Fun with Onions

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I tried a couple of recipes with onions recently. They turned out quite well as an accompaniment with wild game.

Flowering Onions

4 large onions
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375.
Cut the ends off the onions and peel. Slice each onion 5 times, from top to within 1/2 inch of the bottom. Turn the onion 90 degrees and make 5 more slices the same way, to create a crosshatch pattern, 3/4 of the way down the onion. Place the onions into an 8 x 8 baking dish.
Put the water, honey and butter into a small pot and gently heat until the butter melts. Season the onions with salt and pepper, and then pour the honey mixture over them. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, until the onions have opened into a flower shape and are tender and golden.

This provides an awesome complement with pork, but I can assure you that it goes very well with bison T-bones.

Red Onion Relish

3 large red onions, peeled and chopped
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until most of the moisture evaporates and the onions soften and thicken.
Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.

This makes a delightful relish to garnish for a roast. I enjoy it as a garnish on my eggs each morning, as well. The flavour is delightful.

Back