Greek Souvlaki

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Souvlakia are traditionally wrapped in pita bread and then topped with a variety of condiments - tomato, onion, and of course, the famed tzatziki sauce.

You will need to plan ahead and allow at least 2 – 3 hours for the meat to really absorb the flavors.

This marinade recipe is for a pound of pork shoulder and will yield about 4 (9 inch) skewers. You can multiply it according to your group size.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
2 fresh lemons
1 tbsp. dried mint
1 tbsp. dried oregano
4 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced finely
1 bay leaf, crumbled into tiny pieces
1 lb. pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 ¼ inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon (for serving)
Preparation:

In a large non-reactive bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Add the pork cubes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

If using wooden skewers, soak these in a shallow pan filled with water while the meat marinates.

Heat the grill to medium high. Thread the meat on to the skewers (about 6-7 pieces per skewer). Season the pork with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Grill over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally until they are cooked through. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice (with olive oil and oregano mix) on the skewers before serving.

Prep the pitas.
Baste them with olive oil and oregano and heat them up on the grill.
Remove the pork from skewers place in pita with tomato, tzatziki chopped up parsley and onions. French fries are optional.

Enjoy!

Souvlaki2.jpg

It looks as if it is grilling season in Cheyenne. I suspect this recipe will get a test shortly.

Looks good Fotis. Try it with mutton or goat. Makes my chops water just thinking about it.

Fotis
Can you subsitute the shoulder with loin or pork fish(back strap). I just ate dinner and I'm hungry again.

Absolutely!!!! chicken lamb and any pork meat. Some even put beef meatballs in Greece.

How's it fare with elk, antelope, and venison?

I imagine it would be quite tasty but wanted to check with you first.

Fotis, when I was on the job I used to spend a lot of time at a local greek restaurant and Souvlaki was my favorite. Your absolutely correct on the flavors and if I remember correctly everything they served fit my taste buds perfectly.

Been waiting for this FOTIS got your sauce recipe and glad I was digging around and found this one !! Appreciate it !

I know the recipe calls for pork but some folks use beef even.

So how would this fare with venison? Would I be wasting good meat to use venison or is it worth trying?

Fotis my friend, my wife will be making those for supper tomorrow night as we are having company over.
I can't wait to sink my teeth into them :mrgreen:
Thanking you in advance.

Blessings,
Dan

Please advise.... on how they turned out

Vince":ad856r4n said:
I know the recipe calls for pork but some folks use beef even.

So how would this fare with venison? Would I be wasting good meat to use venison or is it worth trying?

Asking this question again.

Somebody? Anybody?

Does this recipe, by anyone's estimation, help to enhance the flavor of venison? I'm leery to try this for some reason. Most likely because pork was listed as the main meat and pork and venison are opposites in my mind. I tend to substitute venison for beef in most cases when selecting recipes.

Since some folks substitute beef for the pork I'm thinking venison might be good in this recipe.

I would be inclined to use it, though I have not actually done so. I substitute moose, elk and venison in almost every other recipe, adjusting for the leanness of the meat. I've had no particular problems at this point.

Fotis, your Souvlaki was a great success. My daughter advised it is the best she has ever eaten. My granddaughter is way to fussy eat 2 Pita pockets. My grandson never eats anything but peanut butter & honey sandwiches even liked it. My friend it will be our only recipe for Souvlaki in my house :wink: .
My wife did one thing different she marinated it over night!!!

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike":1u7jc9z7 said:
I would be inclined to use it, though I have not actually done so. I substitute moose, elk and venison in almost every other recipe, adjusting for the leanness of the meat. I've had no particular problems at this point.

Thank you Dr. Mike.

I too am inclined to substitute game meat but being that the original recipe called for pork I wasn't sure. Most of my recipes call for beef. :grin:

I did see where some do in fact use beef instead of pork but was afraid using beef would reach the end of the comfortable palate and game meat might be too far from the original recipe to be pleasing to the senses.

Beef souvlaki is quite tasty; I imagine that venison souvlaki would be very fine table fare.

Back