I'll be getting a 6x36 for Nolan's .223 when I get it, and 4x33s for the .243 and 7-08 I'm gonna get for him.

I'm going to start slowly switching my scopes over to fixed powers since I have two variables that have developed issues now, they are supposed to be tougher and our country is very rough here. Wish I would have bought a Burris FF II 6x40 before they were discontinued I do like what I hear about the 6x36 Leupold and will likely buy some of those. Might have to buy a Weaver 6x38 for the 260 Rem. For the 375 Ruger I might end up with a fixed 4x Leupold instead of a 6X.

Glad to hear you are exited about your new gun coming and look forward to seeing how it works for you.

bullet":3gk0lvm2 said:
I have off and on through the years used fixed power scopes, Leupold, Burris, and Weaver and looked through a friends 6x power Sightron, and I like the Weaver K 6x power probably the most. Yes, even more than the Luepold although it has little less eye relief than the Leupold but is just as clear. In fact very clear when considering the price, looks good, built tough and is light and just right for a short action M48 TGR allowing me to use low Leupold double dove tail bases and rings. So I ordered another one and it will be hear Tuesday along with my TGR in 7mm-08. This will be a good combination for ruggedness and will work perfect for carrying in the mountains or carrying here in the swamp or for use in a tree stand.

I'm curious as to which Leupold and which Sightron you compared the Weaver to. I can see that the Weaver may compare to the FXII and SII, but would be surprised if kept up with the FX3 and SII Big Sky.

I've been seriously considering a fixed 6x and hadn't even thought of the Weaver. If it does, indeed, compare to the latter Leupold and Sightron offerings, I'll have to find one and give it a good look.

I've also strongly considered the Meopta Artemis (which is still available from Euro Optic), but it is extremely heavy for a fixed power scope.

The Sightron SII Big Sky seems like a pretty good buy right now with the $75 rebate. I keep feeling that I should own at least one Leupold though.

First I own the Sightron fixed II and the the Leupold FX3. The Weaver 6x power is better in my opinion than the Sightron II but not better than the Leupold FX3 which is a little better but not for the price difference. Here is how I shot with my 6x power Weaver.

First target is 15 shot group of 120gr BT where I shot one round then clean for 15 rounds and after a few rounds you can see it starting to settle in.
762359da.jpg

Second target is 12 shot group of 150gr BT where I shoot three rounds then clean and it was looking good also.
33df291e.jpg

Third target is two five shot groups with 130gr M/K HP where I shoot five then clean then adjust the scope 1/4" and shoot the next five without a fouling round. The five shot group to the right was the first five shot group and the second five group is the one on the left.
1b6976ef.jpg

Also, the Weaver 6x power did fine holding zero and moved right where I moved it. Yes, I think I will have a good time with this rifle and at only 7.7 pounds including the bases rings and scope when in the field and shooting as good as it does, it will be a perfect spot an stalk rifle. Yes, glad I bought it. I will post results of my accuracy load work towards the end of next week.

Well, I picked up a 6x36 off of another board, so I guess I'll find out the differences between the two. And if I will hate the wide duplex as much as I think I will. What the heck, a LR duplex is only a short truck ride away.

That LR duplex is my favorite set up. Simple and easy to use, especially with a fixed power!

Fixed 6x42 Leupold on a 6mm Remington :shock: - two groups shot back to back

RifleGroups002.jpg

Fixed 4x33 Leupold on a 30-06 Springfield . Last shot on right was adjusted in the scope. Good to go now! :grin:

30-06attherange001.jpg

I love those fixed power scopes and that's all I use. I do enjoy my son's 4.5-14x40 Leupold & his Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest, but I'll still stick with my fixed power scopes! Everything looks the same every time you pull the rifle to your shoulder and they work. Rugged and dependable just like a Leupold!! :)

I have nothing aganst fixed power scopes. I hunted with 4x and 6x Leupold and Redfield scopes for many years until the variables were perfected. However you still lose 1/4 MOA with a 4x at 100 yards in human eye resolution, if you are 20/20 vision. This means that at 300 yards, you could miss a legal branch horn elk in the trees because of resolution issues.

No thanks, I will stick with the variables that I have. I really enjoy having that 9x or 10 x at long range under hunting conditions. Plus my early hunting with fixed power scopes was for whitetails at close ranges. Now I mountain hunt mostly.

