H-1000 powder old and new

OldMan

Handloader
Dec 24, 2008
I have a couple of cans of the H-1000 that I bought when it first came out, it doesn't say Extreme. Is it a different powder than you can buy today?

I have never heard of "Extreme" guess I will have to get out of myyyyyyyy favorite chair and go down and look?

It is the same powder, subject to the caveat that it is a different lot.

Went and checked powder, my newest lb. dated 2010 (I date them all when I buy them) says nothing about extreme?

DrMike what do you know?? Just more word smithing or an actual change? Also while we are on the topic (kind off) What is the structural difference in a 5 year old Hornady SP bullet and a brand new Hornady SP Interlock bullet????

Same powder. Hodgdon started marketing the Extream powders a few years back. So long as it has been stored properly, it should work just fine.

JD338

I too had the same question about two yrs ago, actually called Hodgdon on it..

Doc & others gave the same answer I got from Hodgdons,

Rod

Thanks everyone, I bought this stuff when it first came out, which must have been lots of years ago. I tried it very briefly in my 300 Win Mag and don't even remember what happened. I also tried it in a friends 300 Ultra more recently and it sucked in that rifle. I guess I should try it on the 300 Win again before I fertilize the lawn with it!

Well if it don't work out I'll make you a deal on it. My 243 love H-1000 with the heavy bullets. I see your from eastern oregon as well so don't throw it out, I'll come get it.

jmad_81":14z2ggeu said:
Well if it don't work out I'll make you a deal on it. My 243 love H-1000 with the heavy bullets. I see your from eastern oregon as well so don't throw it out, I'll come get it.
Well my son lives is Hermiston so we could get it to you if I find it doesn't suit my needs!

The thing I note about H1000 is that regardless of cartridge used, I needed to use dang near the heaviest bullet in that caliber b4 she shot decent and then I even found RL25 to work bestter for my applications..

Rod

Back