Grouse Galore!

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Just an update on New England bird hunting. Seams to be alot of native Woodcock around. Patridge numbers are down, but with good dog work, it's still possible to have a great day! 3 limits yesterday.....
E

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 29
Looks good. My girls are still recovering from surgeries. Stitches in for another week. Then we get to start Chukar and Pheasant hunting. That gross looking mass weighed about 1 1/2 pounds from Miss Sugars armpit. Molly had some smaller non carcinomas removed since we were there kind of thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpeg
    IMG_6414.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 12
We use to have some great Ruff grouse hunting till the younger generations started selling of the home steads and now all we have is overcrowding from developments and resorts where the gen x can run their side by sides racing threw the mountains and old farm steads.

Our bird numbers are way down this year...the first year of low population of the 7 year cycle, after several very good years...
We spent the day out last Monday cruising the backroads and trails looking for birds...we saw 5 and came home with a ruffie, a dusky and a spruce hen.
Still, a great day in the woods, as we also saw 2 very nice bull moose cruising for cows as the rut is starting here.

One of my favorites is partridge and woodcock with wild rice!

JD338

Grouse has always been the best eating of the game birds around here. But I shoot a lot of chukar and quail too! Good work Earle.

Very nice. I can’t remember the last time I jumped a grouse. Never intentionally hunted them, but used to bump them all the time.

We call them “Chickens “ over here in Idaho. Back in Northern Minnesota we called them Partridge. In Wisconsin everyone just called them Grouse.

By any name I still grab out 4 or 5 each season on the good years and on a bed of wild rice they sure are good.

Here in Maine they are called "Pat-ridge. For he Pat's on the ridge.
Same as Cartridge; here they are referred to as Cat- ridges. No R's involved. A Coleman lantern is called a " lantin" dropping the R again. The breast are commonly added to Baked Beans. Lots of folks luv them fried out in bacon drippings with eggs for Breakfast. Gives the lipitor something to work on.
E

Back