Gun smith shortage?

Razorbacker

Beginner
Mar 31, 2013
Mods, not sure if this is the proper forum but the topic was prompted by work I need done on a couple of rifles but move it if you see fit.
In any event, I used the same gun smith for many years. But he's gone now. My back up guy does good work at reasonable prices but he's been going down hill health wise. I finally got in a new trigger for one of my 700s. I have 2 total I'm replacing triggers on, anyway so I called him and at first he said he was shutting down and couldn't help me. But then I told him who I was and he said if I would bring them in next Wednesday at 8am and pick them up no later than 5pm he would do it for me.
I've been asking around for a while now and the only other guy I can find just wants to talk about building me a custom rifle. On the few chores i asked him about his pricing was high as a Giraffe's behind. i don't know what I'm going to do.
Anyone else have this issue? I mean to me, having a 'smith i can trust is a big deal.

Think of it this way. If you were in the stage of your life to follow a new career, would you choose gunsmithing given today's reality?

FOTIS":2d4xmqn8 said:
Think of it this way. If you were in the stage of your life to follow a new career, would you choose gunsmithing given today's reality?

Right, the Obama plan is working.

I am lucky I have two old friends one a registered smith the other a retired machinist. One lives 200 miles west the other 300 miles east. There are two here in the local area that I do not know, and Boise has several there. So we are smith fat, and component poor like everyone else. I am headed east tomorrow to pick up my STW. With the new Lilja barrel. I have high hopes. !!!!

That is why I have been doing my own work. I can do most things but do not have the luxury of a Gunsmith that I know near me here. Some things like recoil pad installation, I would much rather have a smith do for me.

I lightened up a single action USRA revolver trigger yesterday and a simple job took me twice as long because I did not follow the correct sequence in reassembly of the lower frame pieces after changing the trigger spring. Just being in a hurry and taking twice as long because of it!

Elkman":27jjo5k3 said:
I am lucky I have two old friends one a registered smith the other a retired machinist. One lives 200 miles west the other 300 miles east. There are two here in the local area that I do not know, and Boise has several there. So we are smith fat, and component poor like everyone else. I am headed east tomorrow to pick up my STW. With the new Lilja barrel. I have high hopes. !!!!

You are lucky and this is a great reply in that you show me a retired machinist and I'll show you a gun smith. Especially if he has his own shop.

Razorbacker":2r9x6331 said:
Elkman":2r9x6331 said:

You are lucky and this is a great reply in that you show me a retired machinist and I'll show you a gun smith. Especially if he has his own shop.

A true gunsmith is a machinist.

My 'smith makes his money as a machinist and gunsmiths on the side. That's why he takes so long, besides having orders to keep him busy until 3037. My Dad was a machinist and turned down more gunsmithing offers than Carter had pills.

A good gun smith these days is hard to find.
Mine is 150 miles away but worth the drive.

JD338

Brownell's (or was it Midway?) used to have a gunsmith locator service. You might try that. Even out here in the sticks of N.E. Colorado, I keep busy enough with gun work and repairs to still make it fun. You are correct in saying that most young "smiths" want to be high-end custom gun makers, rather than doing the everyday dirty work like recoil pads and cleaning filthy gas shotguns. When they find out that they can't be another Clayton Nelson or Al Beisen, they drop out and get jobs at Wal-Mart as the in-house "gun pro". ha-ha!

I'm lucky in that I do have a good one here in Tucson. He's not only very good but extremely anal about the quality of his work.
Paul B.

PJGunner":2bh01tus said:
I'm lucky in that I do have a good one here in Tucson. He's not only very good but extremely anal about the quality of his work.
Paul B.

That is what we need!

I say grab a couple of books and learn to do the small work yourself. I wouldn't think a M700 trigger would be that difficult to install yourself and adjust the trigger. I went to Savage rifles because I can do most of the work myself with minimal tools, and have even installed a short chambered Mauser barrel myself and finish reamed the chamber by hand. I probably wouldn't do that one again as it is terribly messy and my wife complained about the state of the garage floor even after I cleaned it up. ;)

If it requires a mill, lathe, or other specialized fixtures I take it to a GS. If it doesn't I'll do it myself if I have the time and have read up on how to do it. I like being a little more self sufficient.

nvbroncrider":ib9acma3 said:
Your right a 700 trigger is 2 pins and a spring. A 70 is 2 pins and a spring it's pretty easy.

I'm sure it's no big deal but i have a nerve damage issue in my left hand that makes me basically one handed. Full strength but zero motor skills.

Anywho I picked up my rifles from my 'smith today, dry fire only so far but I'm well pleased.
My .30 '06 required a little dremel work and a shim to make the Timney work. (glass bedded) It breaks a little heavy for my taste but zero creep or grit, just a heavier than desired glass rod. i feel comfortable adjusting that downward.
The 8Mag with the Shilen is think about squeezing with your finger on the4 trigger and BANG. I'm guessing less than a pound. Perfect for the still hunting that I mostly do.

That's too bad. But I'm glad to hear you still can go out and enjoy shooting and hunting. I have a Jewell on my 280 AI and if I could every rifle would have one no creep 1.5# break its awesome. After 200 rounds I'm finally comfortable placing my finger on the trigger.

Back