Oldtrader3":9w6rucz7 said:
I have nothing aganst fixed power scopes. I hunted with 4x and 6x Leupold and Redfield scopes for many years until the variables were perfected. However you still lose 1/4 MOA with a 4x at 100 yards in human eye resolution, if you are 20/20 vision. This means that at 300 yards, you could miss a legal branch horn elk in the trees because of resolution issues.

No thanks, I will stick with the variables that I have. I really enjoy having that 9x or 10 x at long range under hunting conditions. Plus my early hunting with fixed power scopes was for whitetails at close ranges. Now I mountain hunt mostly.

How could I miss a legal elk in the trees when I would be glassing with my ten power binoculars. Also, I hunt the wide open bean fields in the delta of Mississippi and also hunt the mountains of Arizona with a fixed 6x scope. With all due respect for your comments, I just don't see the problem you are indicating having with my fixed scope. Even when I use my variable scopes I never use my scope like a set of binoculars to lift my rifle and check out if game is legal. In fact it is illegal to use you rifle as a binocular pointing it at something to see what it is. Of course I have 20/20 with my left eye and 20/10 with my right

bullet":3s4wv4vy said:
Oldtrader3":3s4wv4vy said:

How could I miss a legal elk in the trees when I would be glassing with my ten power binoculars. Also, I hunt the wide open bean fields in the delta of Mississippi and also hunt the mountains of Arizona with a fixed 6x scope. With all due respect for your comments, I just don't see the problem you are indicating having with my fixed scope. Even when I use my variable scopes I never use my scope like a set of binoculars to lift my rifle and check out if game is legal. In fact it is illegal to use you rifle as a binocular pointing it at something to see what it is. Of course I have 20/20 with my left eye and 20/10 with my right

Mike, I don't glass with my scope and doubt Charlie does either but if you see an elk at around three hundred and they are on the move, I'm on my rifle scope, not binos, in that instance I would much rather have the extra power in the scope in order to ID if it is legal or not. Again, seconds count and if your rifle glass can't help you out, you may go with out. I know you have been in the same spot before. I doubt anybody here glasses with their rifle scope, but if I have already ID'ed it's an elk and they are moving, I'm on the rifle looking for my shot. Not on the binos. Again, I think that is what Charlie was trying to say. I see nothing wrong at all with fixed power scopes at all. I hunted with a 4x on my 7RM for a long time. I like the extra power though. Scotty

I have been hunting since the mid 1950's and do not EVER use a riflescope for anything but shooting. Give me some allowance for having a scintilla of brains, please.

However respectively, there have been times in my life when I was trying to pick a shot from a milling herd of several animals in oakbrush, quakies or alders where it was an issue to separate animals and shoot the right one. I stand by my post. I have mountain hunted deer and elk for the past 50 years in the west and Scotty rephrased exactly what I said before! I have been in this exact condition several times and had to make a shot on a herd. At that moment, if you are not on your scope, you go home emptyhanded!

I have been in that situation once in trying to pick out an elk and was not successful, and understand what you were trying to say now. I agree and I see why you would want the extra power.

BK":25ho83cm said:
Well, I picked up a 6x36 off of another board, so I guess I'll find out the differences between the two. And if I will hate the wide duplex as much as I think I will. What the heck, a LR duplex is only a short truck ride away.

...before you junk the wide duplex, you should play w/ it a little. I used a FX4 for lots of years, & Leupold actually understood what they were doing. The wideplex was "elk calibrated", using 16" for WT, 18" MD, & 24" elk back to chest avg.'s, if you play w/ it a little & get used to it, you've got a pretty good "quick & dirty range guesstimate", hold over/off for elevation/windage for any cartridge you might be shooting out to 500yds. w/ out dials, knobs, batteries. I've gone to more power, LR reticles on my rifles, but still use the duplex for windage corrections, easy to just hold a post width or two off if you know your drift...

Yup, Leupold 6x scopes are on my .25-06 and .30-06.

A 12x is on my .204 Ruger.

Right now the little 2.5x is on the .22 Marlin 39A. In the past it's been on a .30-06, a .375 and a .45/70 Marlin.

They're all great scopes!

I see you are a man who knows how to simplify his life when in the field. :)

Back